Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question

Riddle me this, all you Long Distant Lovers/Former LDL: is it normal to feel the need of reassurance from your partner?

I find I get needy around my period; doubtful, even. I realize this is more my problem than it is his, and to bring him into it IS a tad bit selfish but- it does help ease my mind. Especially when we do feel a bit distant from each other (granted that's probably normal, healthy).

*I apologize for my constant contradictions, here.

When I first started dating my SO I brought it up every few weeks and he was very gracious about it. Now after almost 4 years I only bring it up every 4-5 months. but then again I've always been a very self conscious person.

And I think it's totally normal to feel needy especially around your period. Ya know all your hormones fluctuating and everything.

Notes:
    Met: 8.17.09
    Started Dating: 8.20.09
    First Met: 10.2.10
    Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

We are on again and off again with the LD and CD thing now. It usually hits me about 1-2 weeks after we are apart and I start bugging him about the whole.....you love me forever and no matter what thing. I totally know what you are saying. It does not make sense to my brain but that is how my heart feels.
      "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

in LDR you feel such bunch of weird feelings,it may seem totally abnormal.but turns out thats a natural way to react on LDR so chill,its cool.some time will pass before you can breathe out and relax.take it slowly,just dont do any stupid things like pointless fights

Comment

I used to think the same! For almost 8 months I wasn't sure if this relationship would work and I always needed him to reassure things were okay.. then we met and now I just KNOW things are okay.
          It's normal

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
          First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
          Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
          Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
          Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
          Married: 1/24/2015
          Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

I still get times like that, I don't think it's anything to worry about
            Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Yeah I think it's even more natural in a LDR cos (for me, anyway) a lot of reassurance comes from physical contact like a hug, so when I can't get that, I sometimes get a bit needy. Luckily SO doesn't mind, and sometimes when I've not replied to a text for a while cos I'm busy at work or w/e I get a little mssage from him going "I'm needy reply!" which makes me smile

Comment

Yep, totally needy here. Buuuuut... so is he. Constantly craving reassurance that we are going to be together forever, that we aren't avoiding talking to each other, still love each other... blah, blah, blah.

Comment

I get like this often. It will come in groups of days and then I'll be fine for a pile of days and then WHAM needing reassurance again. As you said, it tends to be just before my period, or when I'm having a stressful week. I'll have doubts as to if we can make the LDR work or why he would pick me to be with. Some days I just really need to be told sweet things over and over because I feel selfish that day. I'm not proud of it, but it does happen.

Comment

It is for me anyway. I still have that nagging doubt that he's going to leave me like my ex and he always reassures me he loves me and would never leave me. It's still a struggle but he always helps.me.

Comment

I need some reassurance every now and again in any relationship, sometimes you just need a little bit of extra love from your SO
                      Met Online: February 2009
                      Feelings grew: January 2011
                      First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
                      Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
                      Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
                      Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
                      Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
                      Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
                      Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
                      Engaged: 1st of July 2012
                      Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
                      Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
                      Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
                      Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
                      Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
                      Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

I have the same feelings at times, so it's totally normal!
                        Joey & Scott
                        Met: April 2002
                        Lost Contact: August 2002
                        Reconnected: April 2010
                        Together: May 20th 2010

[COLOR="#800080"]"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Of course. Every so often my SO and I will have a conversation which goes something like this...

Me: Do you still love me?
                          SO: Do you doubt it?
                          Me: No, but I need to hear you say it.
                          SO: Okay. I still love you.
                          Me:

...and I daresay it will carry on happening for as long as we're together! Don't worry. We're all normal

Comment

dnt worry.. its absolutely normal... even i used get needy at times and i felt very ashamed of myself but then i understood that things will adjust with time... although we cannot meet but there is this feeling that if we hold on to each other while we are apart... things will work out... and there's always this assurance, that when we were together things were awesome.. and they will be like this once we are together... so dont worry and just relax... ull overcome with it very soon....

Comment

I have the sameee feeliings.. Especially during my period or bad days.. I need extra sweetyness from him and i need to hear that we will be ok in the future.. It's normal i think

Comment

Working...
                              X