Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meeting my long-distance love interest for the first time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meeting my long-distance love interest for the first time!

Hi, ‘Forumers!’ 👋🏼

I’ll be meeting my long-distance love interest for the first time soon. I’m excited, but nervous. The cause of the latter is really down to one question: will they like me in person?

Just as a bit of background info., I’m a woman and my POI is a man. I’m English, he’s American. We’ve been talking now for just over a year, having ‘met’ through social media, initially. DMs became more frequent; these eventually turned into texts, calls ;that go on for hours), photos, videos etc., and eventually, Christmas, Birthday (and so forth) gifts for each other.

We have amazing ‘chemistry’ (whatever the apt word is for this when you’ve not met physically) and it’s fair to say, we’ve built/are building a beautiful friendship, and care for each other very much.

Of course, the eager anticipation to meet is growing. I’ll be visiting him, and whether it seems unrealistic or not, I’m expecting to feel the same way for him in person as I do across thousands of miles of distance. Generally, he communicates the same and is as enthusiastic as I am about it all, but he has mentioned in the past the possibility of it not being the same in-person – in the lusty, romantic sense.

I suppose you can never say 100% in these sorts of situations, but I’m seeing it as simply ‘closing the gap’ and enjoying the 3D versions of each other! It’s never occurred to me that I might not like the ‘real’ him.

I fully admit: I’m afraid he’ll meet me and reject me. Does anyone have any stories of their own they’d be willing to share, aligned with the above? Can people relate, and are these thoughts/anxieties normal?

I’d be grateful for any tips you have!

These are normal fears/anxieties. I experienced the same. We never know if the chemistry will be there in real life or whether or not it will be awkward or disappointing. In my case, my first meeting with my SO is one of my best memories with him. It was great (a bit awkward for the first few seconds but it did not last). So try to enjoy the most of it. Focus on the positive
    - I'll be waiting for you -

Started talking: December 2015
    First meeting: December 2016
    Second meeting: May 2017 - August 2017
    Third meeting: Septembre 2017 - January 2018
    Engaged: December 2017
    Fourth meeting: May 2018 - August 2018
    Fifth visit: December 2019
    Wedding: September 2019

Comment

I have the same anxiety, and it's not even gonna be our first meeting! I am always worried that he has built up some version of me over the time apart that isn't actually me and will reject me I when he sees me again in person. I think it's a normal fear, and they probably are afraid of the same thing!

Comment

I agree with the above; these feelings are totally normal! It may be a little awkward at first, seeing each other in person for the first time, but you will warm up quickly since you know each other so well. Congrats on making this big step!
        Read my LDR story!
        Facebook
        Instagram

Comment

Just be yourself!! All these worries are completely normal as others have said. Hope it goes well

Comment

Working...
          X