Over it ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over it ?

Hi. I’ve been in a LDR since July. Not that long but I’ve known this guy for almost 20 years. We met in 1999 and did long distance for 3 years, ultimately it ended and we both moved on. Eventually he married, we both had a kid each but we always stayed in touch. When his wife left him in June, he wanted to give us one last shot. I was over the moon because he’s all I have wanted for 2 decades.

Unfortunately it’s just not right. I asked him if he needed time to get through his divorce, that I would wait, but he was insistent that he didn’t. I went a little nuts with the love stuff when we both agreed we still loved each other. I would send letters and surprise him with packages, send him video messages, try to enjoy the honeymoon period. I would wait with baited breath just to get a message back from him. All chemical loved up stuff that I had no control over. But he never got it. He rarely replied to messages straight away, we’d be talking and he’d just disappear for hours leaving my stupid aslnnpyed (if you have to go, that’s fine!!! Just tell me so I’m not waiting around hoping for a message back). He never sent notes or packages (he did send my kid books HE liked but no note attached or anything). I explained that I really need the things. Little notes. Romance. To That I really didn’t want to lose the excitement (can something be lost that never was?)

I tell him things, he either misses them or doesn’t respond. I told him like I felt I was alone in the relationship and I’m just another thing he has to deal with in his life, and he never responded and when I brought it up again he said that he doesn’t respond to things that aren’t relevant, like an irrational fear. Ignore it. I was like, it’s relevant to me. So by not acknowledging my fears he is essentially ignoring me.

It’s gotten to the point that I don’t bother telling him important things anymore because, why? He’s too busy with everything else. I don’t expect him to drop his life for me, I’m just saying that I’m equally busy, if not more some days, and I still made the effort. I still attempted to show him he was worth it. I made him a priority where I could.

We are now 6 months in, I feel like I had to change everything about me. He doesn’t let his head get away from him, so that’s that. My excited honeymoon period was halted pretty fast. Now I just feel like a loser for being so loved up while he’s over there thinking I’m crazy.

I’m at the point that I don’t care anymore. Whether we talk or not. Whether we message. I don’t feel like talking on the phone. I don’t get excited to hear from him. I don’t send surprise letters anymore. I don’t try to lift him up when he’s down (he doesn’t like it, apparently), I have stopped planning our future with him, I have stopped being me. And ultimately, I THINK I have stopped loving him. I can’t tell if it’s my defense mechanisms kicking in or if it’s real.

I know communication is the foremost important thing in LDR’s, but over the last 6 months I HAVE communicated my concerns and frustrations, only to be met with justifications and excuses. In August I asked for a shirt that smelt like him. I just wanted to have him near me. We are in December. Nada. I’m never a consideration or priority even for something small. He wants something I send it the next day. It’s more complicated than just that. Seems silly but it’s been the theme all the way through. That I’ll be there when he’s ready for me. I don’t work like that.

The final straw came this last week, I sent him a specific message letting him know I had to put my cat down (so it wasn’t lost in groups of other messages) and that I would be sad and I got this cat 20 years ago, she’s important. He knew her. He never responded. So I mentioned it on the phone, he never acknowledged it then either. So the day I had to say goodbye he asked how my day was, I said busy, sad, happy, all the things. He asks why sad. I told him cat. He asked “what about the cat?”. It broke my heart. I try so hard to be present in his life. I check in on everything that’s important. And I do not get the same in return.

There’s so much more, in terms of dynamics that is too hard and long to put into a message, it’s long enough already!

So here we are. I feel so done with him and this whole train wreck of a relationship. But I’m scared to let go and say goodbye for good (and this time it will be for good) without meeting up. Plans had to move from Jan ‘19 to maybe April because of my health. I don’t know if meeting in person, finally, would change both of us enough to make this work. For us to feel the connection we’ve had for so long. Or maybe we need to meet up to know to let go. Either way. I’m just not sure. I’m stuck in a place of severe apathy and it’s hard. What is the point? I just want someone to love me as I do them. People show love in different ways, and maybe we aren’t compatible.

Ironically enough, how I am with the notes and the packages and the cutsie stuff came from him originally. He started it way back when so I guess I expected it to be somewhat part of our now. In 6 months I have 2 letters from him (one written on the back of a post office form because it was an after thought. He didn’t have time. Never has time). The only reason I got the second one was because I complained I have nothing of him. That in most cases, the note to me is more important than the package itself. He sent me a message the other day saying he sent off a Christmas package but there wasn’t a note inside so he told me which was mine by the wrapping colour. Broke my heart a little bit more. I’ve explained how important something little is for me in a note (I’m not expecting pages of undying love here, just something that personalizes the package because these things are all we have to build connections and strengthen the relationship). But he can’t try to add a note even when it’s important to me and have stated so?

