90 day fiancé

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CynicalQuixotic View Post
    This show is my ultimate, horrible, shameful guilty pleasure. I LOVE IT. I mean, I hate it, but I love it. A certain member on here that I will not name as to keep her reputation untarnished and I keep a running commentary by Facebook message.

I love/hate 90 day fiance.

It obviously doesn't give a very accurate picture of the whole visa process, but you can't really expect that from a TLC reality show. And honestly: Who would want to watch people fill out forms, go to medical check ups, etc?
    It does make LDRs and the whole immigration process look fairly bad. But I can't think of anything or anyone that

But as far as reality shows are concerned the show is extremely entertaining. The people are usually in a good enough position for me to be able to make fun of them, without feeling too bad.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

This seems like the kind of thing I'll put on as white noise and to roll my eyes at while drawing. I do that a lot with Gordon Ramsay shows, too, and enjoy the obvious scripting, editing and cheap roles they impose on people. This sounds awful, and that's precisely why I think I'll check it out. I love terrible movies, too, so I think I'm just a masochist.

~
      It'll take a lot more than words and guns
      A whole lot more than riches and muscle
      The hands of the many must join as one
      And together we'll cross the river

Comment

I started watching this show thanks to you guys and season 2 is a true nightmare.
        It feels like they chose these couples for dramatic flare. There are too many red flags and obvious mis-matched in almost all of the couples that the show feels too scripted at this point.

and how obnoxious is Danny's father. I am in a inter-racial relationship myself and his comments about "Inter-racial marriage is not accepted in the US" is just a over-exaggerated, ignorant comment.
        The couples this season is really getting on my nerves. The only one i like is Amy really, she is so sweet and patient.

Comment

I watched it and I hate it. It'll just make people hate legal immigrants as much as they hate illegal immigrants :/

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
          First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
          Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
          Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
          Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
          Married: 1/24/2015
          Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Okay, so I watch this show sometimes.. I get the feeling that we just never see the whole picture (duh). Like the whole interracial thing that came up with Danny's dad and Amy's family, I couldn't quite buy it (it's still on youtube). I mean, it wrapped up awfully neatly when they all just chatted over food and jokes for a couple hours. Racism resolved! The clips of Danny's dad and mom talking about the whole conflict, I feel like his mom had a funny, knowing look on her face, whenever the dad would say something ridiculous. Maybe I'm seeing something that wasn't there, or maybe I just want to believe Danny's dad just has a funny sense of humour and TLC cut out all the laughs. Like the producers were like, "man, this country bumpkin family is gold! let's make 'em sound as racist as everyone expects". That's my theory and I'm sticking with it.

@CQ, I died at "Real Diamonds Only Please".

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

I don't watch any of these types of shows. A guy I grew up with works on the camera crew for the shows and they are all scripted, edited, etc. They really are for entertainment purposes only.
              To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

I am hooked on this show! The last episode i watched was Amy and Danielle's wedding, Amy i LOVE and Danielle....not so much. I think Danielle is a great person and she cares so much about her kids and Mohammed but i don't believe Mohammed is in it for the same reasons. Even if he is, i don't see the connection between them. Amy and Danny are adorable. At first i was not impressed with Danny's family but the last episode showed me that they are opening up to the idea of Amy and Danny being together which made me really happy. The "sex torch" cracked me up!

I really like Evelyn and Justin, but i think his family is treating him horribly (Besides his mum). I was mortified by the way that his sister in law was reacting. I understand, from personal experience, that sometimes LDR's are not accepted. but that does not give her a right to be so rude to him.

Do you think this show gives a positive outlook on LDR's or a negative one? Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianGirl View Post
                  I just want to believe Danny's dad just has a funny sense of humour and TLC cut out all the laughs. Like the producers were like, "man, this country bumpkin family is gold! let's make 'em sound as racist as everyone expects". That's my theory and I'm sticking with it.
                  And you're pretty much guaranteed to be right. These shows are always scripted and edited to get people to fit a certain mold. They are "reality" only in the loosest sense of the word. You can enjoy them while still being aware of that. I have a soft spot for trashy entertainment sometimes, as said, so I think I'll take a look at this. I won't expect any sort of quality, though. TLC really needs to stop calling itself "The Learning Channel", because it has pretty much nothing to do with education. You definitely won't learn anything about real LDRs on a show like 90 Days Fiance, for example.
                  Last edited by Miasmata; December 17, 2014, 02:05 PM.

