X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really stuck on the idea of my partner getting married when I’m not around

Hello everyone;

Firstly, I apologize if this is not the correct space to post this message but it’s my very first one and I’m very new to this.

My girlfriend and I have been in a relationship for nearly two years now and we deeply care for each other and have plans to get married later when I have reached a position when I’m financially self-sufficient and can stand on my own two feet.
    So far, we have had our share of ups and downs in the relationship and thankfully we have trumped over them but we’re faced with a new situation that just may pull the plug on the relationship.

Unfortunately, I have plans to emigrate to another country because of the difficulties of securing a future in my home country and will probably not be able to come back at least for the foreseeable future (talking about 7 years here).

Though we have made plans and commitments to each other, what’s even more regrettable is the fact that my girlfriend, who’s living with her parents currently, is not on good terms with her parents at all and nearly every night is an emotional and mental roller coaster for her. She thinks the only way she’ll be ever from this is through marriage, even to just escape the unbearable situation at home. I should also add that she’s also well aware that currently, I’m not in a position to make such a commitment because I’m a grad student with limited to no income of my own.

Recently, she’s had a suitor and she’s considering hearing what he has to say and give him a chance to see if he’s marriage material. It’s not the first time and she already knows that as her lover it’s upsetting me because I’m still here and haven’t left, yet she believes if she says no right up front, she might lose her chance for later times when I’m not around, at least physically.

Those closest to me tell me that just end it because you’re moving to a whole new world filled with lots of opportunities including those to start a relationship anew, but honestly, I can’t bring myself to the idea of just terminating a relationship like a snap of my fingers. I just cannot.

So, to sum up, does anyone have any idea how I can cope with this?

Thank you very much!

You said she is thinking of marriage as an escape from her parents?

That sounds like a danger signal to me. The only good reason to get married is if you have found the one you want to spend the rest of your life with. The fact that she is already looking at other options, besides you, should tell you something.

It sounds to me like she is more attached to the idea of getting away from her parents than she is to you (or the other guy, too).

My suggestion is to go ahead and do your move. Continue your studies. And if she is still there when you are able to support her, then good. If she marries the other guy, then you have saved yourself a lot of future grief which would be a lot worse than what you are going through now.

As for how you can cope, I don't have any specific ideas.

Comment

Dear OhioJim;

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Have a better one.

Comment

Working...
      X