Friends with issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friends with issues

I was just wondering if your friends are unsupportive of your LDRs because I find that 95% of mine are quite against the whole situation and I've actually lost a few of them because of their attitude towards it.
    For he is mine and I am his.
    Nothing beautiful is ever perfect.

It still amazes me in this day and age that some people can't seem to grasp the concept of a LDR. Unless your SO is being abusive, manipulative, etc (and that would go for a CD relationship too), there is no reason for them to be unsupportive. A LDR may not be for them, but to stop being friends with someone because they don't understand your relationship, well those are "friends" that you just don't need in your life.
    To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

No not at all. He treats me like a princess =) I think they are jelous and don't want to see me happy, which means they weren't friends anyway.
      For he is mine and I am his.
      Nothing beautiful is ever perfect.

Comment

I only keep friends that are supportive of the things I do, so no I don't.

Comment

I find that most people changed around the time we had been together a year. Now they treat it like a serious relationship wheras before people were a bit like, oh well we will see how it goes.

Actually, I am a bit glad that not everyone was over the moon about SO because everything I felt just came from me, regardless of them. Also, I know they were just trying to look after me. They know I have been hurt in the past so they want proof he is really into this /me. I was the same when my friend entered an international LD with someone I had not met. I feel it is very important that my friends meet him, which is why I hope his visa goes through.
          Last edited by differentcountries; November 20, 2014, 04:45 AM.
          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I still haven't told anyone, I'm afraid of judging, is it that bad to support?

Comment

I've only had one friend that was truly supportive since she had been in a LDR herself, but most of my friends don't quite "understand" the situation I guess. They're not mean about it but I think they just don't understand the situation and don't really know what to think, so I usually don't talk to them about it.

Comment

I have a few really good friends and they are totally supportive of my LDR. So I think I can be really thankful for my friends

Comment

I have very few friends, but a large number of acquaintances, all my friends have said they will be sad to see me relocate, but want me to be happy.

I get almost no 'support' from them or my family, but apart from my Dad who really struggled (and still does) with the idea of me leaving, none of them have been judgemental

Comment

I haven't had any issues, but maybe it's because he lives in NY (my hometown), and we see each other no less than every two weeks, mostly every week. Usually people just ask how it works and which one of us is moving!
                    sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

I have friends who are supportive, I also have friends who say I have to get a 'serious' boyfriend.
                      My parents and brother think it's awesome .
                      Me,I just want to be happy and I am. I try not to care about what other people say or think.

Comment

i don't have a support system either. my family will not discuss it with me and i don't dare tell my friends

Comment

I'll be blunt and say that if you truly have to fear the reactions of your friends to something that makes you happy, you should reconsider those friendships!

Most of my friends support me and are happy for me, and the ones that are more wary just fear that I'll get hurt or that it will be too much for me. They just urge me to be cautious, some of them even because they had LDRs themselves that failed. But all of my friends trust me, so none of them give me crap for something as harmless as relationship that happens to be mostly conducted online.

Your friends should be people who you can always count on to support you. They shoudn't be yes-men who always agree with you, but a basic level of respect and care should be mandatory for a friendship. If your friends truly scoff at what makes you happy, they got the issue, not you.

~
                          It'll take a lot more than words and guns
                          A whole lot more than riches and muscle
                          The hands of the many must join as one
                          And together we'll cross the river

Comment

Surprisingly my friends I've mentioned it to are supportive. Telling me not to give up. A few others just that LDR are hard.

It is just people from yahoo answers/around the Web that tell me I am wasting my time and I am an idiot.

Don't let others tell you how to feel. Best advice I've been given is do what makes you happy. I even had a friend tell me that If I love my vacuum and want to marry it I can and it doesn't t matter what other people think about it.

Comment

ive have some friends that are really happy for me. weirdly enough the people I considered my best freinds before kind of reacted unsupoortive and unbelieving in the sense of "its never gonna work out anyway." they are also really unsupportive of the thought of me moving away eventually... although me moving to sweden was something i always thought about doing anyway, with my boyfriend not even in the picture. they aren't openly direspectful and at least kind of pretend to be happy for me. which is nice I guess, but i can tell from their reactiuoans that they arent into it.

It led to me re evaluating my friendships. It brought me much closer to some people that I realise now are great friends and away from some that mainly are friends for me being there FOR THEM, and I've taken a step back from those people. I still like them and enjoy being close to them, but thats all.

That being said, I dont usually go around telling people "hey I have a boyfriend now." I'll answer trutrhfully when asked, but thats all. Even towards my family. My mum knows, but the rest of them dont, mainly because they are in general really unintrested in my life and what goes on in it. I'm pretty detached from them, which makes me sad, but I kind of just deal with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X