No announcement yet.

Friends with issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a very small group of friends, and we're all super supportive of each other. Also, most of my friends have done long distance to some degree before/are currently doing long distance, so they understand where I'm coming from. I feel like dating in college tends to lead to long distance relationships, if only temporary distance. Even if my friends don't have the experience, and they don't really understand it, they're still supportive of me. My one friend commented that dating internationally just sorta struck her as something I would do, so she wasn't all that surprised when one of my souvenirs from London was a boyfriend.

My family is also surprisingly very supportive. My sister and her husband are in the military, so she understands how relationships can work across long distances. My parents were very unsure at first, because they're my parents and they worry. They warmed up to the idea when I reminded them that my s/o and I actually hung out in person multiple times while in London before we even expressed interest, they got to actually talk to him over skype, and also he's done super sweet things for me. They still don't really understand it, but they're receptive to it and look forward to meeting him in person.

It's really important to have a support system in general. If you find there are people in your life being unreasonably unsupportive, it's really worth it to remove them from your life.

Comment

All the friend I made through SO is very supportive. That is different because they see us together often, some each month. It is easier when you see it for yourself! My husband has always been supportive and he is the one I talk about the relationship with my SO the most.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I do get some UNwelcomed comments ("why can't you find someone in town", "why doesn't he move you to where he is", "I would never have an LDR", "that's a waste of time"...etc) and such about my relationship, but I honestly don't give a damn what anyone else thinks or says. I set them straight and move on. An EXfriend of mine said some really nasty things about my relationship and it was hurtful as I have always supported her. I have learned what I can and cannot discuss with certain people. I don't talk about my situation much, but I do get support from the few that I choose to discuss it with.

Everyone does/says things in relationships that others won't. Everyone tolerates different things in their relationships. I don't meddle in other people's relationships and expect them to stay out of mine.
        Love is patient and kind. It does not envy or boast; is not proud, rude or self-seeking. Love is not easily angered and keeps no record of wrongs. It does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

~*~Love never fails~*~ 1 Corinthians 13

Comment

Working...
        X