No announcement yet.

I'm going to Australia!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yay! Congrats! I'm sure you'll love it and a year?! That's so awesome!
    Our love story:
    Attended the same high school 2004-2007
    Dated CD: June 2009-July 2010
    Reconnected: August 2012
    Began dating LD: November 2012
    Engaged! March 2014
    Closing the distance: December 2015

Comment

This made me smile... Congratulations. I hope it will be a happy year.
      ”I vow to fiercely love you in all your forms, now and forever. I promise to never forget that this is a once in a lifetime love. I vow to love you, and no matter what challenges might carry us apart, we will always find a way back to each other.”
      The Vow

Comment

Very jealous have an amazing time!

Comment

So happy for you!

Comment

Very lucky

Comment

Congratulations!! So happy for you!! (and unbelievably jealous) I'm from London as well and my SO lives in Australia (Cairns) I'll be over there this summer for 2 months during my university break! Once I've graduated I will be on the first flight over there! I'm guessing you've got the working holiday visa? Are you planning on fully emigrating to Oz eventually? Sorry for all the questions, I haven't met many people in the same situation! I wish I was you right now haha!

Comment

eeeee hello!
                I've spoken to some backpackers but not anyone in an LDR the same as ours :P Whereabouts in London are you?

Don't apologize, I'm sure my SO and my cousin (who I'm gonna be staying with out there) have been driven insane by me asking so much haha, but I think they get that its a big thing. Yeah I got a working holiday visa, so its valid for a year then you can extend it if you do 3 months specified work, they have a list I think. I might do that at some point, so I've got the option of going back/staying out there a while longer.

We've not really decided who's going to be moving yet, we've talked about it and have said that as long as both of us are open to the idea of being the one to move we'll be fine and don't really have to think too much about it yet My SO was over here for 9 months last year, he has just got into uni now in Brisbane so he'll be there for another four years yet, but I've actually just graduated so I guess its my turn XD

If you want to ask about anything just let me know! x

Comment

Originally posted by leanne01 View Post
                  Congratulations!! So happy for you!! (and unbelievably jealous) I'm from London as well and my SO lives in Australia (Cairns) I'll be over there this summer for 2 months during my university break! Once I've graduated I will be on the first flight over there! I'm guessing you've got the working holiday visa? Are you planning on fully emigrating to Oz eventually? Sorry for all the questions, I haven't met many people in the same situation! I wish I was you right now haha!
                  Originally posted by louisekerry View Post
                  eeeee hello!
                  I've spoken to some backpackers but not anyone in an LDR the same as ours :P Whereabouts in London are you?

Don't apologize, I'm sure my SO and my cousin (who I'm gonna be staying with out there) have been driven insane by me asking so much haha, but I think they get that its a big thing. Yeah I got a working holiday visa, so its valid for a year then you can extend it if you do 3 months specified work, they have a list I think. I might do that at some point, so I've got the option of going back/staying out there a while longer.

We've not really decided who's going to be moving yet, we've talked about it and have said that as long as both of us are open to the idea of being the one to move we'll be fine and don't really have to think too much about it yet My SO was over here for 9 months last year, he has just got into uni now in Brisbane so he'll be there for another four years yet, but I've actually just graduated so I guess its my turn XD

I'm in the Australia to Uk club! I have actually noticed A LOT more Aus to UK people joining the forum lately (like you guys!)

My SO has applied for a Prospective Marriage Visa and he just did his medical for it YESTERDAY so we are super excited about that, he should be here for good in about 6 months!

The Working Holiday Visa is a great option if you're unsure where you guys want to close the distance long term like you louisekerry , or if you're not ready for marriage yet.. but you DO have to leave Australia once the WHV has expired and if you want to move back you have to apply for a permanent visa, which you would probably apply for on the basis of your relationship such as the Partner Visa or the PMV (the one me and my SO have gone for) which can take upto 9 months for them just to process it, and you have to factor in the preparation of the visa before you submit it as well.

