Hypothetical - Proposing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dizzyupthemeg View Post
    In person. I don't even need to have the ring or anything over the top, but the question better be asked in person or else it isn't happening.
    Yeah this will be our second marriage so I don't need anything crazy. I want him to ask me in person even though we have talked about it a lot...I still want him to actually ask.

Comment

In person with a ring and preferably not in front of people. I could never take a proposal seriously if it was done over the phone or over skype.

Met Online: 02/2012
      Started talking privately: 09/20/2012
      First Met in person: 09/22/2012
      Started Dating: 10/30/2012
      Closed the Distance 4/24/2013

Comment

I would also only accept a proposal in person. I wouldn't have needed a ring, I didn't think I'd get used to it so quickly. We had talked about getting married, sought our parents' permission, and had gone ahead with the beginnings of wedding planning (in which country, budget, etc) before the actual proposal. He had the ring for a long time and was just waiting for the ring for a few months, so the wait (for me) was hard. I had specific requests that the proposal was not extravagant and not have an audience.

Comment

Definitely only in person. I want a ring, but I'm also very non-picky about that. I've already told him I don't want him to waste a ton of money on a ring. I just want something small as my token

Comment

In person. I wouldn't take it seriously if it was online and I'm also going to want to kiss his face off, instead of longing for it over skype.. Definitely in private and I don't care if there's a ring. I know he feels pressure to spend a ton of money on some rock, but all I'd want is to hear the words.

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

Like everyone else said, only in person and with a ring. I've also told him that he better have hired a secret photographer to capture the whole moment. I know there's a few people on here that have been proposed to over the phone/skype/etc but that's definitely not what I want- even if it meant closing the distance earlier.

Comment

My SO proposed in exactly the perfect way for me!

He was scheduled to come see me for Spring Break. During the Spring Break he planned a surprise trip to Disney - the first time I've ever been there. He took me out to a 5 star restaurant and then proposed in front of Cinderella's Castle during the Wishes fireworks. We stayed at Disney for two days and it was so romantic.

I always wanted a public proposal and the big romantic gesture was perfect

I would not have taken a Skype or phone proposal seriously.

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
                Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
                Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
                Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
                Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

I will love the proposal moment in a creative way. Yep, must be in person. Wouldn't take any serious if it's only by Skype, or anything without him is there for real!
                  Jon Lawrence: I love you because you are succesful, intelligent, have a great nerdy personality.
                  Jon Lawrence: Love me for all my faults
                  Jon Lawrence: You have a good head on your head.
                  Jon Lawrence: and you are FUCKING AMAZING LOOKING!

sigpic

Comment

LOL, I was just talking to my SO about this today, because I posted to another thread about romantic proposals.

He told me that his favorite romantic proposal is the ring in the champagne glass. I told him he would have to propose to someone else to do that because I don't drink the stuff. So he said he didn't want to propose to anyone else, so he would find another romantic way of doing it that would suit me. I told him, whatever he comes up with is fine. I know that it will be done in person, and that's exactly how I would want it.

Comment

I know he'll likely do it in person with a ring, the traditional way. I also am very non picky about my ring but I would very much like a ring as a token! Though he doesn't want to get a super cheap ring but as long as it doesn't make him broke. He's asked me and we have both agreed to marrying each other but I can't take over the internet or phone proposals seriously. Unless we actually were going to start official wedding planning, and if he sent me a ring through the mail, I wouldn't object! Because I want to marry him no matter the way he officially proposes just as long as I know it's official!

Comment

When I got married the first time around, I never got a proposal. It was my own fault, I was like 'hey let's get married!' and he said OK so we planned it. I always regretted it. I told my SO if he ever proposes I want the real deal-ring, down on one knee, etc... Also, we've had so many firsts long distance. Our first I love you was a text for god's sake. lol. We need the rest of our moments to be in person. So even if we were still in a LDR, I wouldn't want a long distance proposal.

Met online: 1/30/11
                        Met in person: 5/30/12
                        Second visit: 9/12/12
                        Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

I'm with the majority of the people who have replied to this thread. I want to be proposed to in person! It makes it that much more meaningful and for us, a lot of thought would have to have been put in. We can't just pop by and see each other whenever. I would be fine if he proposed without a ring and we went to look at them together. I definitely want to be surprised and have no idea that the proposal is coming! and if he knows the type of ring I'd like and has one when he proposes, even better we're 2 years out or so from a proposal but it's nice to think about!
                          Our love story:
                          Attended the same high school 2004-2007
                          Dated CD: June 2009-July 2010
                          Reconnected: August 2012
                          Began dating LD: November 2012
                          Engaged! March 2014
                          Closing the distance: December 2015

Comment

I guess I should answer my own question!

I would be okay with a distance proposal of some kind. There would need to be some thought put into it, and I would also be okay with a "proposal to propose" basically us agreeing that we will get married, but not doing the "proper" proposal until we're able to see each other.

In an ideal world, he'd surprise me and propose. I like the idea of opening my front door to find him on one knee, but I don't particularly want a massive public display. I'm okay without the ring, like others have said, if we chose one together rather than just having one for the sake of it. I'm not too fussed what the ring looks like either. I'd much prefer he spend the money to get us CD than to buy a massive engagement ring, though, I would love to have one that had some family history to either of us. Like his mother's engagement ring or something. But that's not a definite need before I would accept.

I think I'm in the minority where I would accept a long distance proposal. I don't think that the proposal is the big thing, it's marriage to me personally that means more. That's a personal feeling and I am not saying that those who wouldn't accept a long distance proposal don't value the marriage!

Thanks everyone who has answered, it's been very interesting to read your responses!
                            Joey & Scott
                            Met: April 2002
                            Lost Contact: August 2002
                            Reconnected: April 2010
                            Together: May 20th 2010

[COLOR="#800080"]"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I don't care for proposals. Never got one. We just decided we'd have to get married to live together, I can't even remember how or when, but it was probably either on the phone or during an on-line conversation. Actually I'm not even sure it "happened." It was just something... obvious. We picked the rings together, too, because we wanted something tangible to show for it. Don't think that's something I'll regret not having.
                              I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

Personally, I really wouldn't care how it was done as long as it had some thought in it. There are just some circumstances where you can't have it any other way, specially with timing and finances, and often choices that have to be made to get things done as timely as possible before the distance and goals become too much to bare. I guess in a manner a lot of my idea in the wedding field myself has been lost because my father passed away, and with it a lot of tradition that comes with it. But I don't think I've ever really been big with all the stuff around it anyhow.

In person would be fantastic and all, but if he were to do it over skype, great. Long as it had thought into it.

Comment

Working...
                                X