Dating a Divorced Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dating a Divorced Man

Hello, first post here! Hopefully I will not be judged too harshly...

A couple of years ago, I worked with someone who was funny, charming, wildly attractive, and just overall a great person. However, he was married, and I wasn't about to actively pursue or mess with a married man. However I will admit we both flirted with each other and I remember us spending a lot of time talking at work. None of the interactions or conversations were inappropriate, but we both had a crush on each other.

A year after that, I moved. We kept in contact through text/social media but it was very platonic, very irregular and he would only ask me questions related to our career. Fast forward another year to now. A few weeks ago we started talking though texting/social media again. I found he had gotten a divorce a few months back (the cause was not his fault), but ever since we've been talking daily. Our conversations have been great and quite deep already. And, believe it or not, I'm already going to see him in less than a month! I'm a bit scared things will be awkward at first, but I feel like even after 2 years of not seeing him we will have a great time. We are not in any sort of official relationship right now, but I do hope things will go that way (although I have kept in mind thing may not work out). If things do work out, it will be difficult because of the distance, but in the end it may be worth it.

Well, that's the background. Now to my concerns.

His divorce happened 6 months ago, which is still quite recent in my book. I fear being compared to his ex... I fear his ex coming back to get at me... I fear old co-workers will have wrong opinions... I fear he isn't ready. I fear we will go too far too fast and things will blow up in our face. Perhaps I should just take things one day at a time. Would love some advice on dating a divorced man and on LDR especially (although this isn't my first one... before this I was in another one with someone from a different country... that I never met. Obviously didn't work and I told myself no more LDRs.. oops!).

Any comments or advice is very welcome. Also very interested to hear similar stories if they are out there!
    Last edited by Wish; October 10, 2015, 03:55 PM.

I'm twice divorced (not a guy though!), and while 6 months is pretty recent, it may be just fine. Marriages are all different, and depending on his individual circumstances, he may be mentally free, but you should take it very slow, with your eyes wide open for a while. As far as being compared with his ex, well that happens regardless if you were married or not Everybody compares to some degree. I can't promise you you won't get hurt, betrayed, or mistreated, that can happen in any type of relationship. Any new relationship has some aspect of risk to it, so go slow and see where it goes. Don't tell your old co-workers for a while either, see if there's something being worth talked about for first. Dating a divorced man doesn't have to be scary, especially when it sounds like he doesn't even have kids. At this point in your like, most guys you date will have ex's, even if they're just girlfriends, so it's not a really big deal. Good luck.
    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Thank you Moon! He seems to be over it for the most part, but you never know for sure what's going through someone's head. He seems honest so I of course have no reason not to trust him at this point. I don't think I'll mention it to anyone for a while, or at least if/until we're acting in a relationship. Definitely will be keeping my eyes wide open though.

Comment

Working...
      X