Ever get tired of partner during visit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever get tired of partner during visit?

Just a general question. Have you ever visited a partner for a week or longer and felt overwhelmed or wanted to be alone?

Originally posted by NewToLongDistance2016 View Post
    Just a general question. Have you ever visited a partner for a week or longer and felt overwhelmed or wanted to be alone?
    Not me.

First Visit: September 2016
    Second Visit: January 2017 (Her birthday)
    Third Visit: June 2018 (medical conference near her home)

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world. That he gave his only begotten son. For whosoever believeth in him. Shall not perish but have eternal life
    John 4:12
    I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Comment

Yes. Could be leas than a week. I'm not used to big with someone all the time. When we are together I feel like we should be in some sort of physical contact all the time. Also speaking another language can get tiring. It's not bad tired when we are together it's more like a new situation tired. We meet up 8 times a year and have for 5 years and it still feels like this.

Comment

Whilst I haven't met my SO quite yet in person, we've had a couple of occasions where he's been off work for a week, and we've spent a lot of time Skyping with each other. Usually, by the end of the week, he and I have gotten on each other's nerves at least once :P I'm used to spending a lot of my time alone, so for me, it gets on my nerves after awhile even if it's nice having him around. But I know we'd get on well in RL because we practically live in each other's lives anyway, so... yeah. I think we could easily make it work.

Comment

This hasn't happened to us, probably because we don't see each other that often and so we really appreciate the time we have together. I'm sure once we're together more there will be times when we both need space just because we're both quite independent people who like hiding away from the rest of the world.

Comment

When I visit him, no, because he still works and puts in 10-14 hour work days. When he visits me, we are together the whole time usually and it can get a little wearing being around each other 24-7.
            To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

We spend up to 30 days at a time, and i dont think we get overwhelmed. On our first visit together, forr a week where i stayed with him, we set some ground rules about space. We both were used to out own time and space and i would go for walks/runs alone. Sometimes he goes shopping alone. Now that we are together per se, it's like we want to be together more. Probably because i drive 3 hours a day combined to/from work.

Comment

Personally, I have not gotten tired because of my partner but have gotten tired because of what I was doing with my partner, if that makes sense. Last visit was almost a month long and we were VERY busy visiting many locations in his country... there were several times when I HAD to have downtime or else I would crash. Downtime by myself, downtime with him, it didn't matter as long as I could sit in a room with peace and quiet.

If I'm feeling overwhelmed in general, I take some down time and nap.

If you're not already familiar with it, look up Introverts and Extroverts. Introverts need alone time to feel replenished and gather themselves, where as Extroverts gain their energy by socializing. There is far more to it than that, but that is a simple explanation. Now, its not all black and white... most people have qualities of both and it can/will change throughout your life.

I'm an introvert so really need some quiet time. My boyfriend is a major extrovert, but he understands the personality differences and respects it.

Comment

I think it happened to my husband when I visited him, but all we had to do was lay down some ground rules. Something like "When I come home from work, I need to unwind for a little bit." or "When I want to work on XYZ, I prefer to be alone" or "When we wake up, please for the love of God wait until I talk to you, I am not a morning person and you will be greeted with the wrath of my grumpiness if you get this chipper with me in the morning".

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                  First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                  Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                  Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                  Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                  Married: 1/24/2015
                  Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Happened to me and my bf. He came over for 3 months to look for job while living with me. I have tiniest apartment, had some school and work, and he wasn't getting any luck with job search. After a month we had tense situation- tiny space, always together, little privacy, and frustration that he can't find a job.

So in a way I never got tired of him, but of the situation we were in, but it didn't matter as I would just project it on him. Now we know what we did wrong, and I believe it made us stronger and showed that we need more privacy that we thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Freebird View Post
                      Personally, I have not gotten tired because of my partner but have gotten tired because of what I was doing with my partner, if that makes sense. Last visit was almost a month long and we were VERY busy visiting many locations in his country... there were several times when I HAD to have downtime or else I would crash. Downtime by myself, downtime with him, it didn't matter as long as I could sit in a room with peace and quiet.

If I'm feeling overwhelmed in general, I take some down time and nap.

If you're not already familiar with it, look up Introverts and Extroverts. Introverts need alone time to feel replenished and gather themselves, where as Extroverts gain their energy by socializing. There is far more to it than that, but that is a simple explanation. Now, its not all black and white... most people have qualities of both and it can/will change throughout your life.

I'm an introvert so really need some quiet time. My boyfriend is a major extrovert, but he understands the personality differences and respects it.
                      At 1st it hurt a lot to hear that he was overwhelmed, but im picking up that he is an introvert, plus he was sick for almost half the trip, so stuck inside.

Comment

Originally posted by NewToLongDistance2016 View Post
                        At 1st it hurt a lot to hear that he was overwhelmed, but im picking up that he is an introvert, plus he was sick for almost half the trip, so stuck inside.
                        You definitely shouldn't feel hurt that he was overwhelmed, it's very easy to feel overwhelmed when you're used to sending a lot of time alone and suddenly you're stuck with this one person for a long amount of time and can't have that time alone you're used to. I definitely struggled with it when i visited my SO, i remember there was this one day we spent just in the house and i was so overwhelmed with being stuck in this tiny bedroom room with her that i just cried and she felt horrible because she thought she'd done something. explained it to her and she was very understanding and wet to the living room to spend some time with her housemates so i could be alone and calm down a bit. That may have just been my anxiety and stuff acting up but i believe it's very very important in any sort of relationship or friendship even to have time apart and to be able to do things like sit on laptops and chill for a bit.
                        my girls <3

Josie (SO)
                        Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
                        Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
                        Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
                        Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
                        Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
                        Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
                        Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
                        All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

Originally posted by kittyxuchiha11 View Post
                          You definitely shouldn't feel hurt that he was overwhelmed, it's very easy to feel overwhelmed when you're used to sending a lot of time alone and suddenly you're stuck with this one person for a long amount of time and can't have that time alone you're used to. I definitely struggled with it when i visited my SO, i remember there was this one day we spent just in the house and i was so overwhelmed with being stuck in this tiny bedroom room with her that i just cried and she felt horrible because she thought she'd done something. explained it to her and she was very understanding and wet to the living room to spend some time with her housemates so i could be alone and calm down a bit. That may have just been my anxiety and stuff acting up but i believe it's very very important in any sort of relationship or friendship even to have time apart and to be able to do things like sit on laptops and chill for a bit.
                          Worst kind of typo
                          Don't mind me I should be sleeping.

Comment

Originally posted by kittyxuchiha11 View Post
                            I did work, but that time w out me was spent w my parents. I guess Im comfortable being w someone all the time. My ex and I spent everyday together, granted it didnt work out, but we were comfortable w each other. Plus he didnt have any of the stuff he enjoyed w him (he loves games lol), so maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by C.C. View Post
                              Worst kind of typo
                              Don't mind me I should be sleeping.
                              Well I mean, she could have been that too haha. This is why its important to proof read kids! :P
                              my girls <3

Josie (SO)
                              Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
                              Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
                              Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
                              Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
                              Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
                              Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
                              Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
                              All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

Working...
                              X