Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should a long distance proposing be considered official ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should a long distance proposing be considered official ?

How does it sound if your SO (man or even woman) proposes you over the internet or phone call ?
    At certain points it may not be as special as proposing in person but Will you consider it as official ?

Yes, I will if there's a ring that he'll send but if not, uhm, I might ask him to just redo it in person. (I'm that persuasive haha!)

But that's just my opinion. IF he proposes to me on Skype while kneeling and shows me a ring then I think that's official!

Comment

I don't think it matters how you're proposed to, if you say "yes" then it's official :P.

Comment

I'd find it a bit weird, to be honest. I think I'd feel cheated somehow if I wasn't proposed to in person. But, to each their own, and if the medium doesn't make a difference to the couple in question then why not

Comment

If he meant it as a serious proposal and you accepted seriously, then yes, it's official if you want it to be. If you WANT him to do it in person, though, I might wait til that happens to start telling people about it, etc.

Comment

I asked him on a spur of the moment feeling and he said yes but we hadnt even met at that point, A month after our first visit he proposed on our anniversary and we made it official then by telling family and friends..... both were done over the phone.

I don't see why how the proposal happens should make it official or not. If you take it seriously then it's official and you should always take marriage seriously.
            As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

Is considering it official meaning announcing to family and friends? Am probably of the traditional mindset and one who needs lots of convincing, but for me I would wait until he proposes in person to announce to the family.

Apart from that little thing, if you say yes and your heart truly accepts it, it's official!!

Comment

My SO asked me several times... and made it clear he wants to marry me. I can't take that seriously though because 1) we never met 2) i think some effort should be put into it. It's a life-long commitment, and as far as I am concerned, it shouldn't be a spur of the moment thing you ask over skype in your pajamas or something. I don't necessarily want a ring.. but I want to see he put thought and effort into it, even if it's a monologue or something like that.

Comment

My SO asked me several times too, but I'm not really taking it seriously even if he is really serious everytime he asks it. It's up to you on how you can take it. But if you've never met, maybe you should see each other in person first. That's just my opinion.

Comment

my bf asked me few times but more as a confirmation for the future plan.i am old-fashioned and want some romance with ring and romantic atmosphere

Comment

We have spoken about it, for us to close distance and be together it ultimately would be through marriage, so of course we thought of it, we've said we want to marry, but we both agree we want to marry only the one time in our lives and need to be 100% sure, we already are but time will just verify that, by the time we get married (roughly planned June/July 2014) we would have been together in person over a year and been together for 2.5 years, so I'm more than happy then! (she would have been here in the UK with me for approx 1 year in total before this).

Anyway, proposal, yea I'm old fashioned, I want to do it right, I want to do it in person, on one knee, in front of a restaurant full of people or street full of people, I don't care, I know the answer and I want it to be one of those moments we both remember for a long time

"Buddha made you for me" - My SO

1st Met/Visit: Nov 2012 - Thailand
                      2nd Visit: May 2013 - Thailand
                      3rd Visit: Jun 2013 - Thailand
                      4th Visit: Sep 2013 - Thailand
                      5th Visit: Sep 2013 - Jan 2014 - UK
                      6th Visit: Apr 2014 - Thailand - Marry
                      7th Visit: Sept 14th 2014 - Thailand - Wedding Ceremony / Party
                      Close the distance - Sept 21st 2014 - UK
                      UK Wedding Party: November 8th 2014

Comment

My SO and I ask each other all the time; we both know we meant it and want it but the official proposal will be in person. We're just dorks and call each other wife all the time. I guess it all depends how you feel about it. I can't see why an LD proposal can't be real.

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
                        Married April 18th, 2015!!
                        Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

I will take it official either way, over long distance or in person as long as he is serious about it.
                          A bit too soon for us to think about it but I feel so excited when we discuss about our wedding and marrige life...

Comment

Originally posted by Mims27 View Post
                            We're just dorks and call each other wife all the time.
                            Same here! We always refer to each other as "mia" (Wife in Thai) and "Puar" (Husband in Thai), it's pretty sweet and feels good.

Originally posted by Thanh View Post
                            I will take it official either way, over long distance or in person as long as he is serious about it.
                            A bit too soon for us to think about it but I feel so excited when we discuss about our wedding and marrige life...

Sounds about right! It will happen so just take it a step at a time I feel the same when we talk about it lol

"Buddha made you for me" - My SO

1st Met/Visit: Nov 2012 - Thailand
                            2nd Visit: May 2013 - Thailand
                            3rd Visit: Jun 2013 - Thailand
                            4th Visit: Sep 2013 - Thailand
                            5th Visit: Sep 2013 - Jan 2014 - UK
                            6th Visit: Apr 2014 - Thailand - Marry
                            7th Visit: Sept 14th 2014 - Thailand - Wedding Ceremony / Party
                            Close the distance - Sept 21st 2014 - UK
                            UK Wedding Party: November 8th 2014

Comment

Originally posted by lademoiselle View Post
                              I'd find it a bit weird, to be honest. I think I'd feel cheated somehow if I wasn't proposed to in person. But, to each their own, and if the medium doesn't make a difference to the couple in question then why not
                              What she said

Originally posted by summerkid View Post
                              My SO asked me several times... and made it clear he wants to marry me. I can't take that seriously though because 1) we never met 2) i think some effort should be put into it. It's a life-long commitment, and as far as I am concerned, it shouldn't be a spur of the moment thing you ask over skype in your pajamas or something. I don't necessarily want a ring.. but I want to see he put thought and effort into it, even if it's a monologue or something like that.
                              I was in my pajamas when Obi asked me

But he'd gotten my family's permission/blessing, there was a ring and it was in person. I couldn't take it seriously if it wasn't in person. A special moment like that and you can't hug afterwards? Hell no!
                              Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Working...
                              X