Just wanted to give you guys a little more info on the next step after the WHV if you want to close the distance in Aus from someone who is actually going through it right now!

me and my SO decided we didn't want to be 'semi-closed distance' with the WHV, and it wouldn't work out very well for him to move back to the UK after a year abroad so we have gone the permanent visa from the start, but if your circumstances allow you to move back for approx a year whilst waiting for a permanent visa then the WHV is a great way to be together for a year without a long wait, and test out what your relationship would be like close distance

Very exciting for you louisekerry, make sure you come down to Melbourne whilst you're here
                  Last edited by Jazi; February 6, 2013, 09:58 PM.
                  Met Online: February 2009
                  Feelings grew: January 2011
                  First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
                  Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
                  Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
                  Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
                  Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
                  Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
                  Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
                  Engaged: 1st of July 2012
                  Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
                  Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
                  Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
                  Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
                  Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
                  Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

Hello! thank you for the advice
                    I've got the initial one year visa right now for the working holiday, I'm going to see how things go and if after say 4 months I decide I want to stay another year I'm gonna try and find the 3 months specified work, apply for a second year WHV, come home for a bit and then go back on that. (Apparently you can do your second year at a later point if you've done the 3 months work)
                    I think at some point between the middle of my first year and the start of my second we'll probably start talking about who's going to move, and get things moving from there I hope your visa process goes well too and that your SO can be there with you soon!
                    I will definitely be visiting Melbourne at some point, I'll be based in Brisbane as I'm staying with family but after working for a while I do plan on doing some actual backpacking I've actually wanted to go since I was around 16/17, it looks like a beautiful country and I've just been pretty much in awe of most of the Aussies I've met, I love how happy you all are! :P

and I just booked my flight! 5 weeks, can't wait!

Comment

yaaaay travel to Australia, congrats! ^.^ I'm so curious, how much is a ticket from the UK to Aussie? From America to Melb, it ended up costing us about 1700

sorry if that's being too nosey, I love having people that are kinda going through the same thing

Comment

Oooh! No worries, I booked with STA travel. They do discount flights for students and people under 26 years old so my ticket (one way, with Malaysia Airlines) cost £535. Maybe take a look at flights with them?

Comment

Originally posted by schwee44 View Post
                          yaaaay travel to Australia, congrats! ^.^ I'm so curious, how much is a ticket from the UK to Aussie? From America to Melb, it ended up costing us about 1700

sorry if that's being too nosey, I love having people that are kinda going through the same thing
                          My SO usually books his flights through Qantas from London Heathrow to Melbourne Airport and it costs him about £900 at the best price, and £1,300 at the worst price for a return ticket (depending on what time of year he flies and all that..)

It costs me heaps more to fly to him though, it costs somewhere between $2,000AUD and $3,000AUD, usually closer to $3,000 though. guess things are just more expensive for Aussies!

Comment

Originally posted by Jazi View Post
                            My SO usually books his flights through Qantas from London Heathrow to Melbourne Airport and it costs him about £900 at the best price, and £1,300 at the worst price for a return ticket (depending on what time of year he flies and all that..)

It costs me heaps more to fly to him though, it costs somewhere between $2,000AUD and $3,000AUD, usually closer to $3,000 though. guess things are just more expensive for Aussies!
                            That's crazy, I haven't paid more than $2250 to go to Europe (and that was during Euro summer).

Comment

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
                              That's crazy, I haven't paid more than $2250 to go to Europe (and that was during Euro summer).
                              I've always flown Qantas, which probably explains the price difference, and I fly usually on specific days so my SO doesn't have to take unnecessary days off work to pick me up..

Last trip it was like $2,780 for a flight leaving early dec and returning early Jan, would have been cheaper if we booked for even earlier in dec and i returned mid jan but circumstances meant we couldn't have that extra time/cheaper ticket...

How do you book your flights, Tooki? What kind of stopovers/do you book straight through with one carrier or with multiple? I have always chosen the most direct flight with Qantas on the days that i need to fly.. I always have flyer points though, so it takes about $200ish off the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazi View Post
                                I've always flown Qantas, which probably explains the price difference, and I fly usually on specific days so my SO doesn't have to take unnecessary days off work to pick me up..

Last trip it was like $2,780 for a flight leaving early dec and returning early Jan, would have been cheaper if we booked for even earlier in dec and i returned mid jan but circumstances meant we couldn't have that extra time/cheaper ticket...

How do you book your flights, Tooki? What kind of stopovers/do you book straight through with one carrier or with multiple? I have always chosen the most direct flight with Qantas on the days that i need to fly.. I always have flyer points though, so it takes about $200ish off the price.
                                I usually fly Finnair (where I have a Qantas flight from Melbourne-Singapore).

I chose to leave in late November which saved me about $200 (My flight was around $1775 this time around). When I went in Euro summer I flew to Paris and booked it with STA (I flew Qatar Airways and Emirates via the Middle East). I usually book it via Finnair as well(so I get connected to Tallinn, not just Helsinki).

Comment

Working...
                                X