Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pressure to "Seal the Deal" (Not About Sex lol)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pressure to "Seal the Deal" (Not About Sex lol)

My boyfriend and I have been dating since November 2013 (a little over a year). His family lives the floor above mine and my family's, and ever since he started working in Albany (2008), he's been commuting here every weekend and coming back home on Sunday. We're very committed to each other and talk about everything openly, including our future together. I know that we've never had a typical relationship in the sense that we haven't spent a decent amount of time together enough to know each other's daily habits and annoyances and all that. So people might say "You guys have been together for so long, more than a year!", but a year spent only seeing each other once a week is very different from a year spent living together.

Another thing that's important here is my boyfriend's personality. He's laid-back (and I mean super laid-back). He's a very calm, introverted beta male, who needs a lot of time to himself, doesn't call or text very often, and just doesn't profess his love constantly. Also, he works as a computer programmer, which is pretty taxing, so he needs a lot of downtime for that as well.

My main problem now is the pressure. My mom, his grandma, my therapist, my coworkers, even my supervisor are constantly asking me about what we plan to do, and why isn't he actively looking for a job in Brooklyn, and how long I'm planning to wait for him. It's driving me crazy because I want to live in the moment and enjoy being with my boyfriend. Everyone is like "You're 28, what are you waiting for? You need to get married and have kids before it's too late!" As if when you reach a certain age, the Heavenly Gates close and you can never have children after that. I know most of my peers are having kids now, but I don't even want to; it's too soon. I don't need 3 AM feedings, diapers, pediatrician's appointments, and play dates right now, when I'm still freaking living with my parents.

My boyfriend is very comfortable in his job because it's a state job and has good benefits. He wants to find something in Brooklyn, but it took him almost a year to find a better apartment in Albany, that's how inert he is. I'm not rushing him, but it's the pressure that's making me impatient. My boyfriend recently moved to his new apartment and says he wants me to visit him, just so we can see how we live together. I think that's a good baby step to take forward because I can't go from seeing him once a week to getting engaged. So what can I do in this situation?

As long as the two of you are happy with how your relationship is going and where you are at this point in time, that's all that matters. For the people that keep bugging you, when they voice their opinions, tell them you appreciate their concern but that the two of you have it under control and you no longer wish to discuss the matter. Give them the same exact response every single time they bring it up. Unfortunately you can't stop them from saying it but if you just keep shutting them down, maybe they will back off some. Good luck.
    To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

When people ask just pat them on the arm and say "thanks for your concern". Then walk away or end the conversation. That, or tell them to f@&$k off. That works too!
      sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

I had a friend tell me after I broke up with my ex that I was "no spring chicken" (I was 32) and that I needed to get a move on to find the guy so I could start popping out kids. I'll admit. It hurt my feelings.

Fact of the matter is we all do things in our own time, for our own reasons, and in our best interests. I wouldn't want her life with four kids who are four years old and under while she's going to school, working full time, and juggling taking care of a husband who frankly should be pitching in more.

Politely tell them to piss off. It's your personal life, your body, your business. You'll get there if and when you want.
        "Sometimes you just have to let art flow over you."

Comment

Well, it is true that there is a window for kids. But no specific date. At 35 i have no kids and I still plan to get some! Tell them they are nice to care so much and that you are moving forward with the relationship in your own pace
          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Tea View Post
            My boyfriend and I have been dating since November 2013 (a little over a year). His family lives the floor above mine and my family's, and ever since he started working in Albany (2008), he's been commuting here every weekend and coming back home on Sunday. We're very committed to each other and talk about everything openly, including our future together. I know that we've never had a typical relationship in the sense that we haven't spent a decent amount of time together enough to know each other's daily habits and annoyances and all that. So people might say "You guys have been together for so long, more than a year!", but a year spent only seeing each other once a week is very different from a year spent living together.

Another thing that's important here is my boyfriend's personality. He's laid-back (and I mean super laid-back). He's a very calm, introverted beta male, who needs a lot of time to himself, doesn't call or text very often, and just doesn't profess his love constantly. Also, he works as a computer programmer, which is pretty taxing, so he needs a lot of downtime for that as well.

My main problem now is the pressure. My mom, his grandma, my therapist, my coworkers, even my supervisor are constantly asking me about what we plan to do, and why isn't he actively looking for a job in Brooklyn, and how long I'm planning to wait for him. It's driving me crazy because I want to live in the moment and enjoy being with my boyfriend. Everyone is like "You're 28, what are you waiting for? You need to get married and have kids before it's too late!" As if when you reach a certain age, the Heavenly Gates close and you can never have children after that. I know most of my peers are having kids now, but I don't even want to; it's too soon. I don't need 3 AM feedings, diapers, pediatrician's appointments, and play dates right now, when I'm still freaking living with my parents.

My boyfriend is very comfortable in his job because it's a state job and has good benefits. He wants to find something in Brooklyn, but it took him almost a year to find a better apartment in Albany, that's how inert he is. I'm not rushing him, but it's the pressure that's making me impatient. My boyfriend recently moved to his new apartment and says he wants me to visit him, just so we can see how we live together. I think that's a good baby step to take forward because I can't go from seeing him once a week to getting engaged. So what can I do in this situation?
            People commenting on other people's childless-ness/options to have children is one of the rudest and most inconsidering things ever. I don't understand how people think it's ok say that. Apart from the fact the not everyone wants or needs to have children, it can be so hurtful to even mention it. What if you were unable to have children?

Anyway, like the others said. The only opinions that matter are yours and your SO's. If you're happy with your relationship, then don't let others pressure you.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Tell them to wake up and smell the soddin' flowers. Not everyone wants to take their relationship to the next level at your age. Who cares what they think? If you're happy, they should be happy for you, not acting like harpies.

Comment

Screw them. Seriously. If you guys are happy where you're at, there's no need to rush things. People are getting married and having kids later and later in their lives. I think the average age to get married is late 20's - mid 30's now. Hell, my brother just got married last year and he was 37. It's really not a big deal anymore for our generation like it was for our parents/grandparents.

Comment

Eh, maybe get a new therapist? No one should be pressuring you but then, I definitely know what that feels like. I think some of the other posters gave great advice. Sounds like you and your SO are on a good track. Just tell them either that it's none of their concern or that you're both working toward that next step and don't want to make any decisions that might hurt your finances/careers later. Him having a government job is awesome and neither of you should uproot just yet to satisfy outside opinions.
                  When two hearts are meant for each other, no distance is too far,
                  no time is too long, and no other love can break them apart.

Comment

Thanks, guys! I decided that being in a long-distance relationship is stressful enough without taking all that crap from people. I can't be rude to my supervisor when she meddles in my life, so henceforth, I'll say "Thanks for your concern, but everything is fine." Everyone is obsessed with my love life, like I'm Kim Kardashian or something.

Comment

Thanks, guys! I decided that being in a long-distance relationship is stressful enough without taking all that crap from people. I can't be rude to my supervisor when she meddles in my life, so henceforth, I'll say "Thanks for your concern, but everything is fine." Everyone is obsessed with my love life, like I'm Kim Kardashian or something.
                      I can so relate to this! Just ignore them, they'll soon move on to something else.

Comment

LDR's are fascinating to those who have never been in one for some reason, lol!!

Comment

People who are not used to looking past their horizon either get really weirded out or fascinated by new things. Sometimes both. Exhausting to be treated like a zoo exhibit sometimes, huh?

~
                          It'll take a lot more than words and guns
                          A whole lot more than riches and muscle
                          The hands of the many must join as one
                          And together we'll cross the river

Comment

Working...
                          X