Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We ran away.... We left the 5000 miles distance behind!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dziubka View Post
    There's a reason that most 20somethings don't save up for retirement and it's not because they don't care. Just sayin.
    I used to think that, too, and believe me I'm not rolling in money now, but literally even small amount ($5/week) can do more than you'd think. It's not so much that they can't afford to as it is that priorities haven't shifted.

Comment

Did we ever find out what happened to this girl lol ?

Comment

Originally posted by itsjen516 View Post
        Did we ever find out what happened to this girl lol ?
        Well, it's (strangely enough, long thread xD) only a day since she posted this thread, so I'm sure we'll hear from her/them eventually

All of this made me think of this video, by the way. To me it's inspirational, while to others it's probably a load of bullcrap. But I thought it might apply to all this talk about money and not:

Last edited by Alle1770; October 1, 2014, 02:05 PM.

Met online: February 2011
        Met the first time: August 16, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Alle1770 View Post
          Because it IS grand and because IT IS easy to do. I might not have been running away from visas (and neither are they, in fact), but hell, I know a lot about travelling on a budget. My SO and I had a two week vacation in Greece that cost us less than two weeks here in Sweden would. We slept in a tent on the beach instead of at a fancy hotel, and bought groceries at the local market that we cooked ourselves instead of eating out. Living cheaply really isn't hard if you know what to do and how to do it. You make it sound like you're the sole expert on this area, but I can promise you that you are not.
          2 whole weeks? OMG , you are such the expert, I stand corrected.
          "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
          Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Dziubka View Post
            There's a reason that most 20somethings don't save up for retirement and it's not because they don't care. Just sayin.

I don't know what I'm wrong about or what you're talking about in the first paragraph.

But what you did (unless I'm mistaken about your situation) was stay in the same place as long as you could (as illustrated by you not even having enough time to take a bus to Croatia) and that does not fulfil my personal definition of traveling. Sorry.
            I once stayed in Poland for three months and I very much considered myself living there. (Even though I didn't register because I didn't need to).

I'm too much of a princess to do the hostel dorm, living off spinach (this one is really cheap 0.40€ for a pack of frozen spinach) and pasta, but you really don't technically need a lot of money to get by, especially if you avoid expensive countries.

No, again you are wrong. We stayed were we could afford to and were allowed to to make the visa running work. You seem to want to make my situation sound so glamorous compared to hers, while all I am trying to do is give her significant experienced advice but look over several months of my last posts and you will see, I did what I had to and made the best of it to be with my SO.

The fun and joy of just being together runs out after a few months. I am not saying we felt it was not worth it, but it was quite far from easy. I also did have more income and assets at my hands but still it become a very difficult and expensive life to lead. Travel is not so much fun, nor is it exotic or cool once it becomes a requirement of your existence to not break a law. My situation with Croatia had to do with a sick family member, thank you very much, as I said, life visa running also has to go around real life. \

I am beyond fed up trying to explain how hard it is to those that have never done it and seen "others" that did. If you think it is so great, go do it yourselves. If you think your savings is not important for your future, then go spend it, if you think your jobs are not going to affect your future, then quit and if you think that love is more important than education then leave school.

The OP is about my daughter's age. I run a business, I know a few things about making money stretch but then again, you are all experts too right? You found a way to see your SO for the last 3 plus years every 90 days or less with your finances with a failing business and multiple personal expenses? Did you spend months at a time researching every way imaginable to make it feasible and still not ruin your chance at closing the distance? No, then you have no clue.

I take offense to any that think I "lived" in places for periods of time. Bullshit, you know what? I live in USA until I can live somewhere with my SO. I hate living on the road. I hate having a suitcase of clothes for years and I hate not having a real frakin home. I did all this to be with him. Yeah, travel is fun, Yeah, vacations are fun, but this is not about that, this was about doing whatever was needed to see him, no matter what it took and again, pushing the boundaries of what it cost.

