Update: Another leap forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update: Another leap forward

Last time I updated on here things were pretty grim and we were looking at taking a break in our relationship... We had some rough months that had us re-evaluate things over and over and made us want to throw in the towel... His mother being our #1 issue as she would pick a fight with him and they would yell at each other every single time she heard him talking to me. She even tried to invite some of the rest of his family to hold an intervention about how I was ruinning his life (but that backfired on her, when his extended family took his side)

Anyways even though we were both broke, we decided we wouldn't miss our first Christmas together so we found a way to afford a flight. We were going to keep things really cheap, but the closer we got to the vacation, the more he tried to plan bigger more romantic things... He even booked us a nice hotel in San Antonio.

2 nights before my visit, I got a phone call in the middle of the night. Half asleep, I couldn't figure out what was going on and I assumed he was drunk calling me (Something he used to do a lot until he slowed way down on his drinking) So I hung up and texted him a nasty text about disturbing in the middle of the night when he knew I was sick and so tired and I had guests in my house. I got a text back... from his cousin. Saying they were in the hospital... Because Siamak had hurt his leg. I looked at my phone in confusion. In my half asleep state it made no sense... so I answered I didn't know what to believe and couldn't figure out what was going on. So his cousin took a picture of Siamak in the hospital.

Obviously that got my attention and I called his cousin to find out what had happened. (He accidentally stabbed his leg... umm yeah...)

So yeah a couple days before our trip, he's in the hospital, he gets something like 15 stitches in his thigh and all our plans are in the air. Our road trip to San Antonio becomes definitely canceled but I bring up the fact that with a huge hospital bill looming ahead of him and not knowing when he would be able to go back to work, it made no sense for us to spend any money on a visit (since we always have had to stay in hotels when I go).

So he brought up a solution that I never imagined would happen. He asked if I would stay with him. At his mom's house. He wouldn't be able to do her grocery shopping and maybe I could help them both out... I was absolutely terrified! This is the woman who does everything she can to sabbotage our relationship! But I decided this was a good opportunity...

So I was picked up at the airport by his only friend that I had met before, and he brought me to Siamak's mother's house. Now this is a very big deal, my SO has been living in the US for only 4 years. Not only does he come from a culture where the mother just simply does not get introduced to the girlfriend until they are going to be married, but his mother is especially traditional and old fashioned. She's in her 70s and that's just not how things are...

But she accepted me in her home with open arms (and a hug, and 3 kisses on the cheeks) She cooked for me, she fought me whenever I tried to do the dishes and she tried to communicate with me. The SO and I grew so much closer during that week. We had some fights that we were able to resolve without drama and by talking and we did a lot of cuddling and talking and dreaming together. I proved to him that even though his mother still didn't like me and still was unhappy about the situation, that I could make it work... We all made the best of a bad situation.

And for the first time, I was REALLY let in to his life. For the first time, I could see he was not ashamed by me... He always said he is just a private person, but when I got insecure I always felt it meant he didn't want people to know about me because he was ashamed. But I was introduced to his mother, and his cousin and we even skyped with his friends in Iran...

This was the absolute worse I ever broke down when we had to say goodbye. Airport security actually had to comfort me because when they asked me if I was travelling alone, I burst into an unnattractive mess of loud crying!

Now it has been 3 weeks, and I am trying to regain our long distance groove but he is resisting. He says he can't go back to how things were because he couldn't get himself to feel comfortable with not being with me... We had a big fight about it last night... But he has matured so much and he can turn things around now... He can talk to me clamly while I'm a crying mess. We discussed the possibility of throwing in the towel... beause if he couldn't go back to normal long-distance, but we can't close the distance, what other options is there?

But then I asked him if Austin, Texas was a possibility for him.. And a new plan has started to emerge... It's not an easier plan... maybe even a more difficult one... but it has strange possibilities... But now I have to somehow find a way to sell the idea to the ex husband... Because he would have to move too... for the kids... but also because Austin is a good option for him and his career... We used to both work for Dell, and lately a few of our mutal friends and ex-c-workers have been relocating to AUstin to go back to Dell... I know myex is frutrated with the lack of opportunities for him and his almost fiance here and I know he has considered leaving the children behind to pursue work opportunities... He is tired of living in a small appartment and he could afford a house there...

Still, it's nice to have different options... And this absolutely crazy option could work really well for everyone.
    First met online: June, 2010
    First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
    Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
    Third visit together: August, 2012
    Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
    Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
    Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
    Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

While I'm happy you seem to be happy, I can't help but think that this is the exact same bad situation you were in before. You were together for only a week and you fought various times? Then just three weeks later you have another fight that almost lead to breaking up (again)? I think you two need different people in your lives.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
      While I'm happy you seem to be happy, I can't help but think that this is the exact same bad situation you were in before. You were together for only a week and you fought various times? Then just three weeks later you have another fight that almost lead to breaking up (again)? I think you two need different people in your lives.
      His mother welcomed Vero into her home and (from what we know) she treated Vero very nicely. Perhaps this is the start of a big change in her relationship that may just make it work out after all. Ending the relationship now would be a bad idea in my opinion, this could become something good.
      Last edited by Tooki; January 16, 2014, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks Tooki.

I guess I posted this without much context because it was an update post and more about me being happy than something I thought I would be judged on... If I had been looking for advice, I would have given clearer context and problably would have braced myself and been prepared for a reply like this and not have felt so crushed...

The fact that your response (Lucybelle) gutted me like it did should illustrate that a lot of the problems in our relationship come from how over-sensitive I am. This is not an issue that can be solved simply by finding someone else. I still don't know if this relationship can stand the test of time... Not because of the fact that we fight, this is actually really important with me, and my personality that we do fight... I never fought with my ex husband... I didn't see a point to it... No if it doesn't survive it will be because the steps we have to take to close the distance are too big and too difficult...

