Not feeling like a priority.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not feeling like a priority.

GeeHoweverI'm having a hard time with my boyfriendwas new at the moment...

I kinda feel like it's the same old song and dance, but here goes. My boyfexternalriend moved from a very large city to a city much smaller. He moved with his parents, as he did not have the funds nor job means to live on his own. He has since managed to snag a job in a vape store, as he was a hobbyiest vaper, and is now steps away from being the manager of the place - we hope this will mean a good enough pay increase to get his ducks in order and be able to live independently on his own, get his own car, etc.

However, since moving to this new city, he has clearly began to stagnate. He was used to living in a very large, bustling city with lots of external stimuli, things to do, places to see, etc. He could keep himself entertained, whether with people or by himself. He was a person who talked about a lot of things, showed interest in a lot of things, and was a vibrant personality.

Since moving, however, that all changed. As he was new to the area, he was friendless, but working in a vape store caused him to make friends with people who are also hardcore hobbyist vapers. His life has become vape-centric, and he spends all of his time at the store (he works almost 7 days a week), and when he's not at the store or when he just gets off, he spends all his time until 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning with these vape friends he's met... mostly one in particular who he isn't super fond of, but says he spends time with the most because he's the closest and it's "something to do." He can't converse about anything unless it's vape-related. Essentially, his life IS vaping.

He's complained to me that he hates this - he loves vaping but hates working in the industry. He complains that he doesn't like how all he hears about is vaping from the people he knows, and he wants more, but he's having a hard time finding other venues to make friends. It's killing his passion for his hobby, but this is his best opportunity fora good paying job, so he keeps with it. He also complains about the city in which he lives, saying that he is incredibly bored with it, with life, fed up with everything, and is more or less showing textbook signs of situational depression.

This is why he can't stay alone by himself - he has to keep himself busy because he's going mad where he is. It's why he puts up with the monotony his vape friends bring to the table because at least it's something to do.

The problem is that in all this desperation to keep himself so busy that he forgets where he is... He also frequently forgets me. I don't expect him to call me every night, but I've asked him of he could make it a priority to call me at least three nights a week. I'll ask of he can call, he'll say yes, but then he sometimes (sometimes not) ends up staying out too late and I have to go to sleep if I don't want to be a zombie the next day. Or he'll come home and fall asleep. In other words, he only keeps his promise if it's convenient to him.

While I'm trying to be patient because I understand how bad he's emotionally hurting, and I know what emotional pain does to a person (clinical depression here) I still find myself oftentimes hurt by the lack of a priority I feel that I have, and that I am forced to wait around for him to make his decision to call, hopefully at a decent hour. Some weeks are better than others, some aren't so good.

I miss my old boyfriend - I miss his spark and fire and his curiosity and quick wit that wasn't bogged down by depression. I miss him being able to converse about anything and everything - he seems not to be able to understand how to talk about anything besides vaping now. (The very thing he complains about in his friends.) I feel like he wants so much more but is in the worst rut I've ever seen him in. And I miss when I didn't feel like I was left in the dark.

I want to do everything to be there for him but I don't know what to do guys. He's not a naturally depressed individual - I don't know if he knows how to handle this.

He's a big boy and he needs to act like it. Even in a small town, he should be capable of finding other people to meet and doing other things. Saying it's not possible and just hanging out with the vaping group is easier for him than actually putting effort into something else. He sounds like my ex who would always complain about his situations but then absolutely not effort into changing them. You can't complain about something in your life that is something you can change - put the energy and effort you are using to complain into finding ways and doing things to change it.

As far as his time with you - have you put it to him like you have us? What you are asking for is not unreasonable. He needs to realize that you are a part of his life too. If he can't or won't then you have to decide if you can live with the "new" him until he can get himself back on track or if this is something you can't live with.
    To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

