Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to buy a new suitcase. Any suggestions on brand, size, hard shell or soft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to buy a new suitcase. Any suggestions on brand, size, hard shell or soft?

When I arrived in Stockholm when I visited my SO, I saw that my suitcase had lost a wheel along its journey. It also had a bit of metal sticking out, but that has been that way for a while now. The metal sticking out makes it a bit hard to zip at times, and I'm worried that it will eventually stop zipping. Anyway, I am more than likely going to be buying a new suitcase before my next trip. I was wondering if any of you had any type of suggestion as to purchasing a new main suitcase such as brand, size, hard shell or soft, 2 wheels or 4 wheels, any certain thing to have on the inside, etc. Any suggestions at all will be appreciated. This is my first time actually purchasing a suitcase. The one I have now I've had for probably close to 10 years, so my parents picked it out, lol. And, yes, I understand that, size wise, I will have to make sure the size fits under airline regulations as well. Anyway, thanks again!!
    Last edited by kria; January 13, 2013, 10:21 AM. Reason: Added some information
    sigpic

To read our love story, click here.

Luggage is sooo expensive huh? Especially for something that gets tossed around and dragged all over the place. I bought my 5 piece set at walmart for 50$...I'm not even kidding. It's big and red and I LOVE it. Came with carry-on, laptop bag, cosmetic bag and more!! So if it does end up breaking, I wont feel so bad. I've dragged it to Atlanta a bunch of times and it's still in great shape!

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
    Married April 18th, 2015!!
    Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

You are looking for a main bag, so I assume a pretty big one. I have moved several times abroad and I love my Samsonite bag. It's a "rolling duffle" so it's like a duffle bag but it has a hard bottom and it's on 2 wheels. I've fit a lot of stuff into that bag!

Comment

I'm a picky shopper, so I spent a long time online comparing prices and quality of suitcases when I had to buy one a couple years ago. That's just what I do, but I totally recommend it to anyone who goes shopping.

My recommendations (aside from that) are:
        1) Go in-store somewhere and physically look at some suitcases to get a feel for what the material will do to the weight. Most checked-bag-size suitcases will probably weigh around 6-12 lbs alone, so that is always a factor to consider. You might find that you like the sturdiness and structure of a hard-shell (I personally don't) more than reinforced fabric (which I have and love). You might also decide that you don't want a checked bag-- that you'd rather go with a smaller bag that you can bring on the plane with you (I think the limit for that is a 22 inch bag).
        2) Look for something with a distinctive pattern. You want something that you will recognize immediately and that stands out from the rest. This is why some manufacturers retire luggage so quickly. The suitcase that I ended up buying was already retired and had been replaced with a newer version, but I didn't like the newer version at all, so I spent ages looking for the old one. You don't have to get too hung up on this, though-- I just recommend staying away from boring old black, because that is, by far, the most common color I see. Even buying one of those colored straps to put around your luggage is a step up.
        3) Think about size. I was VERY tempted to get the largest size allowable once I'd chosen a brand of bag (32 inches long), but after considering for a while, decided I didn't want to allow myself to pack TOO much (I have a tendency to approach the weight limit on my return trips) or be bogged down by an enormous bag and didn't want to suddenly be stuck without a bag if the airlines decide to make their luggage size limitations any smaller, so I went with the 26 inch version instead. I'm so glad I did. The bag is the perfect size for me!

This is the one I ended up getting:

(High Sierra ATQ)

It's an expensive brand, you can definitely find cheaper ones. I kind of love all the functionality of it, though. It has an upper and lower zip-closed portion with buckle straps inside the lower part for securing things (like wine from Greece ). The lower part has an expandable portion that gives it an extra 2 inches of vertical space, which I find extremely helpful, both for limiting the size of my bag and for giving me extra space when I need it. It has a sectioned off collapsible pocket on the top that I use to store things like sunscreen and face wash, in case something happens and they get bumped the wrong way and burst (so it's contained in the pocket). There is a flat pocket on top of that that's the perfect size to fit papers and a passport, in case you need somewhere to store them while you're away (just don't pack them in there during your flight :P). The "lid" to the top section also has a mesh pocket that is useful for separating things like socks and things that you don't want to get wrinkled. The external has two huge buckle straps that allow you to condense the bag even more if necessary. I like zipping the zippers up to behind one of the buckles so it's harder to see where to get into my bag. The walls of the suitcase are all lightly padded, which adds a little weight but also gives it good structure, so it's kind of in between a fabric bag and a hard shell.

