Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you help us out with some research on catfishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you help us out with some research on catfishing?

Dear member

We have been given permission to post a survey on this forum. We are doing some research to try and better understand why people might misrepresent aspects of themselves in an online romantic context (behaviour which has come to be known as 'catfishing'); this may be from a previous relationship or experience. If you have ever misrepresented yourself to someone online (for example using someone else's photos and pretending they are you, or exaggerating aspects of your lifestyle) we would be really interested in hearing your views. Please follow the link below to participate in an anonymous survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FRDBK6Y

Best wishes

Shazna Begum and Dr Chris Fullwood
    University of Wolverhampton
    Last edited by shaz94; February 16, 2016, 10:34 AM.

Lol

I have never(and will never) do that. So, When I tried to do the survey, it said I wasn't qualified.

First Visit: September 2016
    Second Visit: January 2017 (Her birthday)
    Third Visit: June 2018 (medical conference near her home)

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world. That he gave his only begotten son. For whosoever believeth in him. Shall not perish but have eternal life
    John 4:12
    I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Comment

^^Same.

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
      Married April 18th, 2015!!
      Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

You do not meet the eligibility criteria to participate in this study. Thank you for your time.
        This survey is for people who have actually catfished people.

Comment

Lol, what a joke.

Comment

We are doing some research to try and better understand why people might misrepresent aspects of themselves in an online romantic context (behaviour which has come to be known as 'catfishing'

Because they have no confidence, because they are bored, because they are lonely or because they are freaks?

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn26 View Post
              We are doing some research to try and better understand why people might misrepresent aspects of themselves in an online romantic context (behaviour which has come to be known as 'catfishing'

Because they have no confidence, because they are bored, because they are lonely or because they are freaks?
              These are definitely some reasons. There is revenge. MTV has a whole series which you can watch and gain insight.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2498968/
              To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

To be fair, it clearly says here that they are looking for people who have lied online.....

Originally posted by shaz94 View Post
                If you have ever misrepresented yourself to someone online (for example using someone else's photos and pretending they are you, or exaggerating aspects of your lifestyle) we would be really interested in hearing your views.
                I actually think it's a really interesting piece of research (not that I've ever engaged in 'catfishing' but I think it's more common than we'd like to think), I looked up the poster and it is legitimate https://www.wlv.ac.uk/research/resea...n/#d.en.268433

I do find the whole way someone's persona can change when they get behind a keyboard fascinating. Trolling is another area, people get a sense of security when behind the keyboard and say things they would never dream of in person to someone. In school, the issues we're having to deal with in terms of bullying have really gone quite nasty in terms of cyberbullying and as a parent it worries me too.

Comment

Originally posted by R&R View Post
                  These are definitely some reasons. There is revenge. MTV has a whole series which you can watch and gain insight.

Yup... I have watched this.... some people like the control.. some people like to have someone fall in love and think the other will forgive them all because of love... It is an interesting topic TBH

Comment

I've seen that series too. Having been catfished myself, I hope it brings light to others and helps prevent others from falling into the same sort of trap.

Comment

Good luck with your research! I appreciate that this poster is a) legitimate and b) asked for permission before posting.

Comment

Hi all,

Yes this research specifically looks at people who have been catfished and those who have misrepresented themselves online (for example using a fake ID online and pretending to be someone else). So therefore those who have never misrepresented themselves online or have never been catfished by others are not qualified to take part in this survey. But we appreciate those wanting to take part.

As some of you mentioned, the possible reasons why people may catfish is because they have no confidence or simply because they are bored, and there may be also other factors that we are unaware of, which we hope to find out. We really appreciate the feedback we have been regarding this study and hope to bring insight and help others with similar experiences.
                        Last edited by shaz94; February 18, 2016, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Good luck with your data, sounds interesting. I hope you'll come back and post the results.
                          Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by R&R View Post

Yes I've seen this, have you seen the movie Catfish that the to series is a spin off of? Great movie. It really stuck with me.

When I first started talking to SO we used to joke about it, he said once that I had better not be some big fat man living in a trailer park lol!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X