Is your SO also your best friend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is your SO also your best friend?

I realized that my SO turned into the very best friend I could ever have. Then again, he's about the only friend I do have at the moment. I just feels so comfortable and fun when we talk and do stuff together that it feels like we're not just lovers, but best friends as well. I feel like I could be content with just his company and not be worried about getting anymore friends. Anyone else feel the same?

The coincidence here is amazing. Just last night as I was going to be I thought, this boy is very nearly the best friend I have. I'm lucky enough to have a wonderful friend that I've been friends with for 10 years and she takes top spot for now, but as the years go by I could see my SO being the person I turn to for everything. It's an amazing realization to have, isn't it?

Comment

yes! know what you mean!
      he is my best friend, partner and lover

Comment

I think it kind of comes with the territory of being a romantically involved partner. Your best friend is the person you talk to about anything, who you confide in, who you support, who supports you... that's really not all that unlike what is expected of a romantic partner, so I really don't think it's a far stretch to say that nearly everyone's best friend is their partner-- if you felt that someone else were a better friend than your partner, what would that say about your partner?

And of course, that isn't to say that you can't have multiple best friends! I have a particular non-romantic best friend for more than 10 years now, but I would also consider my SO a best friend.
        Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
        Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
        Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Originally posted by kittyo9 View Post
          I think it kind of comes with the territory of being a romantically involved partner. Your best friend is the person you talk to about anything, who you confide in, who you support, who supports you... that's really not all that unlike what is expected of a romantic partner, so I really don't think it's a far stretch to say that nearly everyone's best friend is their partner-- if you felt that someone else were a better friend than your partner, what would that say about your partner?
          For me, this is an awesome first. My previous boyfriends were a lot less supportive and the one I was with longest was very critical. I couldn't talk to him about a lot of important things in my life without being made to feel self conscious about it. Obviously that means that they weren't good relationships, and that was something I wish I had been able to see at the time. Now that I'm with someone I can openly confide it, it's the most amazing feeling in the world, and something worth celebrating!

*CONFETTI*

Comment

Originally posted by Catface View Post
            For me, this is an awesome first. My previous boyfriends were a lot less supportive and the one I was with longest was very critical. I couldn't talk to him about a lot of important things in my life without being made to feel self conscious about it. Obviously that means that they weren't good relationships, and that was something I wish I had been able to see at the time. Now that I'm with someone I can openly confide it, it's the most amazing feeling in the world, and something worth celebrating!

*CONFETTI*
            Our situation is almost exactly the same. And I completely agree.

♥ In 666 Ways I Love You & My Heaven Is Wherever You Are. I'm For You. ♥

We Met: June 9,2010
            Back Together: August 1,2012
            First Visit: September 21,2012 - September 29,2012
            Second Visit: January 13,2013 - February 24,2013
            Engaged: January 17,2013
            Closed The Distance-MS - AZ: June 15th,2013
            Moved To FL Together: November 14,2013
            We Got Married! - July 3,2014
            SO Graduated College - August 7,2015
            Moved to Ky - August 10, 2015

Comment

I have had a very good friend for the past 19 years (now I feel old!) but my SO is also a very good friend who I pretty much go to with everything so I would consider him to be one of my best friends, yes. It's great to have that kind of relationship, I sometimes worry that if we break up I lose a best friend, but that didn't stop us getting together and I pray it doesn't happen
              Joey & Scott
              Met: April 2002
              Lost Contact: August 2002
              Reconnected: April 2010
              Together: May 20th 2010

[COLOR="#800080"]"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Probably. He's the person I'm closest to and I care about the most. We confide in each other and support each other. But it's a very different kind of friendship than the one with my BFF. With her it's more effortless. I can talk about absolutely anything without having to worry about how she takes it, because she's not attached to me in the same way like my SO. With him, while I can talk about anything too, I also have to consider how it reflects on him. It's just emotionally more complicated. When I think 'best friend' I don't think of him first.

With him it's different, he considers me his very best friend. He has a close group of friends but they don't share or confide so much in each other. He basically doesn't have anyone else to talk to aside from me. I wish he did. I think a lot of things would be easier for him and us both if he had a person of trust who could offer him a different perspective on relationship matters, like my BFF and I do for each other.

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

YES!!! He's been my best friend since even before we started dating. I'm closer to him than anyone, and I can talk to him about literally everything. I think that's how it should be. You should want to talk to your SO about everything, even the hard stuff, because they're everything to you. Without him I honestly don't know who I would talk to about a lot of stuff.

sigpic

Comment

Yes
                    He is the first person I tell all the good (and bad) news!
                    I can talk to him even about womens stuff, I'm not saying he understands, but he's there and listens.
                    I remember him saying to me some time last year before we had met and officially started dating that I'm the person he contacts the most.
                    (And he has a close knit family and a couple of close friends)
                    And that I make him happy on a daily basis.

Comment

Yes! Completely agree, he is my best friend, partner, lol everything all in one package. The only one I can be completly open with and share all my joys, worries, fears, happiness. Nothing to hold back, it's a wonderful feeling
                      I love you Nathan <3
                      sigpic
                      5/25/09 <3

Comment

As we went from being aquaintances to friends over best friends to lovers.. I can surely say we are best friends

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                        First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                        Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                        Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                        Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                        Married: 1/24/2015
                        Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Definitely! I can talk to him about anything and feel completely comfortable with him, more than with my other friends.

Comment

Yes

Comment

I know it's corny and cliche but he is my best friend, I can talk to him about anything and he always puts a smile on my face
                              ~Shaunna~

*Distance isn't an obstacle when it comes to love, but rather a great reminder on just how strong true love can be*

We're engaged 2014 - save $$, 2015 - get married, 2016 - make the big move!

Comment

Working...
                              X