Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"I will always look into other girls" said my boyfriend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I will always look into other girls" said my boyfriend.

I had this conversation with my boyfriend on phone for 2 hours and now I feel so gratified.

He left work at 11pm today because they were running into loads of problems and were 6 hours late to deliver some data. He was tired when he got back home and we started to video chat from almost 12. We talked about when I could visit next month and he suddenly asked when I'd finish my study (which he definitely knows!).

I said I'd finish in another two years but I might consider going to Hong Kong in my last year if I could sort out the visa issue and convince my supervisor etc. Then I told him I'd tell my parents and the relationship might become "really serious" when they're involved, and that's when he said "I'm not here for a super serious relationship. If you tell your parents then everything would become super serious and they'd wonder when I'd ask the question. I'm just...not into that."

I was caught off guard and I asked what he meant. He then started to talk about how guys would always look into girls even they're having a perfect girlfriend or wife, and "that's what guys do and girls don't". I was more confused and asked if he's talking about himself, and he said "Yeah...I always looked into other girls, I enjoyed chasing other girls. I guess I'm just not the long term committed boyfriend kind of guy."

I was hurt for sure when I heard this, and I demanded further explanation. I asked if he's chasing someone now, and he was like "NO!!!", and I asked if he's spotted someone, and he was still like "NO!!!". I then asked if it's because of the distance and he's getting me "prepared" mentally, and he said he'd still look into other girls if we're in the same city.

I became really frustrated as I didn't understand why he brought this up out of nowhere-if he's not messing around with anyone. So I asked "Why are you telling me this all in a sudden? You know no girl will accept this and you don't want to see me looking into other guys, do you?" He said "I know, of course I don't want to see you with other guys. When I was younger I didn't have many girls, and that's why then I kind of felt that I should be with more girls. You're only with one guy and then me, I don't want to see you later realize that you want to experience more guys. I know it's very bad, but I enjoy the excitement of chasing other girls and I know I'll feel guilty if I do this to you."

I was totally surprised as my boyfriend never opened up for things like this before, so I asked him:"Do you feel that ever since you're with me, you're a better person? That you're not doing things you consider bad anymore?" And he said:"Yeah, and that's what really scares me. I want to let you know that I was a person like that, I always looked into other girls, but now I'm not, ever since we're together I haven't looked into any girls. I guess I'm a better person."

Then I told him that I believe a good relationship would always bring out the better part of ourselves. He agreed and said it's so nice that we had the conversation. Then we realized it's 2am his time and he needs to get up at 7:15am, so he went to bed.

Well, I guess me mentioning my parents just made him panic and his hidden "commitment issues" all came out. And that's why he started to call himself "not a long term committed boyfriend kind of guy" etc. He said at the beginning that his "looking into other girls" is nothing about intimacy and he never cheated in any relationships before. I think he's trying to tell me that he used to be a guy who flirted with other girls when in a relationship, even he knew it's bad, he couldn't stop himself from doing it. I'm so glad I asked at the end if he felt he's getting better since we're together and I'm so relieved when he told me he felt himself a better person now.

My boyfriend is not good at talking about his feelings (especially insecurities, like the possibilities of him going down the same road of flirting around or me realizing that I haven't been with "enough" guys) but he just opened up tonight. I really like how honest he is about things. I guess the perfect guy/girl may exist but they're so few, and the rest of us all have loads of flaws. I hope I also become a better person myself because of this relationship, I hope everyone does.
    Last edited by underthewater; September 21, 2010, 04:05 PM. Reason: Bad grammar

Personally, there's one part of his explanation I completely disagree with. You don't need to date tons of people just because he didn't have them before. That's just an excuse. You don't need to kiss a bunch of frogs when you've found a prince. Either you're interested enough in someone you want to marry them, or you're not interested in marrying just yet and you either want to a) get serious and have a serious relationship, or b) want to be a casual dater, if you're into the dating scene.

I hope this was a good opening up and not a red flag warning as to his future intentions.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

awwww well its good he has changed, me and Denise are defiantly not the same people we were when we first started talking to one another, i think it takes a very special person to come into your life and make you wanna change

Comment

I realise I'm slow and may have missed something, but there's something here that seems conflicting... he tells you he will always look into other girls... then later tells you he isn't. Uhm.. what?
        He either is and always will, or he isn't and the point is moot. So i don't get it. I read it twice to try and figure it out and yeah.. no. I apologise for being dense, but I can't see how this is a good thing at all.

It's great he's opening up to you and everything, but if my guy was worried about my family knowing he existed and that we had feelings for each other that would indicate to me that something's wrong. Especially if them knowing might be a deciding factor in whether we could spend a year together or not.

But then, I don't know what you're after from this relationship either. If your expectations are the same well that's great, no one's getting hurt

But overall, this kinda concerns me. >.>
        Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

^Hi, sorry I probably had some grammar mistakes...English is not my first language. I believe he said "I always looked into other girls".

The family thing is kind of complicated, in China once you reveal your partner to your parents, you're asking for approval to get married with him/her, at least this is the case in my family. Neither of us wants to get married in the coming few years, I personally will have to be very sure I'm marrying the right person to marry someone.

I guess the idea of "this person will be the last person I'm with and no more flirtation ever" kind of scares some people, especially if he used to flirt around and now he knows he'll screw up totally if he does. I made it very clear today on phone. I'd think sometimes myself "what if there's someone better out there?" I believe a lot of people do so.

Comment

That makes more sense And really I couldn't tell, your English is very good!
            I'm glad you're happy.
            Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Well I'm glad he's changed for the better, if he was interested in other girls while with you, it would show a lot of things. It's amazing how one person can change your outlook on life.

Comment

After reading your first post and then your add on, I'm glad you got to the root of why your SO freaked out when you mentioned you talking to your parents. It's best to get the problems out now rather than later and him opening up about his past flirting with other girls seemed to better your guys' relationship.
                I'm glad you two had this talk. Best of luck to you both =]

Comment

It's good that he has changed, he seems like he's become a better person through your relationship.

Comment

My bf and I also changed. I can mostly see it with him, not just when it comes to relationships but in general he has become more grown up.
                    Of course some people say they need a lot of partners to basically try whats out there on the market lol but its not with everyone like this
                    My bf had more girls before me than I had guys yet he and I dont need anymore tryin out. He did it with one girl (his ex) and he said so many times after it that he regrets it and that he shouldve waited for me from the start.
                    Im glad he opened up and I hope he'll keep that up cause its very important in a relationship

Comment

My bf and I also changed. I can mostly see it with him, not just when it comes to relationships but in general he has become more grown up.
                      Of course some people say they need a lot of partners to basically try whats out there on the market lol but its not with everyone like this
                      My bf had more girls before me than I had guys yet he and I dont need anymore tryin out. He did it with one girl (his ex) and he said so many times after it that he regrets it and that he shouldve waited for me from the start.
                      Im glad he opened up and I hope he'll keep that up cause its very important in a relationship

Comment

Change is good...and growing IN the relationship is wonderful.

I am very impressed with your English! You write incredibly well!
                        NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

Thanks everyone

It's just nice to see my boyfriend disclose his vulnerable side, talk about his insecurities and try to overcome his "nature" (he kind of believed that most guys would always look into other girls and it's just a guy thing). I have one serious relationship before him and I know a few very good guy friends, all of them have this or that issue, I've just never met a guy who's "perfect" or at least say "normal". I have my own problem from my childhood/family, etc, and I sometimes wonder if everyone is just like this. I think it's always better if we at least would like to admit its existence and talk about it when it bothers or concerns us.

Comment

Working...
                          X