He is a big boy who recently went from living at home giving you lots of attention and not working at all, to being in charge of his new workplace. It is understandable that his head is filled with work. The New him is working and one step close to getting his own home. You complaining about the lack of attention doesnt really seem appropriate. Give it time. I have dealt with getting just once a week calls from my working seven days a week boyfriend. And of course he only talks about his job, and hanging out with just people from work. He is changing jobs these days, your bf just got his job. Be happy he is working. I cant understand why this situation reads like depression to you. He seems on the surface the most constructive in years! With actually making money, he will get a place where you will visit and so on. Ok, so he is a little absorbed at the moment. But a lot of people are fun to hang around when they have no job and just spare time, however that is not an adult life, that is the life of a teen. If you want him to direct more attention to you, at least first praise the positive changes he made in his life.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Ummm. DC.. Did you read the whole post ? She is not asking for much at all, and her SO seems a bit is depressed
        She is asking for time from him and having him keep his promises. I think you were a bit harsh and not totally understanding the situation..
        Last edited by sasad; October 11, 2015, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Yeah I think I need to clarify some things:

In essence... yes this is the most constructive he's been in a while when it comes to jobs and finances, and I have praised him for how far he's come, but he's reiterated time and time again that he's not happy where he works and how his life is centered around this vaper culture but he feels stuck in it because that's how the cards fell. He's constructive but not happy.

It's lead to him stagnating and being able to literally only talk about vape-related things because that's all he knows right now, despite he complains about his friends doing the same thing - and he's become a lot more angry and irritable a lot more easily (not necessarily to me but in general) and that's why I said I feel he is suffering from situational depression.

He can't stay by himself - he says he gets bored and starts going crazy and it's lead to him to going to see friends almost every night after work as a form of routine distraction (he's admitted this).

I DO NOT mind this - I understand that he has little time to himself after work and I let him spend it as he wishes.

The issue is... he'll hang with them for HOURS at the end of the day. And even if he's promised to talk to me at a reasonable hour, which he has every opportunity to do because even if he left his friend's place early to talk to me, he'd still have had time to see them, he sometimes completely dismisses the promise he's made just to hang out with them longer.

If he told me ahead of time that he'd be late, and that he'd might not be able to talk, I don't get upset - like I said, all I'm asking is three nights a week. I'm his girlfriend and have been for over four years, so I don't think it's a sin asking for that when the only reason he isn't calling me is because he's hanging out at a friend's place... whom he hangs out with every night.

Comment

How long ago was the move? It does sound like it was a big change, and he may very well be experiencing a definite funk.

It sounds like his issues have nothing to do with you at all. I know that is sometimes the hardest thing to hear - when something has nothing to do with you, but affects you: hence, not feeling like a priority. He's going through a period of change and he's got to figure out his own way to navigate it. It sucks. Be open with him about how you're feeling and talk about what would make both of you feel better during this time. If his depression starts lasting months and months and you get really worried about him, maybe encourage him to talk to someone who can help him work through it.

Comment

Originally posted by ChloChlo View Post
              How long ago was the move? It does sound like it was a big change, and he may very well be experiencing a definite funk.

It sounds like his issues have nothing to do with you at all. I know that is sometimes the hardest thing to hear - when something has nothing to do with you, but affects you: hence, not feeling like a priority. He's going through a period of change and he's got to figure out his own way to navigate it. It sucks. Be open with him about how you're feeling and talk about what would make both of you feel better during this time. If his depression starts lasting months and months and you get really worried about him, maybe encourage him to talk to someone who can help him work through it.
              Thank you. And it's been exactly a year as of this month. So yeah it's been a while.

Comment

I quit smoking and I vape, I don't spend all my time in a vape club or with vape friends. He's there because he wants to be. I hate to say, but it sounds like he could have found a closer interest in this new community. I don't buy, he is just hanging with buddies and ditching his girl because he is busy. He can get a smartphone and skype while out if he wants too, I used to do that with my SO. He can pick up a pre-pay smart phone if he does not have contract. Vaping while out? And drinking? They just vape? If he is miserable in his job then he should build a new resume and keep looking for a new job. Cards fall, cards suck sometimes. One day life is one thing and the next it is different. You can't move ahead if you don't do something about it besides feeling sorry for yourself and make rationalizations for partying every night. It's been a year, time to make positive steps towards what he wants in life. He could be taking an online class instead of vaping all night. Then in a year he might get a job back where he lived before, or better. Let's face, vaping is just what you do while hanging out. It's not like a book club or cooking class. Vaping is just smoking without the smoke, you do other stuff while doing it. If he has tobacco or nicotine in his,(I don't) it is also not healthy to vape all night.

He went from devoted to obligated. If you feel like more of an obligation than a true love, you probably are. Get it out in the open, you don't deserve this. If he does not feel the same or found another person he also has interest in, you should know, ask him.

