we had a fight...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we had a fight...

We had a fight last night because I feel like both of us have been slacking off on our relationship and I don't want us to be te like we were in the past. I told him that we are long distance, so pics and Skype and little things are all we have til we see each other again. I need advice, am I making too big a deal of this? I just want him to do his part like he promised.
    sigpic

You shouldn't get mad at him for not doing what he promised if you're not either. Now, if you got mad at yourself for not following through, that's something different. You may not want you to be like you were in the past - but does he feel the same way? Does he know that you feel this way?

I guess I don't see the point in getting angry at your partner - especially when in-person visits are infrequent - on something like "you didn't call me when you said you would" or something like that.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
    Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
    Progress: Working on it.

Comment

I tell my boyfriend the same thing--phone calls, skype dates, and pictures mean everything since that's all we have. If you both want to stay strong, you should both be willing to put forth some effort into the relationship. Just talk to him about it and tell him how you feel and see what he says. Good luck!

Comment

I have been making an effort, I just feel like sometimes he doesnt do the same. And it might be stupid but we are long distance and little things are all we have when we dont see each other much. And he says the reason why is work, but i work too and go to school and i still always make time for him.
        sigpic

Comment

I think he should make more time for you as well and it was dumb to turn It into a huge fight. My boyfriend does not have a job at the moment, but when he did he was working late and long hours but still made time for me even though he was getting around 4 hours of sleep most nights.

I don't think you did anything wrong telling him that you would appreciate more skype time and pictures. Things like that make the distance easier, but you need to not slack off as well. It's both of you that need to work on it,

Comment

Originally posted by jamjam_7 View Post
            I have been making an effort, I just feel like sometimes he doesnt do the same. And it might be stupid but we are long distance and little things are all we have when we dont see each other much. And he says the reason why is work, but i work too and go to school and i still always make time for him.
            There will always be the feeling that "he doesn't do as much as I do". Always, even after you've closed the distance. Why? Because he's a boy. I recall someone posting somewhere (recently? maybe?) there's a 60/40 rule. You each have to put in 60% effort to the relationship. Your 60% is different than his, but your 60% may include "initiating conversation". I know mine does.

From where I see it, I guess you have two options.
            1) Stew about this and make it a way bigger deal than it ever needs to become and keep fighting about it, and run the risk of ruining your relationship (not trying to say you will, but it's a strong possibility if you choose this option)
            2) Once you've talked about it - ONCE - let it go. Move on. And, most importantly: don't bring it up again. I'm guilty of doing this, and yes, it's hard. But letting go of past issues is important for a healthy relationship (LD or CD).

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
            Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
            Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by lyonsgirl View Post
              There will always be the feeling that "he doesn't do as much as I do". Always, even after you've closed the distance. Why? Because he's a boy. I recall someone posting somewhere (recently? maybe?) there's a 60/40 rule. You each have to put in 60% effort to the relationship. Your 60% is different than his, but your 60% may include "initiating conversation". I know mine does.

From where I see it, I guess you have two options.
              1) Stew about this and make it a way bigger deal than it ever needs to become and keep fighting about it, and run the risk of ruining your relationship (not trying to say you will, but it's a strong possibility if you choose this option)
              2) Once you've talked about it - ONCE - let it go. Move on. And, most importantly: don't bring it up again. I'm guilty of doing this, and yes, it's hard. But letting go of past issues is important for a healthy relationship (LD or CD).
              This. I'd also like to point out though that your job and his job are different. He may have a more intensive job then you do and may work different or more hours. That's something to take into account. But really,talk to him about it. There's no reason to make this a big thing to the point it ruins your relationship.

♥ In 666 Ways I Love You & My Heaven Is Wherever You Are. I'm For You. ♥

We Met: June 9,2010
              Back Together: August 1,2012
              First Visit: September 21,2012 - September 29,2012
              Second Visit: January 13,2013 - February 24,2013
              Engaged: January 17,2013
              Closed The Distance-MS - AZ: June 15th,2013
              Moved To FL Together: November 14,2013
              We Got Married! - July 3,2014
              SO Graduated College - August 7,2015
              Moved to Ky - August 10, 2015

Comment

We talked it out and both got over it. It was stupid to let it lead to a fight but we are both very stubborn when it comes to our own point of views.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X