Sorry for the long post... lol
        Last edited by kittyo9; January 13, 2013, 11:41 AM.
        Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
        Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
        Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

I really like my 4-wheeled hard case. I like how it doesn't squish my stuff, like my soft one did, and that the 4 wheels make it much easier to maneuver through airports. I also made sure it was as obnoxious and colorful as possible because it makes it very easy to spot coming off of the conveyor belt.
          Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I can't resist sharing my luggage-fail anecdote When I was on my way to see my SO during the summer the handle of my suitcase jammed as I was loading it onto one of the luggage racks on the Eurostar. I had to leave it sticking out like that, but wasn't too worried because I didn't think it wouldn't cause any problems. By the time I went to collect it at the end of the journey though, the handle had been snapped clean off by a member of staff who had obviously tried to ram it back into place - what force (s)he must have used! I ended up having to drag the thing halfway across Paris with my SO, using a scarf wrapped around one of the non-extendable handles (which broke as soon as we made it to my SO's place, haha).

Anyway. Turns out whoever killed my suitcase did me a favour, because the new one I bought - four wheels, hard case, medium size, silver - works like an absolute dream. I think it cost me 35 euros. I love mine for the same reasons that Moon above me likes hers

Comment

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who gave me advice on finding a new suitcase. You all have truly helped me. I'm going to take a look around at a few different stores before looking more online so I have more of an idea of what I'm wanting in a suitcase.
              Don't worry kitty09 about the long post. I didn't mind it at all. It was very informative and helpful, and lademoiselle, I don't mind you "hijacking the thread". It's completely fine. We all have luggage trouble and may want to share it at times.
              Anyway, thank you all for the advice. If you think of anything else I should know don't hesitate to post!
              sigpic

Comment

I am with you, I need a new suitcase too. I have a wonderful suitcase that is perfect for carry-on but unfortunately has been through one too many travels. I'm thinking of getting a hard case just because I really like the look, feel, and design.

If your city has a large are decent sized Chinatown you can often find luggage for very inexpensive. I know it is not the best quality, but it can hold you over until you can find something better. I wish luggage wasn't so expensive. Also, woot dot com has a home section. They usually have very good sales on luggage.

Comment

I was thinking about getting a hard case too, but I'm worried it will crack or all of my items won't fit since the hard case doesn't expand well. I have found a few hybrids that I was going to look into and see how well those might work. Otherwise, I may be leaning toward a soft one.

I don't have anything like that around me. There is an outlet store nearby that I am thinking about checking out to see if they may have good suitcases for a cheaper price.
                  sigpic

Comment

I have a four wheeled hard case (but with a fabric extension on a zip in the middle) and I love it.
                    This is the one I have. It has a clear enough pattern to make it easy to spot, but it's boring enough for my boyfriend not to be embarrassed when he's using it

I made a thread about luggage some time ago:
                    https://members.lovingfromadistance....ases-Bags-etc)

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Thank you for the link!

So is it hard to fit everything you need into the hard shell with the expandable area? That's mainly what I'm worried about. I'm worried I'll buy it and all of my stuff won't fit since the hard shell doesn't expand as much as the soft shells.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by vanillatwilight09 View Post
                        Thank you for the link!

So is it hard to fit everything you need into the hard shell with the expandable area? That's mainly what I'm worried about. I'm worried I'll buy it and all of my stuff won't fit since the hard shell doesn't expand as much as the soft shells.
                        No, I was able to fit everything, and the expandable area works pretty well. The real problem isn't how much you can fit though, it's the weight limits on the planes (50 pounds, 23 kilos). I always exceed the weight limit long before my suitcase is stuffed! Don't worry about what fits the absolute most stuff in, if you're flying, because it'll be more than you're allowed anyway, unless you pay the very steep overage charge Get a good luggage scale! If you're not traveling by air though, ignore this post
                        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I do travel by air, and that's another thing I'm worried about. I'm not quite sure how large of a suitcase to buy. I was thinking about a 28" or 29", but I'm afraid it will be too big. I'm not really worried what fits the most, just that what I normally take won't fit in a hard shell. However, I usually end up right around the weight limit, give or take a few, and the suitcase I have now is a soft shell. This makes me think I should stick with a soft shell since hard shells may be heavier.
                          sigpic

Comment

Travelpro are what most flight attendants and pilots use. I like Tumi bags but the are expensive.

Comment

I have TravelPro, it has lasted about five years and I don't even want to know how many miles. Highly recommend them!

Comment

Working...
                              X