Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I told him what my mum said, now he feels insecure.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I told him what my mum said, now he feels insecure.

Hello LDR community,

I feel I may have messed up.

My mum has a very one sided negative opinion of men. Mainly because she's been cheated on and used. And ever since I can remember she has preached her philosophy on men to me. This has influenced many of my relationship choices. Mainly by avoiding them. By avoiding men because as my mother says "they will use me."

Now as I've grown up I have learnt that not ALL men are like this. My SO being one of them.

We have started planning our first meeting which will be in just short of 3 months away. I am going to see him in his home town. We have been talking for over a year and I am confident he is who he is.

My mum has started to voice her doubts. That my SO is using me, that he might not be who he said he is, that he might be playing games. She expressed this in a message and I wrote back a very long reply asking her, and I'm paraphrasing now, to keep out of my business. Which I feel may not have been the best response.

What she said upset me. I was deeply hurt that I did not have the support of my mother in this very nerve wracking time. I have told her about my SO and she seemed positive, happy for me. But as our intended meet date is looming she is questioning my SO intentions.

Because I was upset, I told my SO what my mum had said. I told him how it upset me.

Now after a couple days I asked a simple question about some details of our meeting. After some talking, it seems that my mums words have made him very insecure. He is very family orientated and it upsets him that my mum has expressed her concerns in this way. I told him to take no notice of my mum, I told him why she said what she said. But he still feels hurt.

I just don't know what to do. Should I tell him to take no notice of my mum? Or should I be approaching my mum and assuring her of my SO good intentions. Or both?

I'd appreciate any advice! Sorry for the long post.

A bit of both. You can't completely dismiss your mom, she's your mom after all and she just has your best in mind, however, since she does not know your SO, she really shouldn't say anything bad about him. She can say she is worried, and your SO has to understand that unfortunately we live in times where people oftentimes do pretend to be someone different than they are and that a lot of people fall for them. So while your SO has to understand where she is coming from, you have to show your SO that you don't believe that and that your mom's point of view doesn't reflect your own view.

When my husband and I just started dating, my mom and my dad thought my 8 years older partner was only out to use me, especially since he has not been married before which must mean there was something wrong with him, BUT here is the thing - telling my husband about this made him upset. He has never been this distrusted, this insulted by someone so close to his girlfriend at the time. It was a tough time for us as I walked a thin line between talking to my parents to paint a better picture of my husband and talking to my husband to reassure him that I definitely don't believe what they say and that I am trying my best to change their mind.

You have to see it from his point of view - he hasn't done anything to deserve these doubts and ill thoughts from your mom so it is hurtful. Your mom comes from a tough spot and it'll take time to make this work.

In your case, I think he should visit you and your mom so she can see who this person is that holds your heart. Good luck!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
    First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
    Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
    Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
    Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
    Married: 1/24/2015
    Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Hello Snow! Thank you for the advice I've since had a chat with my SO about what my mum said. And I have tried to console him. Because as with your husband he is also very hurt. I think I have got through too him and he is trying not to take what she said so seriously. I still need to have a little chat with my mum but now I have a better understanding of my SO feelings I can better communicate with her. Thanks for taking the time to reply! Much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
      X