Fuck anyone that thinks I did it the easy and expensive way. Seriously, fuck you. I did whatever I could. Do you think I like living in a shared house with strangers of 5 with one frakin bathroom? Do you think I liked staying in Ilford in a sketchy area when I had to run to UK?

Yes, in the past I had money to burn but i learned a long time ago that long term visa running mean huge unexpected costs and I don't give a rats ass, if you have not jumped the globe for a few years to do it, then you really don't have a clue.

They want to do so, so be it, enjoy it. It won't help their cause to close the distance legit and we all said that.

I have friends and relatives that think it must be so amazing and awesome to travel so, it sucks not to have a home. We said home is where are too, but really you still crave a home. I can't wait to stop having one foot out the door. I am now beyond pissed at a few and so, I have a sinus infection and a house to go close with the SO and a wedding to plan to really close my distance legally and permanently after running from the visa for last 9 solid months and yet still keeping an eye on limits and budget......so peace out for a while kids, because I don't feel like you are respecting my experience or knowledge on the subject meant to provide sincere advice to the OP.
            Last edited by Hollandia; October 1, 2014, 02:59 PM.
            "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I am relatively sure that when the OP first posted about this in another thread, her profile showed her age as 18. Just 18. I think everyone is taking this way too seriously and emotionally. What I say may upset some of our younger members here, and yes, I KNOW your great grandma married your great grandpa at 14, they had 17 kids and lived happily ever after, and I also know there are exceptions to the rules, but guys, I hope we all know that when we're talking about a couple of teenagers, we probably aren't talking about a "for Life" scenario Let's face it, most of those relationships aren't the ones you stick with for life, statistically they will eventually break up (Sorry OP, no offense intended). We've all seen teens come on here and talk about forever, and The One, then post the breakup thread within a few weeks. That's normal, and no big deal, even though at that moment they FEEL the undying love that was meant to be I'm not mocking it or criticizing that, it's just how it usually is!

These aren't kids looking at biological clock issues, careers, settling down, or a home. They're just two kids in love and on a grand adventure together, so let 'em have it. Eventually, they'll probably go their separate ways, but they'll always remember the months they spend wandering the world together. When the OP is 84, and sitting on a rocking chair knitting booties for her great grand babies, she'll remember this time in her life and smile, it's a once in a lifetime experience. We shouldn't be arguing over it, everyone's advice is pretty valid, but I don't think we can compare here situation to what full adults would do, it's an extremely different situation. We can tell her how someone managed to get from place to place to avoid visa issues, or where a great hostel or restaurant is, and to be careful just in case one of them does decide to get a visa and move, but keep the thread in context. Their goals and aspirations are probably very different than many of ours, and right now they just want to figure out how to keep being together in this moment.

Most of us are pretty decently traveled, and can all provide something helpful to them, but provide advice geared toward where they are in life, that's all I'm saying. Vacationing is not the same as what they're doing, neither is moving, they're doing their own thing.
              Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Hollandia View Post
                2 whole weeks? OMG , you are such the expert, I stand corrected.
                I think this went over the line of good forum behaviour.
                I know you have strong opinions and make them known to others and have a hard time seeing things from another's perspective.

I think Moon said it best.

Let's live and let live. Not everybody has to live their life the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
                  I am relatively sure that when the OP first posted about this in another thread, her profile showed her age as 18. Just 18. I think everyone is taking this way too seriously and emotionally. What I say may upset some of our younger members here, and yes, I KNOW your great grandma married your great grandpa at 14, they had 17 kids and lived happily ever after, and I also know there are exceptions to the rules, but guys, I hope we all know that when we're talking about a couple of teenagers, we probably aren't talking about a "for Life" scenario Let's face it, most of those relationships aren't the ones you stick with for life, statistically they will eventually break up (Sorry OP, no offense intended). We've all seen teens come on here and talk about forever, and The One, then post the breakup thread within a few weeks. That's normal, and no big deal, even though at that moment they FEEL the undying love that was meant to be I'm not mocking it or criticizing that, it's just how it usually is!

