Trevolta - Crowd-funded trips!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trevolta - Crowd-funded trips!

I was just on Facebook and I saw my friend post a link about this so I decided to check it out.
    It's a website called Trevolta. There isn't much information on it but from what I gathered, you can plan amazing trips and have it funded by friends, family, and other sponsors. The website looks pertty legit, so I hope it's real!!
    This seems like a pretty neat idea - especially for those of us in long distance relationships!
    It's still in the beta phase, but I signed up in hopes that it'll be successful!
    Everyone should consider signing up and (HOPEFULLY!) get a trip funded to see all your lovely SO's.

Click here to sign up!
    [CENTER]

first met: ~10.03
    became official: 28.03.11
    first meeting: 08.06.12 - 24.06.12 (jason in vancouver)
    second meeting: 18.07.13 - 30.07.13 (jason in vancouver)
    our first vacation together: 30.07.13 - 20.08.13 (cynthia in new orleans)
    third meeting: 14.12.13 - 03.01.14 (cynthia in new orleans)
    fourth meeting: 21.05.14-02.06.14 (jason in vancouver)
    surprise! 13.08.14-27.08.14 (cynthia surprises jason in new orleans)
    viva las vegas: 21.12.14 - 24.12.14 (c+j vacation together in vegas!)
    jason's 1st canadian christmas: 24.12.14-02.01.15
    my first mardi gras: 12.02.15-20.02.15

While websites like these are good the downfall of them are if you don't have enough friends/family/followers to share and/or donate you'll get no where sadly . Even still a lot of people i've noticed ignore or avoid donating on crowdfunding websites due to they aren't sure where their money is really going unless you're a celebrity who'll get the amount they need in an hour (i don't think celebrities should use crowdfunding as they take away from those who actually do need the money).

Anyways, I don't mean to be or sound mean, it's just what i've noticed (i've been doing an internship for a company who uses crowdfunding and they get a lot of regular donations, but they get little to nothing through crowdfunding).

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Thanks for the link! I'll be sure to check it out.

Comment

I hate to be a Debbie downer, but honestly, unless you're doing something that's a legit charity, you shouldn't be bumming money off others to do it, regardless if they are friends or family. Half the joy of going on a trip is the satisfaction of the hard work you put into it... isn't it?
        Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I don't think I'd personally feel comfortable asking for people to fund me like this especially in the current financial climate when a lot of people I know are struggling. But.... without me asking a lot of friends and family gave me money towards travel instead of birthday presents which was very sweet. It's a nice idea if you know lots of rich people though!

Comment

Yep, no thanks. I find the idea almost offensive.
            I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

I've never liked when people ask for donations to see their SO's. I get that it's important to the individual, believe me I do, but it's a bit selfish to ask people for money for it. Most people in LDR's have to work hard to save money and wait patiently to see their SO's, it's sort of a package deal. If you love your SO, and you are fully capable of raising money on your own, then do it; don't ask for other people to do it for you. I don't know, this is just my personal opinion on the subject.

It is a cool idea though. I don't remember what the site is called anymore, actually, I'm sure there are several of them. This idea reminds me of those sites where you can pitch a movie, show, or creative film idea and have people fund the production of it. The difference is that people are "donating" because they want to see the final production, so it's almost no different than buying a 5$ DVD. People giving you money to see your SO is a charity.

Comment

Well I think it's an interesting idea. I'd rather donate to my friend's or cousin's dream trip instead of having to buy them random stuff for birthdays and Christmas. In either case I spend money on them, it's just that this would be a better way to do it. As long as everyone is clear what they're asking money for (ie, it's not for 'real' charity, but more like a gift) I see no problem with it.

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

I am not a fan of donating money to any cause (I prefer to donate my time and services).

These websites also have to take a share to cover the operating expenses.

Comment

To be honest, I'd never donate to fund someone's trip, I only donate to causes that are personally important to me. LDR's are expensive, what about the next trip, and the one after that? I'm just not a fan of sites where you ask for money, though I'm sure it could work for some people, short term. It's better to figure out funding yourself, because one trip isn't enough, and the generosity of others will wear thin pretty quickly.
                    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I've always funded my own trips out to see my SO. I've never asked anyone for money for that purpose, but a lot of my closest family and friends know about my relationship and have gave me money instead of birthday/Christmas presents.

I have no idea how exactly this website works but it sounded pretty neat as I've never personally seen one like it before. Whether or not my friends/family/anyone else decides to support the cause is completely up to them. I just thought it was a neat idea and may work for some people who have superb "fundraising" skills.

To each their own!
                      [CENTER]

first met: ~10.03
                      became official: 28.03.11
                      first meeting: 08.06.12 - 24.06.12 (jason in vancouver)
                      second meeting: 18.07.13 - 30.07.13 (jason in vancouver)
                      our first vacation together: 30.07.13 - 20.08.13 (cynthia in new orleans)
                      third meeting: 14.12.13 - 03.01.14 (cynthia in new orleans)
                      fourth meeting: 21.05.14-02.06.14 (jason in vancouver)
                      surprise! 13.08.14-27.08.14 (cynthia surprises jason in new orleans)
                      viva las vegas: 21.12.14 - 24.12.14 (c+j vacation together in vegas!)
                      jason's 1st canadian christmas: 24.12.14-02.01.15
                      my first mardi gras: 12.02.15-20.02.15

Comment

Working...
                      X