Hypothetical - Proposing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hypothetical - Proposing!

So, you and your SO have decided that you're going to get married. Or at least there has been some discussion prior to the proposal so that you both know you're on the same page relationship wise. How would you like it to happen? Would you prefer that they overnight the ring and then ask you on Skype? Or a surprise visit where they get down on one knee? Asking over the phone? Sending a telegram? Them sending the ring to a friend, and then phoning that friend when they're ready and asking them to act as their proxy?

Bascially, how would you like to be proposed to? Would you prefer they spend the money to come and see you to propose? Or would you be okay with a proposal to propose (basically them saying it over the phone, with the aim for a grand gesture the next time you're together)? Would you accept a long distance proposal if it meant a shorter engagement and a way to close the distance sooner? (Again, you are both ready for marriage at this point)

What would you accept? Would you prefer to be proposed to, or be the one proposing? Do you need the ring for it to feel real and official?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I got to thinking today and wondered about other people's thoughts on it.

Thanks!
    Joey & Scott
    Met: April 2002
    Lost Contact: August 2002
    Reconnected: April 2010
    Together: May 20th 2010

[COLOR="#800080"]"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." Benjamin Franklin

I would only accept an in person proposal.

Comment

Just as Snow_Girl said, i'd only accept an in person proposal. We've already agreed that we want to get married but he wants to be the one to get on one knee and give me a ring properly. As he said "Its not a matter of if i'm going to, its a matter of when I can buy you a ring."
      Made it official: 12-01-10
      First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
      Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

Definitely agree that I'd only ever accept an in person proposal.

Before my SO proposed to me I knew he had the ring, I was about to go over for a visit to him and it kind of was an unspoken thing that he was going to propose at some point during my visit, I was there for 5 weeks so I had no idea when/where he was going to ask, and of course there was that little side of me that told me not to expect it, and that he COULD wait until the next visit..

he did end up proposing during the trip, and even though I had a very strong feeling it was coming - we went to a very nice park that is meaningful to us and had a picnic lunch - I still cried and felt nervous and nothing like someone who was expecting a proposal SHOULD react.

So long story short, definitely in person for the proposal and it doesn't always need to be a surprise, I personally liked knowing he had the ring and getting excited about him proposing - was kind of like waiting for Christmas
        Met Online: February 2009
        Feelings grew: January 2011
        First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
        Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
        Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
        Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
        Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
        Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
        Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
        Engaged: 1st of July 2012
        Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
        Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
        Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
        Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
        Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
        Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

Well i have a few ways i would like it to be done really! My first one being ..

Ok i work in the most famous hotel in the world ... *drum roll please* The Ritz Hotel London! ive been here for 14 months and over time ive seen some magical moments where the guys have gotten down on the knee and proposed! and its been absolutely beautiful! I never thought i would want a propose in public because im quite a shy person (KIND OF) haha. However! If justin had arranged it correctly, meaning speaking to my managers to make sure i was in the right place at the right time etc!. I would love for him to suprise visit me at work, and propose to me in his uniform down our beautiful Long gallery! what with all my work friends being there and them knowing how crazy i am about him! i think it would be amazing for that to happen that way ..

Secondly i would love for him to propose to me with him company! ive seen it on youtube and i think its the most sweetest way to propose! Getting your whoel company involved! then you know how much you mean to him because they all know about you (and yes all of justins company know about me) haha!

Id be pretty happy with both to be fair! .. And wait for it. I am over there in June for my visit. Justins told me his sargeant wants me to meet justins company and the army wives and girlfriend .. EEEPPPPPP who knows

Comment

My boyfriend is thinking about proposing to me already.
            I know he is a creative guy so I know it will be great!
            However I would not want it to be over the phone/skype/texts, as most said before: I want it to be in person

How?.. well he has to go down on one knee :P

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
            First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
            Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
            Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
            Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
            Married: 1/24/2015
            Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

In person with a ring.

