SO Depressed. I'm lonely.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SO Depressed. I'm lonely.

Forgive me for the lengthy post. Please bear with me!

My SO is a good man. He's always treated me well. He's been a bit immature at times or been just a tad flakey. But he's good to me. And when we connect it's always lovely. He's been patient with my shortcomings and I with his. I understand that, A. I'm a girl, and B. I'm way better at communicating and I'm all over messaging him, since the beginning, while he takes a more relaxed approach. Although, when I bring things up after just a bit of encouragement to share, he is so good at opening up and talking to me. We've met twice, I went to New Zealand first (had a WONDERFUL time) and he came here to Los Angeles just last month (had some challenges, but worked through them). Things have been well overall in the last few weeks since he's been gone. But things are getting harder. He walked out on his job about two weeks ago, a job he'd only had for a little bit, a job he got after being out of work for a year. He's always down on himself, he dropped out of school as teenager and has had trouble getting and keeping jobs as a result. So even though he made a conscious decision to quit his job (he was miserable), he's feeling depressed. He lives with his family and all of a sudden it seems two of his siblings may be on the road to marriage. And now he's feeling depressed about all the changes and I think loneliness his home environment will now feel. I don't think it's anything to do with him not being married, though in these hard times, he feels especially distant from me. Since he quit his job and began beating himself up about being a loser, no money, no job, not ready for marriage, etc, he's been steadily withdrawing from me. He stood me up one day and again tonight. We planned this at the beginning of the week and to be fair, we took a few days off from each other, mostly to give him some no pressure time to get his thoughts and goals straightened out, so maybe he forgot? I messaged early this afternoon, but appears to not have seen them. I'm always there for him ALWAYS. Have I left myself open to being taken for granted because he knows I'll always be there, forgiving him for not being there when he said he would? Is it wrong to even say that because he's depressed and not taking me for granted at all? Am I being selfish by thinking only of myself when he's going through such a hard time? He knows I love him. I think this is likely a case of him not loving himself, so he's limited in the love he can feel for me and show me. I love him so much. But I don't know what to do right now at this low point in our relationship. I think if we were married would I start feeling like giving up on us? No way! So maybe it's wrong to feel those doubts now. After all, I've felt ready to marry him already. I'm at a loss.

Sorry to hear about the issues that your SO is going through, being stood up is never nice but I think with the obvious depression he is suffering from you should not beat him up about it, or yourself for that matter.

Hopefully you will be able to get him to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and he most likely will be taking your love for granted right now, he needs everything he can take to fill the void - Having gone through depression so deep I was going to commit suicide until some-one I was having cybersex with at the time (who vanished out my life once I got on the straight an narrow again) force me to promise they would talk to me the next day, and she kept it up until I no longer needed to make that promise.

an LDR with some-one with depression must be even harder than in a CD one as you will surely be feeling helpless, but just be there, offer kind words and in time he will come out of it.

try to point him towards some counselling in a gentle fashion or if he won't do that to seek some help elsewhere.

Good luck, it sounds like you have got some tough times ahead

Comment

I hope he can get some proffesional help on the depression. There might be ressurces online if he is shy to see a doctor. Good luck.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Has he considered going back to school? He might enjoy it now and he would get a little more experience which will help get a job. It's hard to watch them bring themselves down, but when you can't cheer him up then he needs to get some help. There may be nothing mentally wrong, but talking it out may help him. I hope things get better.

Comment

It sounds like he's struggling with depression, to the point that he isn't able to cope appropriately with it any longer. For his own sake, as well as your relationship's, I would strongly encourage him to start counseling. If he isn't willing to see a therapist or find some other way to cope, I would be cautious about moving forward.

(With all due respect to Marmalade, I don't think returning to school is a good idea at this time. Maybe he does need to reassess his career path to find something he enjoys more, but I wouldn't start on that until he has a good handle on his depression.)
          In all the world there is no heart for me like yours.
          In all the world there is no love for you like mine.
          -- Maya Angelou

Comment

Food for thought :

Ask yourself if at this stage in your life you want a partner who cannot hold down a job for any reasonable length of time. Can you continue to respect a man who has such little self confidence? Are you willing to be the main provider for your household if you close the distance?

These are important questions because he has had a history of not being able to keep a job. Don't expect this to change anytime soon if at all. You are in your 30's so I assume he's in a similar age range? This is HIS problem to fix and not yours. He will forever have this problem until HE decides how to change that.

