No announcement yet.

I need a little help/advice from you guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, holding even a part-time job while in college is a huge benefit for a resume after graduating. It shows employers that you can effectively manage time, and gives some experience beyond just classes.
    I wanted to stop on this for a second, just because I have so many mates that didn't work when they studied and then couldn't/can't get work now they are done. No one wants a 20-something year old with no work experience. If he can't get a job, even one day a week, he needs to volunteer for an internship or the chance "focusing on his studies" will bite him in the butt is huge. The world we live in can be full of lame.

Sorry for that off-topicness.

I don't know about your area, but over here we have websites like Find a Babysitter.com that help you get work in your community, it might be worth a google.
    If you're at all crafty, there's etsy. Things like this are probably very easy to make, require very little materials and can sell decently.
    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I've thought about that. However, I can't make him do anything or make his mom let him do anything. and even if that does happen, the odd jobs he does will have work experience credibility since they are with his dad in his business. so, even its not his dream job, there is something even its just temporary until he can get his dream job lol.

Comment

If your SO doesn't live in NYC and he doesn't drive I'm gonna tell you now cabs are going to be expensive. My SO lives in the upstate/central NY and everything is soooooo spread out that it's at least a 20-30 minute drive to a small city. And even taxi services usually only serve the bigger cities like Rochester.

Notes:
        Met: 8.17.09
        Started Dating: 8.20.09
        First Met: 10.2.10
        Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

I don't usually do this, and don't dare ask me for her name to drop, but my daughter works at home for this company Contenzio

She does content and market media writing, and she makes very OK money as a contractor for them. You have to have EXCELLENT spelling, grammar, and creativity. You'll write about everything from law, to plumbing, to sex toys, not your choice! Everyone seems to think they're an author these days, and you really might not get hired, but they'll start you slowly, and if they like your work, you'll get good raises and a lot of work. You do have to put away enough money to pay your own taxes, as they absolutely let the government know you work for them.

Check them out, you have nothing to lose, except possibly some of your pride My daughter did have some authoring experience, she was a volunteer content writer for Pottermore while it was in beta, and she's extremely good. She's been with them for more than 6 months, I think, and she does work about 8 hours a day, it's actually hard work. If you're serious about work, this might be for you. Good luck.
          Last edited by Moon; January 1, 2014, 10:25 PM. Reason: bad spelling
          Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
            I don't usually do this, and don't dare ask me for her name to drop, but my daughter works at home for this company Contenzio

She does content and market media writing, and she makes very OK money as a contractor for them. You have to have EXCELLENT spelling, grammar, and creativity. You'll write about everything from law, to plumbing, to sex toys, not your choice! Everyone seems to think they're an author these days, and you really might not get hired, but they'll start you slowly, and if they like your work, you'll get good raises and a lot of work. You do have to put away enough money to pay your own taxes, as they absolutely let the government know you work for them.

Check them out, you have nothing to lose, except possibly some of your pride My daughter did have some authoring experience, she was a volunteer content writer for Pottermore while it was in beta, and she's extremely good. She's been with them for more than 6 months, I think, and she does work about 8 hours a day, it's actually hard work. If you're serious about work, this might be for you. Good luck.

Thank you! I'll definitely check it out. it sounds a lot like what im already doing on odesk. I'm trying to avoid writing the erotica's, because i want to write children's books one day and im afraid it'll blowup in my face in a few years.

Comment

There are options like couch surfing etc that could def help you. Look into them and try to see if you can have a friend travel with you

Comment

Originally posted by I_essie View Post
                There are options like couch surfing etc that could def help you. Look into them and try to see if you can have a friend travel with you
                holy crap, the idea of that is so terrifying lol. I think if i really needed it, his friends would let me stay at their place. at least that way it won't be a complete stranger, ya know? I have way too many fears of the human race to sleep on strangers couch haha.

Comment

Originally posted by lilcupcake View Post
                  Thank you! I'll definitely check it out. it sounds a lot like what im already doing on odesk. I'm trying to avoid writing the erotica's, because i want to write children's books one day and im afraid it'll blowup in my face in a few years.
                  You can decline assignments, and you wouldn't be writing erotica. The company has a client who needs content written for their website, like some lawyer in Louisiana, or a plumber in London, a big gift novelty catalog (g-rated) in Australia, or a sex toy website You write descriptive content, anything like blog posts, descriptions for whatever their products are, reviews, etc. Your name is not attached to the content, except for the company knowing it, who submits to their clients. It's not story writing, some of it is horribly boring and repetitive, but my daughter earns an actual living wage, not a few extra bucks here and there. It's her full time job, which she earns a decent weekly salary. Feel free to pm me, if you have any questions.
                  Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
                    You can decline assignments, and you wouldn't be writing erotica. The company has a client who needs content written for their website, like some lawyer in Louisiana, or a plumber in London, a big gift novelty catalog (g-rated) in Australia, or a sex toy website You write descriptive content, anything like blog posts, descriptions for whatever their products are, reviews, etc. Your name is not attached to the content, except for the company knowing it, who submits to their clients. It's not story writing, some of it is horribly boring and repetitive, but my daughter earns an actual living wage, not a few extra bucks here and there. It's her full time job, which she earns a decent weekly salary. Feel free to pm me, if you have any questions.

Oh I just mentioned the erotica because there are SOOO many people on the odesk website that need erotica writers! it really is crazy! lol

Comment

Working...
                    X