No announcement yet.

What gift did you take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I gave him a box full of gifts and letters I had collected over the year for him. We also exchanged diaries. We agreed to keep diaries at the start of our relationship with the intention of exchanging them when we meet.

It's a shame things didn't work out.

Comment

Originally posted by Malaga View Post
      I always bring something. It's not just because we're in a relationship. My parents taught me you should always bring a gift when you're visiting - especially if you're staying at their house.
      I usually bring sweets from here that I know he likes, or some delicious homemade olive oil. Some spices too... It's usually household items like that.
      I was brought up the same way, so if I were to visit him, especially since he's now living with his parents. I would take something for them as well as him.
      Joey & Scott
      Met: April 2002
      Lost Contact: August 2002
      Reconnected: April 2010
      Together: May 20th 2010

[COLOR="#800080"]"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

We rarely do gifts. It usually takes a lot financially for us to see each other already, and we consider that enough. I do tend to bring home a lot of Tim Horton's coffee after I visit though, and I'm sure that will become a staple for him to bring to me on his future visits. For my upcoming visit I had planned on taking a set of books for his brother's girlfriend as she had expressed interest in them the last time I was there but they broke up early last week so there went that idea. I guess I had good intentions at least.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoThree View Post
          ^ Same here. I always bring things when we visit his parents because that's how I was raised, even though they protest and say that I don't need to bring them anything anymore. And last time I visited I also brought them homemade olive oil
          This! I was brought up that way too, I always bring something when visiting someone's home, even when it's "just" Raine's
          Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I am in search of a gift...it's the first time, it's his birthday.. he likes books and that's it. but that means everybody buys him books, so I refuse to do that. I was thinking a hairbrush cause he has impossibly crazy hair and I always make fun of him because of it...but it doesn't seem like enough for a gift for this occassion. more like something alongside a gift as a little joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
              I took some Creaming Soda, Tim Tams and other lollies for my GF and her family that she lives with.

THEY LOVED IT.
              In true Aussie style I also gave him Tim Tams

My SO was the one to fly for the first meet but I did get a map 'outline' of Australia key chain; its some kind of (silver coloured) metal and has a koala on the front, on the back I had it engraved with the date he landed in Australia. The key chain + engraving cost less than $25 and I really love that its a token from that first day/trip - It's now the only key chain he has on his keys.

I wrapped Tim Tams and the key chain up together and had it with me when I picked him up from the airport, he opened it when we got back to the car

Side note - it is so nice to think back to that time of getting excited for his very first visit, I really am glad that I put the forethought into getting the key chain engraved, you can only ever have one 'first meet' and we/he has a token from it forever
              Met Online: February 2009
              Feelings grew: January 2011
              First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
              Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
              Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
              Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
              Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
              Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
              Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
              Engaged: 1st of July 2012
              Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
              Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
              Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
              Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
              Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
              Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
                He didn't need a gift he had me. And I come with very good blow jobs...
                Besides, the plane ticket + visa + travel insurance was the biggest expense I'd ever paid in my life at that point. It didn't cross my mind to bring a gift too.
                Same here! I might bring his aunt and uncle something though as a thank you since they're the ones who will probably be picking me up from the airport.
                Made it official: 12-01-10
                First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
                Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

When he first visited I had got him a disney pin, because he collects them and I found one of his fav disney movie. He brought me giant flags! lol they work as curtains! One is of his flag and ones the royal one. which is neat because it's from there and apart of his culture. And then he brought me a gift for my b-day. But I don't think you need to bring a gift, you have plenty of excitement of just finally meeting! So don't sweat it, anything you bring will be special!
                  I love you Nathan <3
                  sigpic
                  5/25/09 <3

Comment

Way back, many years ago, when I went to visit him for the first time, it was Christmas time so I brought him the original Star Wars Trilogy gift set - VHS tapes. Now you all know I'm very old

It's awesome to see that he still has the set to this very day, proudly displayed with the rest of his DVD's and video games.

Comment

Hmm...I never really thought about giving him a gift. See hopefully he will be meeting me soon in the future and I am soo excited. guess I need to come up with something to give him to remember me by when that day comes.

Comment

I brought him and his family some austrian chocolate. They loved it

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                        First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                        Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                        Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                        Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                        Married: 1/24/2015
                        Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

I should update with what I did take..... I got him a t-shirt with my home town on as he was complaining he needed new ones, a key ring with a union jack in the shape of a heart on, a book written in Yorkshire dialect as he's always laughing at my accent and I also gave him a very special scarf that my grandpa gave to me.

I'm glad I put the effort in as he gave me some amazing gifts: a book about his town that was his Dad's (his Dad died so I know how special this is), one of his t-shirts, a good luck coin that is part of a pair and a photo of him and his brothers.

Comment

also writing this down has made me realise how freakishly similar our thoughts must have been to give such similar gifts without discussing it at all!

Comment

I flew to him the first time, and I flew in a week before his birthday. I struggled with what to bring, but due to it being so close to his birthday, I didn't want to show up empty handed. I ended up making him a book out of the pictures from his Facebook. I went through Picaboo. He absolutely loved it, and I was happy that it was something unique to him. He didn't bring me anything, and that was okay. The excitement of finally being able to see, feel, touch and smell him was gift enough.

Comment

He came and visited me the first time and brought me Smarties and crispers which we don't have here. They were delicious! lol When I went to visit him I brought him a tshirt and a bunch of goodies they didn't have there! (:
                                "I love the stars and the moon because I know that I'm always sitting under the exact same ones as you"

Comment

Working...
                                X