Positive Side of LDR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kittyo9 View Post
    I don't have to wear pants to any of our dates.

Hmmmm....that's a good one.
    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Ha, ditto on shaving legs and wearing pants.

I think long-distance fits both of our personalities. I wouldn't choose it over being close-distance with him of course, but I think this is now our comfort zone, and we do well in it. It just fits our lifestyles, and closing the distance is going to require a lot of change and adjustment in our personal spaces.

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

dito on what moon said and a extra bonus; you dont have to be afraid of killer farts when you had chilly, he only wonders why your eye's tear when you let one fly
        and you can eat garlic when you want without having to be afraid that you smell out of you mouth hehe ;P

Comment

^ Everything listed above...and I don't have to do my hair, put makeup on, or dress nicely for any 'dates'
          Plus I get to experience NYC whenever I visit

Comment

- Some people have already said this, but having that hardcore "butterflies-in-stomach" feeling for every meeting.
            - I think we wouldn't have communicated so much and learned so deeply about each other so quickly if we were CD for a long period of time before the LD started.
            - I was able to determine what kind of person he was and if this was really worth doing without having him physically in front of me, because I know sometimes strong attraction can get in the way of seeing what is truly inside someone. Luckily now I'm sure he is beautiful on the inside, too!
            - I also like that we are from different countries, so we have different cultural perspectives on some things.
            - It still feels bad to be so far away, tho.

Comment

Ok...good points. Still....there is no way I would pick LD over having him with me every night. We are super lucky.....from now through August we will see each other every other weekend, which works out to 11 days apart at a time (except the visit after this weekend...I have to wait 17 long days to see him again. I know that we are luckier than most.....but I still want him in my bed every night.... I guess LD is better than not having him!
              sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

Okay. .... I shall try to be positive.

Hmmmmm

Well I do now know how to put y'all into a sentence

Comment

My SO and I are both coming out of some very painful situations. We both have scars. The distance is allowing us time to get to know one another while healing from old wounds. He and I are able to talk about our hurts and dreams for the future. We are building a great, solid foundation for our future together. We both needed this space and time before the relationship moves forward. I'm not sure he and I could have made it as easily CD.

Comment

I get to travel and I have improved leaps and bounds with my communication problems.

Comment

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
                      To be honest the best thing about being in an LDR is my SO. I doubt I could do it with anyone other than him.
                      I agree 100% lol. I could never do this with anyone else :P...

Originally posted by kittyo9 View Post
                      I don't have to wear pants to any of our dates.
                      LOL! Love it!

Originally posted by Moon View Post
                      I am the Master of the Remote, mwuhahahaha!
                      So true...

I agree with the above posters! One that relates to my SO and I: I don't have to worry about him stealing my cookies. I mean he literally does it to mess with me!! D: I'm being 100% serious about this one, too!!! Don't mess with my chocolate chip cookies !

Comment

I always try to stay positive. I think if you let the negativity in it'll absorb you and make you miserable.

The positive side about this LDR - I got to meet him doing what I love! There would have been no other way we could have met, him being a US citizen who is scared of flying and would therefor never fly over to Europe and me being the scared little girl I used to be, who would never even have the money for a ticket if not for him.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                        First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                        Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                        Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                        Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                        Married: 1/24/2015
                        Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

I have heaps more free time, which I can use to work out (just realized this), study, other beneficial things. Also I value every little during the day text more, and he is better at talking on the phone when he hasn't seen me because he has more to say. I also have lots of inspiration to graduate on time, putting myself in the best possible position so I can get into grad school next to him.

Comment

Originally posted by piratemama View Post
                            My SO and I are both coming out of some very painful situations. We both have scars. The distance is allowing us time to get to know one another while healing from old wounds. He and I are able to talk about our hurts and dreams for the future. We are building a great, solid foundation for our future together. We both needed this space and time before the relationship moves forward. I'm not sure he and I could have made it as easily CD.
                            Wow, that made me stop and think. B and I are the same as you and your SO. I think if we'd met CD we wouldn't have taken the time to explore each others past and talk about all the scars/pain of past marriages/relationships.

Meeting online, and getting to know each other that way for a year before meeting in person, was a great way for us to have really deep conversations and to learn so much about each other -- and ourselves!
                            February 2012 -- met online
                            August 2012 -- he said "I love you."
                            April 2013 -- met in person
                            June 2013 -- broke up
                            July 2013 -- back together
                            August 2013 -- 2nd visit
                            October 20, 2013 -- He proposed!
                            April 22, 2014 -- Married/closed the distance!

Comment

I agree with a lot of things that previous posters said! To add some of my own:

-taking the time and making the effort to get to know each other again and reconnect
                              -knowing there are certain times I can do my own thing
                              -having small and big things to look forward to
                              -actually talking to someone else on the phone besides my parents on a regular basis
                              -developing stronger communication skills and becoming stronger

I would never have chosen to be in an LDR but there are benefits to it. I look forward to closing the distance but believe my SO and I will always be stronger than a couple who's always been CD because we'll cherish each other and being physically together more since we'll know what it's like to be apart.
                              Our love story:
                              Attended the same high school 2004-2007
                              Dated CD: June 2009-July 2010
                              Reconnected: August 2012
                              Began dating LD: November 2012
                              Engaged! March 2014
                              Closing the distance: December 2015

Comment

My boyfriend has a powerful presence in my life, even though its LD. I talk about him to family and close friends, and he participates in my life from supporting and encouraging me. We have ups, we have lows, but in the end, I couldn't care less about some con people could assign to an LDR. Asking someone in an LDR "Why would you put yourself through that?" is like asking the same question to someone pursuing a PhD. It could be a long, painful process, and many would give up, but its so rewarding when you know it'll be worth it. I love my SO more than anything-- that could change in 1, 2, 4 years maybe. But for now, I know he feels the same, and we're willing to fight our own selfish emotions so that we can be with each other. I think that journey is the positive side of an LDR-- an actual positive side. I wouldn't trade what growth I've experienced for anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X