Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comfort eating and LDR?

I just had a small epiphany recently.
    I've been putting on weight during the last year or so, because of my eating habbits and exercise habbits (or lack of).
    I've never considered myself a comfort eater before and if I was seriously depressed I would more likely not eat at all and lose weight.

When I am with my so I hardly think about food (or especially deserts, chocolate, cake etc). I think if we spent a month together I could lose weight
    But when we are apart and I'm bored/lonely I find myself stuffing my face with chocolate, crisps, ice cream....or even just food or bread.
    And it is starting to show

I have NO self control
    In June I succesfully did the 30 day ab challenge and started to see results and was really excited about it.
    Last year (2013) I tried my best to go to the gym/zumba. (Need to get a new gym membership, it ran out in March)
    I'm a lazy pig.

I do a lot of comfort eating, but because of my quick metabolism it rarely puts on - which is annoying because everyone assumes I'm 'ill' or something. But, saying that I have started to see that I'm not so much under weight (due to an illness in 2010 my weight plummeted to 5.5stone, and I've been trying to get back to 8 stone every since) and I'm starting to 'fill out' (is that the right term?) nicely so for me, comfort eating is a little blessing as it's helping me gain weight.

I only do it when I'm feeling super anxious about the distance, and sometimes I just need to nibble on cookies/food to keep my mind from going loopy xD

Comment

I don't comfort food eat much. I used to have an eating disorder many years ago, so I am very concious of using food for emotional things. I have also had physical problems with food, I put on weight because of digestion problems and I have lost weight because of the same thing. I have to follod a diet for my gut, so there are lots of comfort foods I can't have, like Norwegian milk chocolate. I try to find food that I like that I also need, like I usually eat a lot of eggs. And I make deals with myself, like I was a child (a lot of us who are on medical diets do this), like: now you can have this dark chocolate because later people will have dessert and you can't have any. So I am sometimes a little obsessed with food, but I don't use it for that end. I actually make more cakes, desserts etc. when with SO, because we love to cook and eat together.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I didn't use to be a comfort eater, but this happens to me every time. When I'm with my SO, it's very difficult to get things like chocolate, crisps and cake. So I can't eat them. At the end of every visit I think to myself: "That's not too bad. I could live without this stuff. I'm used to not eating it now." Those thoughts get thrown out the window just a few hours later in the plane. When they serve chocolate mousse or almond butter cake, I'm all over that
        Crying and stuffing my face with dessert.. I must be a lovely sight. Although sobbing would worse
        I try to limit it again after some time, but during the first few weeks of being apart again, I just let it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by JaneEmily View Post
          I do a lot of comfort eating, but because of my quick metabolism it rarely puts on -
          I could get away with that when I was younger. I could eat what I wanted and exercise (or not) and still stay slim.
          But I guess now being in my thirties it's not like that anymore. Stupid metabolism slowing down

And ofcourse THIS has to be the advert next to Abnas message in this thread LOL

Edit: and now it's in mine, so I have two!
          Last edited by Ahava; October 30, 2014, 08:30 AM.

Comment

I do a lot of comfort eating too, but unlike you I eat more when I'm with my SO, because I let my inhibitions loose and indulge. Food plays a big role for us. It doesn't help either that he has the metabolism of a humming bird so there's always lots of food around. I did the lemon detox for a week back in August which was great, I didn't feel hungry at all, but I really missed the taste of food.

My metabolism is healthy in the way that when I eat a lot I gain weight and when I eat less I lose weight. I'd say I'm an average size which is a blessing since I should be twice as big considering my appetite. I guess the good thing is among all the sugars and fats I love I also eat lots of fish, fruit and vegetables so I suppose that helps me keep the balance, more or less.

I can't be arsed with exercise. I know that's an unhealthy attitude but I just hate every single workout I ever tried, it makes me miserable... with the exception of swimming. A lot of my friends have taken up to jogging, I suppose that's a 30s thing, training for marathons and such... I hate running of any kind.

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

Oh man- I been putting on some weight too! I've been an emotional stress comfort eater all my life though ._. I tried turning my life around about a year ago and I lost about 70lbs, but gained back 23lbs fast during a difficult time this year with school and my boyfriend. Now that things seem okay with him and school, I'm trying to get back on track- I've lost 10lbs so far but have stayed the same weight for about two months now. I think I'm pretty happy at this weight, not like before when I was obsessed with being thin. I eat what I want and just exercise at the gym a few times a week.
              Well, we're one of those couples who never met yet, so I don't know what my eating habits will be when I'm with him. I just know that my boyfriend LOVES to eat. So I'll probably eating a lot with him regardless LOL. Problem is he is fit and has that fast metabolism while I gain weight by just breathing in the smell of McDonalds -.-

