Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some advice!!

Hey guys,

I'm new to the whole long distance thing, we've been together a while now but it's only recently that we've had too spend time apart as my other half has got a sailing job which means he spends a lot of time on the sea!
    I'm not really sure on what I can do, I want too keep the relationship as strong as it usually is but as I can't contact him a lot (for obvious reasons) and i'm starting to feel extremely lonely and depressed.

Just need some advice on how too still communicate with him in some way I guess and also how too get out of these long distance blues! Maybe even something to pick me up a little?

Would be much appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Shannen

can you mail him? or skype with him?

Comment

Try writing him! Even if you feel like you have to send a letter a day. If you cant mail them, keep them! My SO and I also keep a blog together, which really helps. Whatever we're feeling whenever, we write in it, and it's so nice to check it every once in a while and have a post from him, even if it's upsetting cause we miss each other. Writing is a wonderful, helpful tool.

Comment

You know, shall I tell you a story? It's the story of my mother and father.
        My father is an international truck driver in Europe. This means that he would be gone from home for weeks sometimes. He really loved his job and my mother respected that. It was especially hard when they just got married and such... shouldn't that be the time that you want to spend time together? Back then, cellphones and internet weren't as popular/existent as they are now, so as in your story, contact was very difficult.
        They survived and are still together, even if it made my mother very lonely. Her way of overcoming these feelings was to keep herself really occupied. She worked hard, spent a lot of time with her friends and siblings and also spent a lot of time on hobbies!
        I think that when you aren't able to be together as much as you want to, not being able to talk to each other so much and you still remain together, it'll make you appreciate the other person more. Makes the heart grow fonder, perhaps.
        As mentioned above, you could try sending letters, e-mails. Maybe send messages on facebook or other social media devices. You could also blog, or write a diary for him. Even though he might not be able to see it right away, he'll still be aware of what you have been doing, how you felt. It's a cute way to keep in touch
        You used to be much more..."muchier." You've lost your muchness

Comment

you can tame seagulls in order to send him mails

as far as i know even sailors can get acess to Internet.or how about he sends you cards from every place he visits? and to keep relationship strong,just try leaving him any messages,either texts,mails or in skyupe so he can read them when he has time and opportunity.it will let him know u think n care about him

Comment

Where do you do the blog?
            ”I vow to fiercely love you in all your forms, now and forever. I promise to never forget that this is a once in a lifetime love. I vow to love you, and no matter what challenges might carry us apart, we will always find a way back to each other.”
            The Vow

Comment

hi Shannen, previous posters have already provided great advice and ideas. i'll just repeat the obvious; pick up a new hobby, something you've always wanted to do so you'll be motivated and passionate about it and spend time with family and friends. and communication wise, try everything you possibly can to keep things going and alive.

how long is his contract for? and how often does he come back home? *gives you a big hug*

Comment

He doesn't get the internet on the ship he's on

Comment

I've started a blog for him and he's told me he'd send me a postcard from every place they stop at, unfortunately the one he's on at the moment, probably not for half a year minimum thanks everyone, now too try find some hobbies!
                  Last edited by Shannen; January 20, 2013, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shannen View Post
                    I've started a blog for him and he's told me he'd send me a postcard from every place they stop at, unfortunately the one he's on at the moment, probably not for half a year minimum thanks everyone, now too try find some hobbies!
                    aww, best of luck to both of you. oh and the other crucial thing; i've found that spending time on LFAD really helps me cope with the whole LDR thing. it's just best place for advice and support during the LD.

Comment

Working...
                    X