Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Special preparations before you see your SO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special preparations before you see your SO?

I guess this is more aimed at people who met online, but it can also apply to other couples too.

Before going to see your SO for the first time, will you, or did you have to make any special preparations?

I don't mean cut your hair, or do your make-up etc, I mean like buy certain clothes you wouldn't normally buy, or maybe even something specific in order to fit into your SO's culture. Or maybe there's something you have to change about the way you look?

For me it was simply warm clothes. It gets cold in the UK but not so cold that you have to wear layer upon layer like you have to in Finland, so I went out and bought a new coat, hat, gloves, scarf, even long johns (Not sure what they'd be called in America... )

I'm not used to being that cold! My eyelashes even froze sometimes!

So how about you?
    In a relationship with

Read mine & Tanja's story here!

My Albums:
    Summer 2009 / Xmas 2009
    Summer 2010: Part 1 & Part 2
    My dog Sam ♥

OMG, the first time I had to buy a really warm, waterproof coat, ski pants, real gloves, decent snow boots, long underwear, pretty much everything you'd need to visit the Land of Ice and Snow! Yeah, that first visit cost me a fortune. There are small African countries that have a smaller yearly budget than that trip! Not to mention all the girly things I had to do before going At least I have everything now, and won't have to do it again, eeesh.
    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

We call them long johns here. Or thermal underwear.

For me, I had to check manuals to make sure how much I really had to worry about the poisonous creatures, and then I had to mentally practice driving on the other side of the road, as it's flipped in Australia. XD

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Originally posted by Silviar View Post
        We call them long johns here. Or thermal underwear.

For me, I had to check manuals to make sure how much I really had to worry about the poisonous creatures, and then I had to mentally practice driving on the other side of the road, as it's flipped in Australia. XD
        I was going to write long johns, but was afraid nobody would know what I was talking about
        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

My SO lives in a drastically different climate, but I didn't buy anything new. Figured I'd do it there! So I think all my "adjustment shopping" was done over there with him. I did, however, whiten my teeth and work out a fair amount before I went there. :P

Comment

Long Johns are hot!

No special preparations...just sat and waited for him to make the long drive and paced back and forth and did my hair a 100 times..
            NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

Thank goodness my trip doesn't require any huge changes like the one you mentioned, I would just about explode with nerves! Already everything else I've had to focus on-the haircut, new clothes/shoes (not cause I need 'em aside from the LBD but mostly cause I wanna look pretty ), jewelry, nails....ah! That stuff's already plenty expensive O_o

Comment

When I met my SO two years ago I pretty much went as I normally was. I live on the East Coast of the US and he lives on the West Coast (literally a country apart...how fun). The only thing I really did differently was I wore a jacket constantly, not because it was cold, but I was trying to hide my back-fat (not that he really cared xD). Plus I dolled myself up every day and made sure to wear the same perfume I'd spritzed on letters in the past.

Comment

No special preparations for me. I only needed to renew my passport, that was it. And well... I kinda bought new underwear. I thought that might be nifty.

Comment

I didn't make any special preparations before i visited my SO for the first time. I had to get a passport first but that was it. I just took my normal clothes and stuff with me cause the weather in Holland isn't too different from home, it was just a bit warmer and with alot less rain XD

Comment

Buy the time I'd payed everything for the first trip, tickets, insurance, passport, aditional ID required to get a passport, etc it came to a tidy $3000. I had no money for anything else except living and school expenses for that year. All my clothes were falling to pieces. I didn't own anything without holes, and that included the soles of my shoes (which I'd patched up with cardboard and blu-tack. That doesn't work well by the way, don't try it). I was also heading over for the Canadian winter, so I needed clothes badly. My sister took me out and bought me like $150 worth of knit-dresses, leggings, undershirts etc and then gave me half her own clothes to make up what I didn't have. She was determined that I wouldn't look like a scab when I got there. I had a new coat as well, and new knee-high ugg style boots.

I froze. The snow ended up being higher than my boots, which I quickly learnt were not waterproof. So I had cold wet miserable feet for the whole trip. I ended up having to borrow a jacket from my sister in law because the one I had was terribly insufficient. I also wore a red santa hat for the period before xmas, simply for the warmth (I hate beenies).

But other than that, not really.
                      Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
                        Buy the time I'd payed everything for the first trip, tickets, insurance, passport, aditional ID required to get a passport, etc it came to a tidy $3000. I had no money for anything else except living and school expenses for that year. All my clothes were falling to pieces. I didn't own anything without holes, and that included the soles of my shoes (which I'd patched up with cardboard and blu-tack. That doesn't work well by the way, don't try it). I was also heading over for the Canadian winter, so I needed clothes badly. My sister took me out and bought me like $150 worth of knit-dresses, leggings, undershirts etc and then gave me half her own clothes to make up what I didn't have. She was determined that I wouldn't look like a scab when I got there. I had a new coat as well, and new knee-high ugg style boots.

I froze. The snow ended up being higher than my boots, which I quickly learnt were not waterproof. So I had cold wet miserable feet for the whole trip. I ended up having to borrow a jacket from my sister in law because the one I had was terribly insufficient. I also wore a red santa hat for the period before xmas, simply for the warmth (I hate beenies).

Oh man. Just speechless reading that. What a great sister you have though

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
                        But other than that, not really.

I laughed
                        In a relationship with

Read mine & Tanja's story here!

My Albums:
                        Summer 2009 / Xmas 2009
                        Summer 2010: Part 1 & Part 2
                        My dog Sam ♥

Comment

I go and shave better then I usually do. Usually I just do touch ups and my calves andunder arms but when I know she's in town I'll shave my whole leg and everything else a lot better.
                          Met: 1.20.09 (At School)
                          Starting Dating: 5.22.09
                          Been an LDR since: 8.17.10 (3 hours distance)
                          Last Time I saw my SO: 10.02.10
                          Next time I will see my SO: 10.14.10

Comment

I also change my seats, clean the house, and make sure her favorite food is in my kitchen
                            Met: 1.20.09 (At School)
                            Starting Dating: 5.22.09
                            Been an LDR since: 8.17.10 (3 hours distance)
                            Last Time I saw my SO: 10.02.10
                            Next time I will see my SO: 10.14.10

Comment

I knew that when my bf came to visit me, i didn't want him to have to buy fast food or anything like that while he's visiting. So i told him he will always have a home-cooked meal while he is here. So my special preparation was to brush up on my Romanian cooking (or any cooking for that matter), and go food shopping to the max. I just wanted to prove to him that i can cook and that when we do get married he would have a wife that can help around in the kitchen :]

Comment

Working...
                              X