I need a little help/advice from you guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a little help/advice from you guys

I don't know if I've posted it here before, but our closing the distance date has changed... We're now going to go two years before closing the distance. And as some of you know, I don't get visits either...
    I can do this for this two years. I know i can, and i know it's worth it. but I have to be able to hold his hand at some point. i have to be able to know what it feels like, or I'm going to break down.

Neither of us can get a job (no, im not asking for pity pennies) and we both live poorly with our parents so any money we do get is hard to keep. so saving up for a visit is hard. I'm already doing some writing work on odesk.com, and some other things on the internet i can do to try and save some money. Do you guys know of any other online work I can do? I don't have time to waste on surveys, they really don't pay anyway.

Also, What's the best way to go about buying a plane ticket? the cheapest, i mean. There are so many different sites that say they're all cheap but in my world 300 dollars isn't cheap! If that is the cheapest, then okay. Do you guys know of any other ways to make this as cheap as possible? I have to budget for a hotel, and cabs because i cant drive. I have the hotel picked out, its cheap and will give me free breakfast so thats a little less food to buy. I don't know how much cabs are though. :/
    If you guys can help me with anything, that would be great. :3

Also, I wasn't sure where this belonged XD sorry if it's in the wrong spot.

ALSO! I'm writing blog type articles for money too, so if you guys could even just suggest topics for me to write about that you think would get alot of views, that would be helpful too ^_^;

Comment

Can I ask why neither of you can get a job?
      So, here you are
      too foreign for home
      too foreign for here.
      Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

Are you flying in from Atlanta?
        $300 might be about the best, without some sort of special. Kayak.com will pull prices from a variety of airlines, so check there. However, it DOESN'T pull Southwest's, and they frequently do deals, so I'd check them as well. (The deals are usually still around $175-$200 though.)

Does your SO live in the city? If so, skip cabs. They're expensive, and NY has a pretty comprehensive subway system, and it's a very walkable city.

Comment

I don't know if this applies, but what about the Greyhound bus? Generally a lot cheaper than air fare. You're paying for the conditions of it and the length of time it takes to get anywhere, but you can sometimes save a buck if you sacrifice comfort.

Comment

He can't get a job because he's a full time student. I've been trying in my town for three freakin years, but since the economy drop you have to know the right people to get a job anywhere. and since i cant drive, it has to be somewhere i can walk to. Driving will probably never be an option for me, because i have a seizure disorder. so please don't think im just being lazy about that. I would love to be able to drive X_X

and yes, I'd be leaving from Atlanta. He doesn't live in the city, im not sure how far his town is from NYC, but he makes seem a good bit away.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePiedPiper View Post
              I don't know if this applies, but what about the Greyhound bus? Generally a lot cheaper than air fare. You're paying for the conditions of it and the length of time it takes to get anywhere, but you can sometimes save a buck if you sacrifice comfort.
              How much on average do you think a greyhound ticket would cost? We discussed train, but i think thats still a couple hundred. and if its still going to be a couple hundred, i would like to keep the comfort lol

Comment

I wasn't trying to be rude or imply anything, I was just curious. As an international student to the US I have a million regulations to follow if I want to get a job and so I am unaware of what the job market is like for American citizens (for instance, I didn't realize that my SO getting a job right after graduating with his Bachelor's degree, paying the way it does with benefits, was actually pretty uncommon). I don't drive either, because in my country you don't learn to drive until you can afford a car (at least mid 20s) and so I never learned. I had my first ever driving lesson with my SO yesterday and it terrifies me.

Has your SO tried to find some on-campus jobs (I am assuming he is at university, although if we're talking high-school I guess that doesn't work). I am also a full time student and I am only allowed to work part-time on campus, but doing so gave me a $400/month paycheck while still allowing me to study - it was the same location.

I am going to assume you've already looked at dog-walking or baby sitting for your neighbors? Doing chores for them for a little bit of money (clearing driveways from snow for instance, although I don't know how much snow you've been having). Blog posts and writing online won't give you the money you need as quickly as you'd need it but it's a start. I suggest checking craigslist, sometimes they list small jobs you could do from the comfort of your home.
                So, here you are
                too foreign for home
                too foreign for here.
                Never enough for both.

Comment

I used to be a full time baby sitter, but that fell through a couple times on me. (the first two times they tried not to pay me, then the third person just didn't need me anymore) every now and then i get an odd job from an elder women across the street. but its so rare and so little money i cant count on it. :/ and we don't get any snow down here. and no one really cares if they have leaves in their yard, and if they do they don't want to pay anyone for the work. I've tried. V_V

He is in college, and i dont think his college does on campus work because it's a small community college.

Comment

I found this while browsing around, maybe it'll help you or give you some more ideas!
                    So, here you are
                    too foreign for home
                    too foreign for here.
                    Never enough for both.

Comment

Originally posted by lilcupcake View Post
                      How much on average do you think a greyhound ticket would cost? We discussed train, but i think thats still a couple hundred. and if its still going to be a couple hundred, i would like to keep the comfort lol
                      $150 - $200, most likely, but it'll take you over a full day and include transfers, and it SUCKS.
                      I wouldn't recommend it, seriously. I took a bus from western Massachusetts to New York City once, what should have only been about a 4 hour trip, but we hit traffic and it ended up way longer. Being on a bus somehow feels even more cramped than being on a plane.

Comment

He is in college, and i dont think his college does on campus work because it's a small community college.
                        They probably don't, a lot of community colleges don't have those kind of opportunities.
                        That said, if he lives in New York, there should be plenty of part-time work he can do in retail or at a coffee shop or something. They'll usually work around school schedules.

Comment

I know he has tried some with no luck. but i think his mom doesnt want him getting a job so his financial aid doesnt drop and he can focus on school. I prefer it too, honestly. I know he does odd jobs every now and then, though. I'm hoping that will help.

Comment

Originally posted by lilcupcake View Post
                            I know he has tried some with no luck. but i think his mom doesnt want him getting a job so his financial aid doesnt drop and he can focus on school. I prefer it too, honestly. I know he does odd jobs every now and then, though. I'm hoping that will help.
                            Part-time jobs with student pay will affect financial aid very little, if at all.
                            Also, holding even a part-time job while in college is a huge benefit for a resume after graduating. It shows employers that you can effectively manage time, and gives some experience beyond just classes.

Comment

the problem with financial aid is what if he cant manage the time? Either way, I'd like to make the visit a surprise. which means no help from him anyway. I realize that's a long shot, but im a dreamer lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X