In the meantime, I know I am exactly where I need to be. I have talked a lot about how much growing up he has done since I've met him, but the part that I have perhaps neglected is how much learning I have done. The issues I have with him are issues I would have with anyone... and right now, our long distance is actually something that is helping because it gives me a lot of time to reflect and to learn the things I love about myself as well as the things I would change. The distance allows me to stand up for myself (maybe a bit too much but I am just learning the balance) and then when we see each other in person, we literally try to take months of this learning and apply it to our close distance relationship... it often blows up from all the pressure we put on ourselves to get everything figured out.

If we treated our visits as vacations, I garantee we wouldn't fight... For example we never fight when we go to San Antonio. Just because this is vacation mode for us and we just relax and enjoy ourselves as opposed to trying to figure out the dynamics of our lives together.

Anyways, thanks for your opinion. I felt quite the range of emotions when I read it, but after some time to think about it, I will chose to accept it for how it was probably meant; a worried and/or caring gesture...
        Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)

Comment

I was wondering if you were gonna pop by and tell us about your trip to see the boy. I almost messaged you on FB asking how it went but I didn't want you to think I'm nosy. haha I was really surprised to see that you stayed at him place, even more so that she welcomed you with open arms! That is a huge step for both of you and I'm happy that it went well. It's great that you are discussing various options. Sometimes it feels like you should throw in the towel but the way I see it, there's a reason why you guys keep going find your way back to each other. Things happen for a reason and if it's meant to be, it will be!

Just wanted to add: If you need someone to talk to, I'm always around...instead of just walking passed each other on the street! haha Could be good to talk to someone (in person) who understands LDRs. For both of us.
          Last edited by Mims27; January 16, 2014, 12:18 PM.

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
          Married April 18th, 2015!!
          Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

Keep fighting for each other Vero. He is what's best for you and who makes you happy. I take your arguing as being passionate for one another (trust me, I know),and there is an obvious reason you both keep levitating towards each other. I'm so glad she welcomed you with open arms. It truly is a start and a very very good one! I loved seeing all of the happy silly pictures of the both of you on facebook.

I wish you nothing but the best and I hope everything goes smoothley with the ex.

Comment

I brought up the idea to the ex. It was a good timing because he's at his witts end trying to find a new job here in town and his grilfriend hasn't left the appartment in over a week because she can't handle the Canadian winters. He said it was a very interesting idea and he would definitely give it some thought and discuss it with his girlfriend.

It's just one tiny little hurdle in so many more... but hey! so far, so good!

Laura - I think the fighting being passionate or a problem really depends on the couple and the personalities... The reason our fighting gets so dramatic is my fault. I know what I do wrong, but I haven't figured out how to completely avoid the behaviour yet... I am either on or off... It's either the end of the world or everything will be okay. EVERY.LITTLE.FIGHT. makes me re-evaluate everything and makes me want to throw in the towel... I'm like this with my girl friends even. I don't fight too often with them, but if I do, I am convinced it's the end of the friendship. But you give me like 10 minutes and I have cooled down too much... Like I won't even stand up for what's important to me, I'm just like ok, I see you think you're right so maybe you are...

And we've both decided it was better for us to fight and for me to act like it's the end of the world, then to let things go and never figure them out... If I blow up, everything is out on the table and we can discuss it calmly later... Maybe some professional help could help me deal with things in a more normal way... but most of the time it works for us... Most of the time, these days, he doesn't take it to heart when I'm ready to throw in the towel... But when I hit him up with my drama right after his mother has laid it in on him with her drama (and I've seen them fight, she will NOT back down... it's crazy!) sometimes he can't think quite as objectively and my "I can't do this anymore!" become a lot more real...

Laura - I have been meaning to ask you how your story is progressing! We should chat sometime!

Mims - You have my full permission to be nosy!! I am always looking for someone to talk about this stuff to!!

Comment

So happy to read a positive update and hear from you 2014 fells like it's going to be a good one for you!
                Don't be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again.
                And meeting again, after moments or lifetime, is certain for those who are friends.
                ~Richard Bach

“Always,” said Snape.

Comment

Thanks Ioanna! I have hope that it might be the year!

Mims - I just noticed your little edit there. I am so shy and awkward at first which is why I haven't suggested it yet (but have come so close to asking you to hang out sooo often now!) We need to make it happen soon!

Comment

So glad to hear a happy update! I hope it all works out

Met online: 1/30/11
                    Met in person: 5/30/12
                    Second visit: 9/12/12
                    Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Verojoon View Post
                      Mims - I just noticed your little edit there. I am so shy and awkward at first which is why I haven't suggested it yet (but have come so close to asking you to hang out sooo often now!) We need to make it happen soon!
                      I'm pretty much exactly the same, so I'm sure we'll get along just fine! haha!
                      Glad to hear the talk with your EX went well. I can't imagine that would be an easy subject to bring up...

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
                      Married April 18th, 2015!!
                      Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

I'm glad you were able to work out things with the mother. That sounds like one hurdle is crossed. It also sounds like you got along well CD, so it could be the stress of the LD is what causes the fighting with you and the SO. If you love him, it's definitely worth any effort. I hope it works out the best for you.

I think that it's easy to get hurt by comments here, because the written word doesn't come with body language and facial expressions. Everyone communicates differently, too. When someone is more straight-up than we are used to, it can sting some. Realize that most everybody here cares and only wants the best for you. I've seen other posts where the poster didn't want advice, but got it anyway. It's our nature to want to help, and the only way we can help now is to give advice. We mean well.

Good luck to you.

Comment

Working...
                        X