We did it! We ran away together!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snow View Post
    If visas needed to be obtained, then at some point it is going to be illegal.
    Not if you're always within the tourist limits. In theory, you could do it as long as you can afford to without it being illegal if you're respecting the tourist time lengths and customs admits you.

I have a friend that did it for awhile. This country for 2 months, that country for 1, etc.

Like I said, I don't see it as sustainable long-term for most people, because you can't have official residence in any of these places nor can you work in those countries. She did it on savings, and with her boyfriend who worked remotely, so he could still have money coming in.

It's certainly not a solution for "getting around" visas to live with a partner, or anything, but people definitely do "location hopping" as a thing.

For the OP's sake, I hope they're referring to location hopping as opposed to just ignoring visa laws. It doesn't quite sound like it, but I'm trying to give benefit of the doubt.

Comment

I did that for three years sorta, legally. 90 Days in USA and 90 days, more like 88, in NL. This last year he came to USA in December, we stayed there till January, onward to NL, then to Croatia (not yet in Schengen) for 2.5 months, then UK for .05 months, back to NL for 88 more day then now in Uk again for up to 6 months legally, technically after 90 days if needed I could go back to NL.

UK does not like multiple long term visits, but NL really just cares you can prove you have cash to support yourself and won't just stay and not leave. Croatia is a great place to jump to if you need more time, you can stay for up to 90 days there and it does not affect any Schengen time. It is very possible to do Uk/Schengen/ Croatia but you do need some money.

I spent a ton of money for flights and room and board while doing it. I am also self employed and able to work remotely from anywhere in globe. I don't know how anyone could do it without a ton of money and if you have money like that, then you should be able to get a visa for Schengen quite easily. With enough cash, all is possible.

I would advise against just breaking immigration rules, if you get caught you can get banned from all of Schengen for 10 years. You can never leave or you will get caught. Every road, every flight, every waterway has check points. Be careful about even leaving Portgual, if you look questionable they have a right to ask for your passport in every control. Read the Schengen rules carefully. They most likely won't in Schengen to Schengen, but they do have that right and the reason why is to prevent people from breaking the immigration rules.

If your partner is EU, then it is much easier to do as we did. Have him get a job in an EU country other than his own and get married in Gibraltar. Gibraltar has no residency requirements. You can call them up a week in advance and email all the needed documents to them. then you have to stay there for one day and then get married next day. Once you are the family member of a EU citizens exercising his right as a worker in another EU country you are allowed to stay there. You can opt to apply for the residence permit/card at that point or not but you are allowed to live there for good with your spouse.

My SO is NL, I am USA, we picked UK. He got a job there. We are doing the Gibraltar thing in a few months time. After that, I can stay here forever with him. This is 100 percent legal. It is so much better than trying to cheat the system and hide for a life time. I would recommend you enjoy your 88 days or so together and then work on your partner getting a job in an EU country other than their own. Belfast is hiring many many many foreigners, if you want any info on my SO's company PM me.
      Last edited by Hollandia; September 24, 2014, 10:13 AM.
      "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I want to hear more of this

Comment

I also am feeling a weird vibe off the original post. Definitely not the route my SO and I would want to do, as bad as we want to be together. It's not worth the risk or stress or extra money spent.. we just have to suck it up and wait until we can get the money for a visa and living together. And if you do something illegal, chances are you will get caught some time or another and then all the fun ends and the process is made even tougher.. so it would be interesting if the original poster responds..otherwise who knows if they are actually telling the truth... or maybe there's more to the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Mims27 View Post
            Going to my SO's for the weekend is expensive enough, I can't imagine ''running away''...lol
            Exactly.

I would have all sorts of anxiety doing something like this, lol.

Comment

Working...
            X