Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if it's not the distance after all..what if we're just not right for each other?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if it's not the distance after all..what if we're just not right for each other?

Hi,

I've just found this website after a 1 year 3 month LDR. I'm just feeling a bit confused about everything and felt this might be a good place to get some advice. Me and my partner have been together for 3 years. In summer, we will have been apart for half our relationship.

We are only apart for work reasons- I got a job in one city, he has had to go to another one for his career (5 hours on the train away). My job was supposed to end this summer, so the plan was always that I would try and get a job where he is. We lived together for a year before he moved away. The problem is, I am now starting to get opportunities in my department and I now am starting to feel that I would like to stay here...I have also bought my first flat here and so have built a life for myself. There is no work for him in my city- he really needs to stay where he is. Our LDR has been hard, but we have always planned trips to see each, holidays and we thought we had an end date to the distance. The problem is, if I stay in my job (it is looking likely that the opportunity will arise), we will have no end date. As you might have guessed, we are both quite ambitious an want to do well in our careers!

Recently we have been arguing about who should compromise and now I'm starting to question if we should keep our relationship going. We have a lot in common and I do really love him. He is a really good person, a loyal and kind soul. I know he loves me and would be devastated if the relationship ended. The problem is, I have always wondered if there is someone else out there that would be better for me. I know that's awful to say, but its almost like 'what if'. I often think back to my ex's personality - very charismatic- and wish my current partner was more like that. He has many other wonderful characteristics that my ex didn't, but I can help comparing them. If our relationship was to end, I almost feel it would be easier now as we have our own lives anyway, rather than further down the line. I don't want to settle, I don't think I am, but I am just feeling very uncertain about us. I am also conscious that I am getting older and would like to have children. My current partner would be great dad and husband but that feels like a long way off at the moment.

There is also a financial element to our difficulties- I earn double what my partner does, therefore I pay for most holidays, many of our trips etc. While I don't mind this now, I worry that our lives will always be like this. I suppose that's why I feel he should move for my job- but I know that's not fair.

This has turned into a bit of a rant - I think I just needed to get it all out. I talk to my friends about it, but sometimes feel I cant be completely honest. Its somehow easier to tell people you don't know!

Any advice form people going through something similar, or older and wiser, would be really great.

This is so saddening to read! I am very sorry that you're feeling this way. Is there any possibility of the two of you moving to a completely new city that would suit both of your careers? Maybe that would be a compromise the both of you make. I, too, started to feel a little down when we reached the halfway mark in our relationship between CD and LD. We have now been LD for more than half and I have to say we are stronger than ever.

As for how you're feeling about your ex and comparing your current SO to him, maybe this is something serious for you to consider. It's not fair to either of you if you are constantly wondering "what if." I just feel like you need to be sure. Hope I've helped!
    Ignore the Newbie status. This is a new account created by a once very active LFAD member and veteran long-distance lover. After several months away from the site, I'm back!
    Old account name: Rach92g
    This Is Us
    Became A Couple: Friday, May 25th, 2007
    Close Distance: May 2007 - June 2010
    Long Distance (Georgia to California): June 2010 - February 2015
    Long Distance (Georgia to Tennessee): February 2015 - Present
    Got Engaged: May 8, 2015
    Closing The Distance: ?

Comment

Are there opportunities for you where he is?

I'm in a similar situation: I support us. Fortunately, though, he has been able to transfer his job to the city where we are now, and when we move again in 2015, he will hopefully be able to transfer then. Though, we are hoping the 2015 move will be our last. (Or at least, the last because of my current job.) I know how frustrating it can be. Don't give up just yet, at least, not until you have exhausted all of your options.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
      Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
      Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by lyonsgirl View Post
        Are there opportunities for you where he is?

I'm in a similar situation: I support us. Fortunately, though, he has been able to transfer his job to the city where we are now, and when we move again in 2015, he will hopefully be able to transfer then. Though, we are hoping the 2015 move will be our last. (Or at least, the last because of my current job.) I know how frustrating it can be. Don't give up just yet, at least, not until you have exhausted all of your options.
        Thank you both for your advice. There are potentially opportunities for me there and that is something I probably will look into. I'm in academia so it's quite hard to find a job, unless you bring in a grant or can get a lectureship (very competitive). It's often much easier to stay in an institute that can support you to write a grant application, than find somewhere knew. I am open to that though. I think its just all the uncertainty, the not knowing that makes it hard! One job advertisement could make all the difference and completely change our lives : )

Lyonsgirl, it is good to know other people are in similar situations. You have given me the hope I needed, thanks.

Comment

Thanks, yes I agree. I think I need to give it some serious thought. Its sometimes easier to focus on the negative and forget all the positives. Thanks for your advice. Good luck to you : )

Comment

Working...
          X