Comment

I am with some of the previous posters. I would only take an in person proposal. I am also sure my SO would never propose over Skype, letter, etc. Gott sei Dank!

Comment

I'm pretty sure my proposal is not going to be as romantic as I'd like! Id hate a public show but id like more than a matter of fact conversation! but yep for me it has to be in person and I'd say a ring too as I want one and I don't want to pick it myself so I guess that means there's no reason not to have it there at the proposal!

Comment

In person only, anything less I'd not take seriously.
                    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

In person. I don't even need to have the ring or anything over the top, but the question better be asked in person or else it isn't happening.

Comment

I'd like it to be in person, with a ring (a simple and inexpensive one would do just fine!), and in a place with a degree of privacy, preferably outdoors... a quiet section of the beach, or on a windy hillside

Comment

In person. Not to fussed if was a ring or not because I don't wear them, but some form of token Preferably somewhere that was a special place for both of us... I think I'd HATE a huge public proposal though. Too much pressure on everyone involved.
                          Si tu n'etais pas la
                          Comment pourrais-je vivre
                          Je ne connaitrais pas
                          Ce bonheur qui m'enivre
                          Quand je suis dans tes bras
                          Mon coeur joyeux se livre
                          Comment pourrais-je vivre
                          Si tu n'etais pas la

Love that will not betray you, dismay or enslave you. It will set you free.
                          Home could be anywhere when I am holding you

"DONT RUIN MY DREAM OF MINITURE HIPPOS"

Comment

Definitely in person, and in private. A ring would be nice as a token, but I personally wouldn't make a huge deal out of it. In fact, if there were a ring, I'd prefer for it not to be very expensive because I'd be constantly afraid of losing or damaging it. And I mean, if you have to save up money for months to buy a ring (or spend a large chunk of the savings you already have) it would be WAY too expensive in my opinion.

From what I've learned from t.v. there are a lot of women apparently who require an expensive ring with a huge diamond and won't settle for anything less. So don't go by my opinion alone

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyBug View Post
                              So, you and your SO have decided that you're going to get married. Or at least there has been some discussion prior to the proposal so that you both know you're on the same page relationship wise. How would you like it to happen? Would you prefer that they overnight the ring and then ask you on Skype? Or a surprise visit where they get down on one knee? Asking over the phone? Sending a telegram? Them sending the ring to a friend, and then phoning that friend when they're ready and asking them to act as their proxy?

Bascially, how would you like to be proposed to? Would you prefer they spend the money to come and see you to propose? Or would you be okay with a proposal to propose (basically them saying it over the phone, with the aim for a grand gesture the next time you're together)? Would you accept a long distance proposal if it meant a shorter engagement and a way to close the distance sooner? (Again, you are both ready for marriage at this point)

What would you accept? Would you prefer to be proposed to, or be the one proposing? Do you need the ring for it to feel real and official?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I got to thinking today and wondered about other people's thoughts on it.

Thanks!
                              This is why I love this site....seems like the same questions run through all our heads. My SO asked me to marry him over the phone, then he asked again when we met. I said yes to both but yet no ring. So I don't know if I am officially engaged or what!! All I do know is he is man I want to marry. So the answer is yes no matter how he asks. But let this be said it is not how I pictured my proposal to be. We all thought of that special moment as he gets on his knees and there is this romantic setting and all the wonderful unforgettable things. But the reality is not all of us are in a "normal" relationship like the world sees a relationship to be. We are all in LDRs and it is hard to have, keep and maintain. In my opinion sometimes things have to be compromised, the proposal just might have to be one of those things depending on the situation. I would love to be asked with a ring and say yes it is official and we are getting married. LDM (long distance marriages) are not out of this world, they are heard of and done quit as often as LDRs. I don't think a long distance proposal should be ruled out either. It just depends on the relationship and how it is working for that couple. Proposing marriage is a big step so in my opinion either way it is asked it should be considered official.

Comment

Working...
                              X