I think I just ended things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I just ended things

This happened earlier today, but I've been trying to gather my thoughts about it, and I'm still feeling a little fried.

My s/o and I, due to his ridiculous schedule, never really had time to chat. That never bothered me; I was in a similar situation with a previous boyfriend due to school, so not talking frequently is actually really no big deal. It started to become a big deal when we would talk for about 5 minutes every week and a half or so, and we'd only talk about him. Him and his job prospects. No flirting, no talking about me or my day (the only time I got to talk about me was when I had to go to the ER), no mindless banter. Nothing. Furthermore, I had to be the one to reach out to him. I tried to brush it off since I knew things were getting out of hand at work, and he is trying really hard to find another job. I was also hoping to hold out until I go to London in September, thinking maybe things would get a bit better once he's seen my face and it registers that yes hello I'm a real person.
    But that was another issue. He went from being really excited about London, to being like "if I get this job, I might not be able to go", to today where he was like, "I'm not going if I get this job." He's known about this for months, so I got a little upset he refused to even consider coming down for a weekend. That led me to finally ask him what was going on, and how he was feeling in regards to "us". I already kinda knew the answer, and I feel like I've known this was happening for a while now, but I was hopeful regardless.
    He basically told me he wasn't feeling anything, and hasn't for a while. He's too caught up in trying to further his career, and a bunch of other lazy excuses. I tried to talk to him about it, but he got very defensive and very mean, which really hurt. I've been nothing but patient and supportive of him, I've always told him if I felt like something was wrong, and I never got mad at him. I always gave him a chance to explain things, and I was always there to listen when work was giving him problems. But today, when I told him he should have told me he was feeling this way back when, you know, he first started feeling this way, he started putting words and assumptions in my mouth. Suddenly, I was being unfair (I wasn't), he was "sorry" that he didn't feel or act how I wanted him to (I don't know what the hell that was supposed to mean), that I asked for his honest opinion so I shouldn't be mad (I wasn't), I was demanding we talk all day and all night like we used to (I wasn't), I don't want the same things in life that he does (a job?), etc. It came out of nowhere and hit me hard. I told him he was being an ass and that it wasn't fair, because I didn't do anything wrong, and he finally admitted he was entirely in the wrong and agreed I hadn't done anything wrong. That was the closest thing to an apology I got, and I'm still not too thrilled with it.
    He tried to tell me that his feelings change from time to time, and that maybe his feelings will be positive once I come across and we (maybe) meet. But I don't feel like that's fair. I don't know if he was asking me to stick around and wait to find out, but I'm not going to. He told me we were in limbo, waiting on something that may or may not actually happen. There's no foundation on which to build a relationship when the person of your fancy is trying to do everything on their terms, depending on how they feel. I can't make him want something he isn't really feeling, and I can't make him work for something he doesn't want. If he wanted us to be a real thing, he would find a way to make us happen. We wouldn't have been in limbo. at
    I'm feeling very confused and very played. Whether he meant to or not, I feel like he played with my emotions and used my patience for his own personal gain.
    I love him dearly, but I deserve to be treated better. I don't know what to think or what to do. The conversation ended on a weird note.

TL;DR
    My s/o was being distant. I asked what was wrong, and he turned into a huge asshole. I think I broke up with him, but the conversation left me fried and confused.

Big hugs woman. I understand what you mean about taking a while to sink in. Especially when it's not planned. You do deserve to be treated well and if he's not doing that, it may be time to cut your losses and move on. We're here for you though.
    "Sometimes you just have to let art flow over you."

Comment

^ I have to agree. I'm so sorry you're going through this I don't blame you though, I wouldn't stick around for him. you need to do what makes you happy and it isn't fair of you to be putting in the most effort in the relationship. If he wanted to make it work, he would try harder. Give yourself some time

Comment

Of course you can't stick around for him. You are not his frozen dinner, ready for heating whenever he should feel like it. I am sorry it comes to this. If you want closure, it sounds as if you must provide it yourself and tell him this relationship is not worth your time.
        I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
        - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

So sorry to hear this.

