No announcement yet.

Embarrassed by your LDR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hid the details of my relationship for the first few years because we had not yet met and I was afraid of judgement. It wasn't that I was fully embarrassed by my LDR, but I was pretty sure the people I know would get a laugh out of it being all online. It also did not help that we met on a pokemon forum, but we don't tell many people that. I feel now that we met and are engaged, it's much more real and I'm not at all embarrassed.
    Met Online: 2009-10
    Started Talking: Jan 25, 2011
    Relationship Started: June 25, 2011
    First Meeting: June 9, 2014
    Engaged: June 12, 2014
    Second Visit and Road Trip: Sep 3, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by angelvee View Post
      I hid the details of my relationship for the first few years because we had not yet met and I was afraid of judgement. It wasn't that I was fully embarrassed by my LDR, but I was pretty sure the people I know would get a laugh out of it being all online. It also did not help that we met on a pokemon forum, but we don't tell many people that. I feel now that we met and are engaged, it's much more real and I'm not at all embarrassed.

Haha, I seriously lol'd at "pokemon forum". I am such a big dork and just adore nerd love <3 =P
      Last edited by FloridaLovesChicago; December 2, 2014, 10:08 PM.
      "I ran to him. I dropped my luggage and ran to him. My heart melted in my chest as I wrapped my arms around his neck. I could feel him. I could kiss him. I could smell him. He was real. He was here. He is mine."

He could be a million miles away...and still be worth every single mile <3

We met in 2012
      We became a couple in April 2014
      Our lips first met August 8, 2014
      Our beautiful 2nd visit was November 2014
      Hoping to visit again for a New Years kiss
      We'll spend my birthday and Valentines day in each other's arms <3 - Feb 2015
      Our "spring break" in March 2015
      Summer fun - June 2015
      DISNEY WORLD!!! Sept 2015

LOVE > DISTANCE
      QUALITY > CONVENIENCE

Comment

I only get embarrassed if I have to elaborate more than we met online, people don't need to know how nerdy we are.

Notes:
        Met: 8.17.09
        Started Dating: 8.20.09
        First Met: 10.2.10
        Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Sorry I haven't read all the answers (lazy me), just wanted to say that I believe that meeting on the internet and especially on a dating site (which I am also guilty off) used to have a stigma (like can't you find anyone in real life? Is there something wrong with you?), but at least I think that's a bit passé. Everybody does it now.
          I'd rather meet someone over the net and get to know them sober than meet someone in a bar.

Comment

I'm in no way embarassed of my relationship, but we both agreed in the beginning of it (when I was 16) not to tell people the real story. We met on an online dating site which I had joined just to check it out and find new friends (a friend said it was a great site), and telling my parents and close family that story would probably not have been recieved well. Just like Ahava is saying, I think there's (sadly) still some stigma surrounding it. We do tell people we met online though, but we say that it was through a mutual friend.

Met online: February 2011
            Met the first time: August 16, 2011

Comment

I have never felt the need to hide or lie about how we met online, we met on a dating site and I knew my family and friends would be supportive and understand.

I have never had to worry about my family judging our relationship they have been supportive right from day one, usually it is just the friends I don't see often that have thought it is strange or the people who are against online dating or meeting that way.

I know I am the happiness woman in the universe since I met my fiance and I couldn't be any happier than I am, he is my soul mate and we are meant to be together, we are looking forward to everything in our future together. I wouldn't change it for the world how we met and I believe in destiny.

I am proud of our relationship and I have never felt ashamed or worried or any of those negative things at all, I don't like if people judge, but at the end of the day they don't understand those people and I should just ignore them

I admit I used to think meeting on a dating site is not safe or dumb, but now I have completely changed my mind lol
              Last edited by vicks5721; December 3, 2014, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Right on!! To start with, in the tech world we live in, what do people really expect to happen??.. I am proud that I met my husband on a page I was an admin for because right off the bat, we had a million things in common!! Very shortly after, we actually started running the page together, and still do!! I dont tell people anything other than the truth.. If they think its weird, or "unnatural" as his "Christian" parents still like to say, we say, to us, its the most natural thing in the world!! These forums are giving people a chance to get to know each other before just jumping in..(The sack included) I actually feel that this is sending us back to a time when couples were friends first, and fell in love... And I think thats BEAUTIFUL!!!

Comment

That is soooo funny!! Nothing wrong with the face shooting n screaming obscenities!! Thanks, you made me smile!!
                  Originally posted by FloridaLovesChicago View Post
                  I guess I just expect people to be more accepting of it. Especially nowadays where it's so common to meet someone online, etc. But I do realize people are judgmental of things they do not understand so if they haven't been through it, I can see them being negative. I'm just a very accepting person I suppose, and I have a hard time with people not being the same way. All I know is that I wouldn't trade my relationship for anything, and I've never been more excited for my future than I am now. Because he's in it. Even if we did meet shooting people in the face, online, while probably screaming obscenities at our televisions

Comment

Originally posted by Sora1101 View Post
                    I only get embarrassed if I have to elaborate more than we met online, people don't need to know how nerdy we are.
                    I think a lot of us must be!! LOLZ Its great, nerd love!! <3

Comment

At first I was more embarrassed because of the 5 year age gap and that we started dating when she was 17... (She is very mature for her age and has lived like 30 years of life experience, and my state and her province have 17 as the age of consent soo....) but anymore now that she's 18 I have realized that lots of people are very cool with age gaps, cause they always have that relative in a really crazy one!

Either way, we met on tumblr, and my Sister is in an LDR and they met through the Homestuck fandom My parents were always cool with us in our LDRs once they saw how happy we were, though dad has asked me a few times how it even works.
                      Met: Apr 2013
                      Mutual interest: July 2013
                      Relationship Began: November 6 2013
                      First Visit (Her to Me): July 4 2014
                      Second Visit (Me to Her): Jan/Feb 2015 Postponed due to sister having baby
                      Second Visit! (Her to Me again): June 16 2015 - July 4 2015
                      Engaged: June 29 2015 <3
                      Third Visit: (Her to me, working on it) January 19 2016 - February 2 2016

Comment

At first I was more embarrassed because of the 5 year age gap and that we started dating when she was 17... (She is very mature for her age and has lived like 30 years of life experience, and my state and her province have 17 as the age of consent soo....) but anymore now that she's 18 I have realized that lots of people are very cool with age gaps, cause they always have that relative in a really crazy one!

Either way, we met on tumblr, and my Sister is in an LDR and they met through the Homestuck fandom My parents were always cool with us in our LDRs once they saw how happy we were, though dad has asked me a few times how it even works.
                        Met: Apr 2013
                        Mutual interest: July 2013
                        Relationship Began: November 6 2013
                        First Visit (Her to Me): July 4 2014
                        Second Visit (Me to Her): Jan/Feb 2015 Postponed due to sister having baby
                        Second Visit! (Her to Me again): June 16 2015 - July 4 2015
                        Engaged: June 29 2015 <3
                        Third Visit: (Her to me, working on it) January 19 2016 - February 2 2016

Comment

Working...
                        X