These aren't kids looking at biological clock issues, careers, settling down, or a home. They're just two kids in love and on a grand adventure together, so let 'em have it. Eventually, they'll probably go their separate ways, but they'll always remember the months they spend wandering the world together. When the OP is 84, and sitting on a rocking chair knitting booties for her great grand babies, she'll remember this time in her life and smile, it's a once in a lifetime experience. We shouldn't be arguing over it, everyone's advice is pretty valid, but I don't think we can compare here situation to what full adults would do, it's an extremely different situation. We can tell her how someone managed to get from place to place to avoid visa issues, or where a great hostel or restaurant is, and to be careful just in case one of them does decide to get a visa and move, but keep the thread in context. Their goals and aspirations are probably very different than many of ours, and right now they just want to figure out how to keep being together in this moment.

Most of us are pretty decently traveled, and can all provide something helpful to them, but provide advice geared toward where they are in life, that's all I'm saying. Vacationing is not the same as what they're doing, neither is moving, they're doing their own thing.
                  Hear, hear! You put it perfectly, Moon.
                  On another note, I would just like to add that this forum should be about support. I know that people have different opinions, and we won't always get along with each other, but what's with all the name calling and verbal abuse these days, guys? Aren't we supposed to be there for each other in support of LDRs?

Comment

I looked up their blog and she doesn't look 18. She does look at least 20. I joined this community for support, but I guess since I'm in a teenage relationship Ill only get judgement. I completely support them even though I do worry as another human being about their decisions. I hope they have an amazing, unforgettable journey together.

Comment

Originally posted by Marmalade View Post
                      I looked up their blog and she doesn't look 18. She does look at least 20. I joined this community for support, but I guess since I'm in a teenage relationship Ill only get judgement. I completely support them even though I do worry as another human being about their decisions. I hope they have an amazing, unforgettable journey together.
                      Oh please If you actually read what I wrote without the chip on your shoulder, you might have understood it. Way to go with adding to the drama.
                      Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Oh please If you actually read what I wrote without the chip on your shoulder, you might have understood it. Way to go with adding to the drama.
                        I was not attempting to. I apologize if you thought I was. I understand what you meant, but I can still feel judged because I am young.

Comment

Originally posted by Marmalade View Post
                          I was not attempting to. I apologize if you thought I was. I understand what you meant, but I can still feel judged because I am young.
                          Nobody is judging your age here, you're far from the only 18 year old on this forum. You will meet people here from many different stages in life, and at least for me, the advice I give does tailor to that. I wouldn't tell you the exact same thing I'd tell a 14 year old, or a 30 year old, or a 45 year old. Nobody here really cares if you're 18, but they might give you different advice based on it, that isn't judging, it's trying to help you with relevance, there is a difference. If the OP was past her mid-20's, I'd never have said what I did, she'd have been past the time where she can pull of the nomad life.

Just remember, everybody here was 18 once, there are great advantages to being that young. Nobody is judging you for it here, or not taking you seriously.

Comment

Nobody is judging your age here, you're far from the only 18 year old on this forum. You will meet people here from many different stages in life, and at least for me, the advice I give does tailor to that. I wouldn't tell you the exact same thing I'd tell a 14 year old, or a 30 year old, or a 45 year old. Nobody here really cares if you're 18, but they might give you different advice based on it, that isn't judging, it's trying to help you with relevance, there is a difference. If the OP was past her mid-20's, I'd never have said what I did, she'd have been past the time where she can pull of the nomad life.

Just remember, everybody here was 18 once, there are great advantages to being that young. Nobody is judging you for it here, or not taking you seriously.
                            And I thank you all for that, truly I do. Again, sorry if you thought I was trying to add drama.

Comment

- removed -
                              Last edited by Michelle; October 1, 2014, 10:07 PM. Reason: Removed

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
                              Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
                              Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X