Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm taller than he is? (Intro post)

Good day everyone,

I am 18 years old and the man that I have unwillingly fallen in love with is 28. Weird, huh? I am in the middle of Canada whereas he is in the middle of the US. I met him May of 2012 and have been talking to him nearly every day. He didn't find out how old I was until well in to our relationship, since I didn't want him to be "turned off" by my age. Once I told him, he was completely understanding and didn't think anything of it. It's only 9 years of difference.

I am 5'11 and he is 5'9. I am scared to meet him (which is a whole other story for a whole other post sometime in the future). Has anyone ever met a guy that was shorter than them? I am not scared to meet him, I am just scared that he's going to be like "this girl is a freaking giant."

I love art, music, blogging and gaming. Fun stuff, yeah. Feel free to talk to me regardless of your age.

If your biggest problem is that he's 2 inches shorter than you, then I think you're doing alright there.
    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm just really worried because if I ever do meet him, he's like an Alpha-Male and I am like the typical submissivey-housewifey type of person... I don't it really is only one of the main things I'm concerned about haha.

Comment

Height really shouldn't matter. If your personalities mesh as you think they do and there's chemistry, everything else is obsolete. I've dated more than a couple guys that were shorter than me (and I'm only 5'8"). It was never a problem for them (or me). They were comfortable in themselves. If he is insecure about his height, it might matter to him, but that's something he'll have to learn to deal with.
        Met online: Nov 2010 - Met in person: Nov 20, 2010
        Closed the distance: April 27, 2011
        Accepted to PhD program 200 miles away: March 2012
        LD again: July 24, 2012
        Left School and Closed the Distance for good: March 8, 2013
        Married: November 1, 2014
        Started job 200 miles away: February 23, 2015

Comment

I agree with Moon. If 2 inches of height is your biggest worry, you two will be fine

I have met girls who are taller than me. (I'm 6'2ish as well). It's really not a worry.

Comment

Oh, don't even worry about it I remember when I started talking to my SO online; it wasn't long before the question of height came up. Well, when I found out he wasn't much taller than me (there's maybe an inch between us) I wasted the next few months until we met offline fretting myself sick - mainly because I thought he'd feel insecure about it. I think at first he kind of did, because the second time we saw each other we were standing on a hill one evening and he joked "hey, you're almost as tall as me... that's not good!" I asked him if I should cut off my legs then, and he laughed and told me not to dare because he loved my long legs.

Fast forward a couple of years and it isn't a problem at all. That the male should be considerably taller than his female partner is nothing more than a social norm. You get used to each other physically, and one day you'll see for yourselves what external observers have realised long ago: you look beautiful together exactly as you are!

Comment

Oh so glad someone else is worried about height....I am taller than my SO and also bigger than him and my fear isn't that I will be uncomfortable but that he will be and of course the fear of rejection, he keeps telling me I am an idiot to be even thinking that way but years of insecurities are hard to shake off, but in saying all that he makes me feel more beautiful and desirable than I have ever felt before.
              ​Yesterday, today, tomorrow and forever

Comment

My boyfriend is about two inches shorter than I am and it doesn't phase me at all. I'm 5'4 and he's about 5'2. I'm also a plus size woman and while he's chunky i'm still bigger :P He loves my body though and I love his. It shouldn't matter that he's shorter and honestly if that's the -only- issue you're doing alright! Don't let societies stigma of "The man has to be taller" get to you.
                Made it official: 12-01-10
                First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
                Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

I'm 6'1 therefore most of the guys I have dated in my life were shorter than me. My current SO is the exact same height, but in the past I've dated men as short as 5'7 or so. Height doesn't mean anything.

Comment

I'm 5'9 so I'm not super tall, but I'm tall enough for plenty of guys to be shorter or as tall as me. It never bothered me to be taller. What bothered me was when it bothered the guy.

I dated this one guy who was the exact same height as I was. I always wore flats, but one day I wanted to feel pretty and put on heels. The entire night he commented on how I was taller than him. And not in a good way.

I dated another guy who was way shorter than me, heels or no heels. And he loved it! He would always call me his sexy amazon woman. It was refreshing that he didn't care I was taller.

Finally, my current SO is only a little bit taller than me. When I wear heels I'm taller than him. And he loves it too!

Basically, you need a guy to feel comfortable with his height and your height. And then there will be no problem!

Comment

I'm 5'2" so I run into guys my height or shorter pretty infrequently. My SO is a foot taller than me. I've always wanted to feel tall and gorgeous- embrace it, girl! Besides, it's not a huge height difference; I have a cousin (female) who is 6 foot and she married a guy not much taller than me, in heels! But even their height difference looks just fine and they're both comfortable with it. You'll be fine!
                      ~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Bluejay Belle View Post
                        I'm 5'2" so I run into guys my height or shorter pretty infrequently. My SO is a foot taller than me. I've always wanted to feel tall and gorgeous- embrace it, girl!

This is pretty much what I was going to say. If you're tall embrace it. I would love so much to be even a few inches taller. I'm only 5'0". I do understand your worry though. My SO is 6'2" and he was a little concerned about our height difference before we met but, after meeting everything was fine. I think if I was taller and I was with someone who was a little shorter than me I would be concerned about their reaction upon first meeting each other. Two inches honestly isn't even much and I'm sure you two will barely even be able to tell the difference.

Met Online: 02/2012
                        Started talking privately: 09/20/2012
                        First Met in person: 09/22/2012
                        Started Dating: 10/30/2012
                        Closed the Distance 4/24/2013

Comment

I really appreciate everyones imput in this thread. He does have insecurities about being the alpha male and not being good enough and I do flaunt my height. Just am scared when/if we ever meet that he is going to be like hot damn amazon woman and be scared away haha.

Comment

Agreed with the two inches worry thing!

I've always liked taller guys, and was convinced I'd end up with a guy at least 6'0" or taller, because I wanted to be able to wear heels. I'm 5'8"ish, so, when I met my SO (who's one inch taller than me, maybe a little more), I thought he'd be insecure about how I was almost as tall as him. Turns out, he thinks it's one of the sexiest things about me--he's always telling me how he loves how tall I am (I think he always describes me as "tall and beautiful" ), and it makes me feel like a beautiful swan. I remember one particular night, right after we first met, I went out with him wearing my "fuck me" boots (long black leather boots haha), and we took a picture where it looked like I was a smidge taller. I remember tentatively saying, "Does it bother you that I look a little taller?" and he was all, "You look hot as fuck and I look like a bagged a model."

Case closed.
                            "I love thee to the depth, and breadth, and height my soul can reach..." ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Comment

My SO is about a foot shorter than I am(I'm a male) and to her it's really attractive but her previous boyfriend was only about 1 inch taller and she said even though she felt uncomfortable and unsafe that he was so tiny(he was 5'3 not even 90lbs) that it was never a reason for her not to love him.
                              In confidence, I have always liked tall girls but since I met her, I kinda like short girls because they made me feel like a real male. If your guy doesn't have confidence or self esteem problems, I don't see a problem honestly.

Comment

Working...
                              X