Comment

i know exactly what you mean, I've put on so much weight since i met my SO it's crazy. i think it's mostly because i am a bit of a loner and only really go out to go to my classes (i prefer to be alone but i have a friend who comes around to see me twice a week so i'm not completely isolating myself) but since i don't really go out and am super busy with course work i don't feel the need to go out and exercise. it's totally weird because when i went to see my SO i barely ate since she doesn't eat much and her family were really concerned they weren't feeding me enough but yet i didn't even really want to eat. i mean thats probably because i was just so excited to finally be with her and constantly had stuff to do with her so it wasn't like when I'm bored at home. when i'm on my own i seem to be constantly snacking when i'm bored and it really isn't good i know.
                i just need to get out of the house more and stop buying so much junk food basically lol
                my girls <3

Josie (SO)
                Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
                Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
                Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
                Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
                Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
                Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
                Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
                All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

I eat a lot of snacks when I am not with him, mostly because we ALWAYS have some sweets at home whereas we have close to no sweets at his place to avoid temptations, but lucky for me I haven't gained weight from it yet!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                  First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                  Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                  Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                  Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                  Married: 1/24/2015
                  Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Ditto!
                    When I am with s/o, I find myself with lesser cravings. But once I'm home or after he leaves, cravings come back and I comfort eat.

But I have a small stomach, I eat about 5times a day in small portions. Metabolism works pretty fast that way, when I comfort eat, i usually skip a meal because I'm super full by then.

But I have always maintained my weight at around 89lbs. Recently I have lost weight to about 86 but I'm trying to fill out. Hopefully with the festive season I can gain them back

Comment

Originally posted by Ahava View Post
                      And ofcourse THIS has to be the advert next to Abnas message in this thread LOL

Edit: and now it's in mine, so I have two!
                      This ad is trying to tell us something LOL

Comment

Originally posted by abna1 View Post
                        This ad is trying to tell us something LOL
                        Yep

We do love to eat with my so (we both share a love for food and wine), but it's the cravings I don't have when I'm with him and also I don't feel that hungry or think about food.
                        He is sweet enough for me
                        He has a very different eating rythm to mine. He doesn't eat breakfast nor lunch. (He might have a snack or a small sandwich) and then he eats a proper dinner in the evening.

I really need to get a grip and start doing some exercise or eating more healthy (less goodies)!

Comment

Speaking of comfort food, me and my husband's little obsessions are salty liqurice as well as potato chips with spicy sour cream dip. There is a spicy, salty liqurice in Norway called "Turkish pepper", which is hilarious because Turks in general are mostly into sweet liqurice (I have never seen salty sold here) and sweet candy in general. Turks drink tea with chips, which at first I thought was hilarious but now I do it too. I introduced SO to chips with sour cream dip but he didn't like it. I start to wonder why we Norwegians put sour cream on anything... SO on the other hand has tried to introduce me to his favourite sticky grape candy, which is super sweet and a bit sickening. But I have actually started to like Turkish delight, so six months from now I probably think grape candy is delucious!
                          Last edited by differentcountries; October 31, 2014, 10:11 AM.
                          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Originally posted by differentcountries View Post
                            Speaking of comfort food, me and my husband's little obsessions are salty liqurice as well as potato chips with spicy sour cream dip. There is a spicy, salty liqurice in Norway called "Turkish pepper", which is hilarious because Turks in general are mostly into sweet liqurice (I have never seen salty sold here) and sweet candy in general. Turks drink tea with chips, which at first I thought was hilarious but now I do it too. I introduced SO to chips with sour cream dip but he didn't like it. I start to wonder why we Norwegians put sour cream on anything... SO on the other hand has tried to introduce me to his favourite sticky grape candy, which is super sweet and a bit sickening. But I have actually started to like Turkish delight, so six months from now I probably think grape candy is delucious!
                            The Turkish pepper candy is Finnish by Fazer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrkisk_Peber

People sometimes make liquor from them also.

My SO doesn't understand or like the salty liquorice (salmiakki) at all.
                            I've taken the kids Angry Birds sweets often and the black ones don't get eaten.

I was at a travel related expo the other week and Turkish airlines had turkish delight and something similar with coconut on their stand.
                            It's actually quite nice. Talking about things Turkish, a close friend of mine has a new boyfriend who is half Turkish (and half Finnish).
                            Last edited by Ahava; October 31, 2014, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Thanks god I am not a comfort eater, I would probably gained a lot of weight when I was in my previous relationship I found out that when I am stressed or sad, I don't eat at all - when I was in difficult period with my previous relationship, plus school stuff, plus family stuff etc., my mother had to literally push me to have at least one proper meal a day. Sure, it is very unhealthy, but at least I lost some weight But my current boyfriend awakened my passion for salty crisps, so I am afraid my weight will be back very soon -,-

Comment

Working...
                              X