Gah. If I wasn’t so dead inside I would be crying right now.

WWYD?

If you read this far, well done. I know it’s long, I was actually just going to write my frustrations out and delete it without posting but then I thought, what if someone else is going through this? Or what if knowing someone else out there is going through the same thing can help someone? What if someone has some advice after going through something similar? So now I press post.

I've been waiting after a letter from my partner for 3 years. He still hasn't done it haha. Some men are just not into it I guess. But anyway, by what you wrote, I think you two aren't compatible. Perhaps it worked as friends/penpals but he doesn't seem super invested in this relationship. He hasn't been divorced for long either. I think you should move on..
    - I'll be waiting for you -

Started talking: December 2015
    First meeting: December 2016
    Second meeting: May 2017 - August 2017
    Third meeting: Septembre 2017 - January 2018
    Engaged: December 2017
    Fourth meeting: May 2018 - August 2018
    Fifth visit: December 2019
    Wedding: September 2019

Comment

What makes your three year relationship work?

Comment

I would say what you're feeling is perfectly understandable. I would be much the same. I have had a few teething issues with my SO too, in regards to him acknowledging when I email him, 2 word replies when we chat and such. I got annoyed with it all, so I told him so. He apologised to me, and said he would work on it, and he has done. He's not perfect, and I acknowledge that, but after I told him that it bothered me he did address it. That's how it should be in a relationship, I think.
        Me and my SO haven't yet met either, and we have been together for 6 months too. Some people change after they meet, because it then feels more real to them, more tangible. Maybe this will be the case for you guys.
        If my SO treated me like that, my walls would go up too. I think that is a natural response to be honest. It is frustrating and upsetting when it feels like you are putting in all the work, and they aren't doing much by comparison.

Comment

Thank you for your response! It helps.

We have met, I lived in the states with him when we first dated, but yeah, it’s been 17ish years since I saw him last. We’ve changed so much.

I’ve addressed it multiple times with him, and he has tried. I told him just recently that I can see how much he does try but we have to work so much harder than most. But I don’t know at my age (I’m 37 he’s 42) if I could be f**ked uprooting my and my daughters life for someone who can’t even set 10 mins aside to write me a letter to go into a Christmas present! Or know what the time is in my country, or read messages and respond and just be present. I’m sick of telling him things I’ve already told him only the day before!! I’m like dude, please pay attention!! I’ve sent him SO many things to try to keep the spark alive, I just feel deflated and defeated. My friend joked and said “you could be on your death bed and he would be like ‘man I’ve had a hectic day at work, so how’s things with you?’” It’s getting real old.

I’m a cold rock of a person with bare minimum replies and generic morning messages, and honestly, I think he prefers it this way. He hasn’t noticed the difference. He hasn’t asked me if I’m ok. Im usually open with my feelings but what’s the poooooint 😩 It’s like same old same ol. No point in bringing it up AGAIN. He already knows. It’s like banging my head against the wall. I just don’t know if it’s worth holding out for. I don’t know what I’m fighting for.

Comment

Would you accept this behavior in a relationship with someone living in the same city? If they were sitting on your couch and you told them about the cat and they gave you a one-word reply, would that be okay for you? Sometimes, it's easy to tolerate behavior because it seems different online, but in reality, compatibility is compatibility. You guys seem to have different love languages, and neither of you are speaking the other's. To It's okay to realize that someone is not and probably will not meet your needs.
            sigpic

Comment

Wow, yeah, thank you.
              I’ve talked to him about love languages. And I asked him about his, he didn’t ask me about mine so I told him anyway. They are very different and I have tried to meet him on his but it seems he cannot understand and do things for me that I need. It’s hard.

The cat thing he said he missed. I don’t know if I 100% believe that, but I have to take his word.

I kinda let loose last night, got it all out. He doesn’t get it. He still says he loves me more than anything and knew long distance would be hard so was always prepared for this. Maybe this time around it’s me who isn’t.

Thank you so much for your reply and for taking the time to read my message on the first place!!

Comment

Literally wanted to send you a virtual hug after reading this post. The only thing that I could add is that if you don't end up meeting up would you end up further down the line thinking what if? Hope things get better x

Comment

Thank you :-( yes, the only thing that’s keeping me in this is the what if. We’ve been magnets for the last 2 decades, nothing will stop that from continuing to happen unless we meet up again. In our very changed personalities since last time. It’s just hard. I think now I can see we aren’t compatible but distance ruins proper perception. Maybe he IS better in person (he was last time) or maybe he’s just a selfish jerk. I don’t know! But without the physical I will always be left wondering. xxx

Comment

Working...
                  X