I suggest you let the relationship run its course. His depression/joblessness will be a perpetual cycle until he does something about it. You are his girlfriend and not his therapist. It might sound noble to stick around and help him because you want to be a good girlfriend - while you wallow in misery hoping that he will change. Accept that this is who he is and decide if this is what you want your future to look like.

I might sound harsh/cold, but sometimes reality is just that - harsh/cold.
            Last edited by Petals; October 25, 2014, 10:59 PM.
            Met Online : July 2013
            Met in person : April - May 2014 (3 wks)
            2nd visit : June - August 2014 (2 months)
            3rd visit : December - Jan (2wks)
            Proposal : December 2014
            Closed distance : February 2015
            Married : April 5, 2015

Comment

Originally posted by rhabdoviridae View Post
              It sounds like he's struggling with depression, to the point that he isn't able to cope appropriately with it any longer. For his own sake, as well as your relationship's, I would strongly encourage him to start counseling. If he isn't willing to see a therapist or find some other way to cope, I would be cautious about moving forward.

(With all due respect to Marmalade, I don't think returning to school is a good idea at this time. Maybe he does need to reassess his career path to find something he enjoys more, but I wouldn't start on that until he has a good handle on his depression.)
              That's what I meant. Probably should of been clearer, sorry.

Comment

I also agree with the others who are saying he is dealing with depression. I feel like, if he intends to move forward in his life, he needs to seek out professional help. There's no shame in it, and I feel like he would benefit greatly from it. He's only going to change on his terms, though, so if he doesn't want to change, it's not going to happen.
                I feel like I'm basically reiterating what Petals said, but it's true (or at least, it was for me).

You can always be the love and support he wants, but don't feel like you're obligated to stay if it starts impacting your health. I had an ex who was struggling with depression, but he wouldn't get help for it. It began to get very stressful for me, because he started to use me as a crutch. Eventually, it got to the point where he was using me as a scapegoat for why his behavior had been getting increasingly worse, and why he was suddenly isolating himself from his friends. That's when I cut off the relationship, thereby removing his crutch. I basically gave him a wake up call, and now he's in therapy. Although I cared, and although I wanted to be there for him, he needed to get better on his own and it wasn't worth getting dragged down with him. It isn't always selfish to put yourself first.

I feel like you've been getting some pretty sound advice. If you aren't ready to give in just yet, then don't. Be there for him to remind him that he's loved, and he's not a loser or anything like that. Remind him of all the wonderful qualities he has. Encourage him to seek help, and be patient. If you feel like it's getting to be too much for you, then you are absolutely allowed to leave. You aren't obligated to stay, and there's no shame in self-preservation. Besides, you can always continue to be his friend. I remained friends with my ex for a while in order to be more of a casual support system as opposed to the doting sort of girlfriend.

Best of luck to you both!

Comment

Thank you everyone for your advice, it was all meaningful and helpful. I've just received a message from him and he's breaking up with me. I think I'm in shock. I have no tears. Yet.

Comment

So sorry for you Starjasmin.

Comment

I am sad it came to this. Best wishes
                      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Oh no! Im shocked for you

Comment

Originally posted by Starjasmin View Post
                          Thank you everyone for your advice, it was all meaningful and helpful. I've just received a message from him and he's breaking up with me. I think I'm in shock. I have no tears. Yet.
                          It's a shock and you are sad...this is normal! Let yourself grieve but though you may not see it now - he is doing you a FAVOR.

He knows your needs and knows he cannot meet them long-term so he has chosen to walk away - to save you. Don't question it; accept it!

I'm sorry that you are hurting but I'm happy that he is honest enough to not bring you down with him or use you as crutch.

A better suited man is out there waiting for you.
                          Met Online : July 2013
                          Met in person : April - May 2014 (3 wks)
                          2nd visit : June - August 2014 (2 months)
                          3rd visit : December - Jan (2wks)
                          Proposal : December 2014
                          Closed distance : February 2015
                          Married : April 5, 2015

Comment

Sorry to hear this
                            *hug*

Take care of yourself.

Comment

Hang in there, better days ahead
                              In all the world there is no heart for me like yours.
                              In all the world there is no love for you like mine.
                              -- Maya Angelou

Comment

Working...
                              X