Comment

Originally posted by Harlequin View Post
            I deserve to be treated better.
            Yes, you do Take a little time to sort things out in your head. You might be riding an emotional wave that will make you change your mind if you speak to him too soon. Good luck!

Comment

I actually admire you. You are a strong person and you do not settle for less than what you deserve. I'm sorry this is happening to you, but really, kudos.
              I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

I'm really sorry to hear about what you're going through. He reacted completely unnecessary and unfairly to you. You made some good points, and I think you acted maturely about it. As the saying goes, he won't know what he had until it's gone. And you do deserve to be treated better. I get that he wants to further his career, and it's important to him but you're human too, you and your relationship deserve the respect, effort and time that he hasn't given.
                Last edited by JaneEmily; July 8, 2014, 05:53 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Two things came to mind after reading your post. Either he really doesn't want be in a relationship anymore, and he's acting out because he's trying to make himself feel less like an asshole for ending things, so he's trying to put the blame on you. Which may work for awhile, but eventually he'll realize he was so wrong for how he treated you. If you don't want to be with someone, be an adult about it. OR, he's really stressed out with his job situation, and maybe whatever else he's got going on in his life. Perhaps if you give him a few days, don't reach out to him, see if he contacts you or not. I can totally relate to the 'feelings changing' bit. While I love my SO, there are days when I feel different, my feelings about us and whether or not this will all work out in the end the way I would like it to. I think it's normal to have some ups and downs. But you don't deserve to be treated badly because he's having a hard time/unsure of what he wants.

Comment

Sorry to hear that, but I'm glad you are doing what's best for you.

Comment

I agree with TwoThree. You are very strong and I am proud of you. It's sad it came to an end, but you deserve better!!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                      First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                      Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                      Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                      Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                      Married: 1/24/2015
                      Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

I also admire you for having the courage to end it, instead of clinging on to whatever meager and unfair "relationship" he was offering. I hope you're kind to yourself and feel better sooner rather than later.
                        So, here you are
                        too foreign for home
                        too foreign for here.
                        Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

Sorry it had to happen... But from my experience, stress DOES alter the way one thinks. 'Cause it's altered the way I think in the past, and by this I mean I would suggest breaking up saying we weren't meant to be when we really weren't ready to break up at all. In my head, it made sense that by breaking up with her, I'd protect her from all the stressful crap that I might end up putting her through due to the stressful crap that I was going through at the time... Messy sentence, I know. xD Basically, the stressful situation I was in had me thinking that I'd be doing an honourable thing by breaking up with her, and if she hated me for it? Then so be it, I was ready to become the "bad guy" if it meant I could protect her from whatever crap that was consuming ME.

Are you absolutely positive that he is being completely honest in terms of how he feels about everything? And also, are YOU being completely honest about how YOU feel about everything? Like I said, stress alters the way you think, and it definitely clouds your judgement. If you must break up with him, break up. But ideally, you two should be on the same page when that happens just so that you guys can end it on reasonably good terms. That's what I think.

Comment

That sucks, but if it's any consolation, everyone's right that you're being strong to stand up for your needs. Relationships are always a give and take, but it sounds like he's solidly in "take" mode and has been for awhile. You *do* deserve better, and it's really..refreshing?.. to see you calmly but confidently standing up for yourself and your needs/wants.

I agree with whoever suggested maybe giving yourselves a few days to step back, gather thoughts, etc. and then approach it again, if he's open to conversation. Go into it knowing what you're looking for. If it's to break up for sure, and make it official for you both, that's fine.. if it's to say you're not sure about breaking up but if you're going to say together you need to both discuss some changes and ground rules, that's also fine. And be prepared for him to want to break it off officially, too.
                            Take some time to think it through first, and don't be afraid to keep going with the assertiveness you'd been showing. There's a line between being a doormat and being a bitch, and it sounds like you're hitting it just right.

Good luck.

Comment

If I'm reading your post and your siggy correctly, this London thing would be your first IRL meeting?

If so, and he's hemming and hawing and wishy washy about it, when he should be uber excited about meeting you and doing whatever it takes to make it happen...then he deserves to be broken up with. You deserve better than that!

Stay strong!
                              Once in a while, right in the middle of an ordinary life, Love gives us a fairytale!

Comment

Working...
                              X