Relationships move forward, they stagnate or they die. If they go backwards, most likely they are already done and neither was willing to pull the band aid off yet. I am sorry for your pain. You don't do this to someone you love for a year. Depressed people don't usually go hang out nightly and socialize. It sounds like you do mind about his actions and you are making excuses for him. What about your feelings?
                Last edited by Hollandia; October 12, 2015, 08:30 AM.
                "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Totally agree with Hollandia. A year is a very long time to feel forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Secrecy View Post
                    Thank you. And it's been exactly a year as of this month. So yeah it's been a while.
                    A year is too long a time! A year should be more than enough to adjust. If he wants better/different friends than he has, it is not really a problem of yours - nothing you can do about that long distance. Really, none of the things you complain about is your responabiliy, but his alone to fix.

Depressed people do lots of things. While some may shrivle up and try to act as if they don't exist, some may become hyper-active or agressive. On the other hand, he may try to find his way without it being exactly a mental issue. Sadly, for you it does not make much of a difference; his behaviour is what it is.

If he suffers from a depression or other mental issues, it is fair to ask him to seek help for it. He works and still lives at home, so I imagine he can afford treatment. If you state your ground firmly - "this is what I need in a relationship" - it might become a wakeup call for him and install some change. If not, then I can't imagine why you would want to continue the relationship.
                    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

He would rather hang out with someone else he does even like that much instead of her ?????????

I can't get over that and that does not sound like depression at all, it sounds like a choice. Why is not hanging out with his true love online as good as vaping with some other person to have something just to do? In relationships you should choose your person because you want to, not vaping with some other person for a year. If he did have depression then yes, he should be getting help for it. What do his parents say about this? Does she speak with them? Being depressed does not make it okay to hurt someone else either, these days it is like a catchphrase trendy excuse. I say this as someone who fights depression. If you are at the point where you hurt people for it, you could also be a danger to yourself. If this is him being depressed for a year, then should she just accept his depression causes him to treat her like poop and accept it?

I am going to ask again? What are they doing while vaping? Are they gaming? Are they drinking? Are they talking? Is this person a girl or guy? Are they attractive? A year is a long time to hang out every night. You get close, so how close are these people? Why does he not include her with them? All it takes is Skype. Is she his GF or just his online GF? There is a difference. A GF is someone in a LDR who the online is an obstacle to overcome to be with. An online GF is a type of relationship you deem it to be and treat accordingly.

My SO had school, work, and nightly dinner with his parents, due to him being broke, when we were LDR. He still made a point to spend time with me daily, and if he missed me, I woke up to a message on my skype from him. Her SO is in Canada not Antarctica and this is 2015, there is always a way to keep connected if you want to. He does not do it because he does not want to.

Does he know how much he is hurting her? I suggest she get it all out there. How she feels, how he feels, what is going on with these all night long vape sessions, what is he willing to do to change this, or is he not? Then she can make up her mind how to handle all this. It is not okay the way it is, and I have read sooooo many times of people being "depressed, busy, tired" and de-prioritizing a SO, only to break it off later because they were no longer as vested and found it easier to just let it ride out since it was only "online" to them.
                      "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I'm going to make this quick as I can since I am at work:

1. They're all guys. Who it is changes on and off. It's usually at least one of the same guys, and the rest just come and go and they usually hang out at his friend's house.

2. They may have some drinks, but it's not like they are getting drunk every night.

Comment

Originally posted by Secrecy View Post
                          I'm going to make this quick as I can since I am at work:

1. They're all guys. Who it is changes on and off. It's usually at least one of the same guys, and the rest just come and go and they usually hang out at his friend's house.

2. They may have some drinks, but it's not like they are getting drunk every night.
                          So, he sits around and vapes with them everyday rather than talk to you? Do you guys ever do stuff online ? Like watch movies and play games? How is your quality time and is this something you can just live with if it never changes? Is a future together in CD something you see?
                          Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Damn... What Hollandia said! Especially about making excuses for other peeps and by using a catch all phrase.
                            Last edited by sasad; October 13, 2015, 11:15 AM.

Comment

I had to ask my SO what vaping meant since I have no clue.. And from what he told me, it didn't sound at all good. Hollandia's given you solid thoughts and advice, OP. This guy just sounds like he's gonna keep on hurting you no matter what you try to do to resolve this.

Comment

Working...
                              X