~
                  It'll take a lot more than words and guns
                  A whole lot more than riches and muscle
                  The hands of the many must join as one
                  And together we'll cross the river

Comment

I'M ADDICTED TO THE SHOW OMFG I LOVE IT!!!! Some of the people I want to slap, though. Season 2 is the better season of the two. I LOVE Chelsea and Yamir. They make me cry. I adore Kirlyam from the first season, too. It is my not-so-guilty pleasure. ^.^*

Comment

Originally posted by jamidee View Post
                      Do you think this show gives a positive outlook on LDR's or a negative one? Thoughts?
                      Scipted or not, it goes to show the difference between the outlooks from the couple themselves, who had maybe not that time togehther but are conviced they have a future, and the sceptical family and friends, who sees the person for the first time AS they are starting marriage preperations. It is really a lot of preassure on all of them.

I think if possible, it is better for both the persons to see each other's countries and families/friends, so they know where the other person is coming from and that makes for a better choice on where they will live and how they will live together. I suppose many of them tried that route but couldn't, it is a pity the show rarely adresses that or any details about the regulations.

The show gives an even outlook on people in LDRs, some of us are sweet, some of us more annoying, some may be into it mainly for money/green card/hope of a better life but most of us do it because we are in love and long to close the distance somewhere.
                      Last edited by differentcountries; December 27, 2014, 11:24 PM.
                      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Originally posted by jamidee View Post
                        I think it gives none whatsoever. They concentrate on how hard it is to integrate into the American culture for the fiance/es and hardly ever even comment about LDRs. You hear how they have met, how many times they have visited each other but that is about it, which is also why it seems like these people are only here to get a greencard. If they focused more on how hard it is to be apart and scramble money together while following all your responsibilities, how hard it is to take time off from work to be with your SO for just a couple days, maybe then it would be more than just "look at all these foreign people coming to this country on this super easy to get visa". *yuck*

Comment

Well, I like it. I don't think it is that far fetched. I have also been told by close and caring friends that SO is only after money or a ticket to the Western world. It may seem like a parody, but reality is a lot like that sometimes. In fact, my polyamorous friends have been the worst, maybe because they are all very educated and a little snobbish perhaps, and they don't see why I would fall for a waiter on holiday. Suddenly everyone knows someone who married a Turk and was apperently ripped of their money. It would be great if a show focused more on the LDR, in this show the LDR part is more brushed upon since it is about visa period. We do get to see the couple mostly as their family and friends in the US sees them, which is interesting. Because that is what all of us must realate to - all the people who haven't seen neither the hard time apart or the beautiful moments on visits, and are naturally spectical to a person they don't know very well if at all.
                          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

My sister was complaining about it in a list of Reality Shows That Are Why The World Sucks but I convinced her tat it's not glorifying something else stupid like the reat of them (Besides the people on it :/) cause some countries (HERE INCLUDED) literally give a 90 day fiance visa.
                            Met: Apr 2013
                            Mutual interest: July 2013
                            Relationship Began: November 6 2013
                            First Visit (Her to Me): July 4 2014
                            Second Visit (Me to Her): Jan/Feb 2015 Postponed due to sister having baby
                            Second Visit! (Her to Me again): June 16 2015 - July 4 2015
                            Engaged: June 29 2015 <3
                            Third Visit: (Her to me, working on it) January 19 2016 - February 2 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Dwessie View Post
                              My sister was complaining about it in a list of Reality Shows That Are Why The World Sucks but I convinced her tat it's not glorifying something else stupid like the reat of them (Besides the people on it :/) cause some countries (HERE INCLUDED) literally give a 90 day fiance visa.
                              *shrug* I am with her.

Comment

This show is one of my guilty pleasures as well. I just finished watching season 2. All of those couples had some fucked up element going on... it was great.

Comment

Working...
                                X