Conflicting sleep schedules, but only 2 hour timezone difference :/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conflicting sleep schedules, but only 2 hour timezone difference :/

Things are kind of awkward with me and my boyfriend right now, and maybe it's contributing, but this is also something I've struggled with for a while: he's a total night owl and while I can be sometimes, there are nights he doesn't even sleep at all, he'll stay awake all night and then maybe take a nap at noon until 10 PM, whereas I can't get a bit of sleep so I end up crashing before he wakes up. I know we don't have to be talking constantly, and that I don't have to stay awake just because he is or whatnot, and I would never ask him to change although I've casually suggested he be careful about his sleep schedule because of his classes. But how do I accept it? It's so frustrating not getting to talk to him very much, and then some of the time conversations with him feel one sided because he's distracted by one thing or another. We've never met and can't afford to visit each other often anyway, and he doesn't feel comfortable with video chats. Am I being unreasonable? Clingy? I feel like it even though I do suffer from depression, but it feels like I'm the one in the wrong.
    Last edited by jaybird; January 28, 2018, 07:56 PM.

Hello,
    I would suggest you simply talk to him about it. Tell him that you don't blame him for anything, but that you miss him and would need to chat more often, I think I'll understand.
    I don't think you're being clingy, you're far away and feel the need to have quality time together through the distance, and it's normal. Also why not just phone call instead of video chats, if he feels uncomfortable with it ? It seems to be a good alternative.

Hope it helped

Comment

I have tried talking to him, like when I try to suggest he sleep more at night so he can be awake during the day, I've tried to carefully mention that I want to talk to him more but I get really sleepy some nights, haha. That's true, we used to have more quality chats, and we still do from time to time, like last night after I posted this, lol, but other days/nights it just feels like he's so distant. Well, he's a little too self-conscious for phone calls too but we'll keep working towards it, and after enjoying last night's conversations with him I feel a bit better. Thank you for your reply!

Comment

Working...
      X