Having to learn a new language?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having to learn a new language?

How many of you here will have to learn a new language when you move to be with your SO?

Or will your SO have to learn one when they move to be with you?

Do you/they have any basic grasp of it already? Or will they have to learn it from scratch?

I'll have to learn Finnish when I move to be with Tanja... and here's a little fact for you. If English is your first language, then Finnish is the most difficult European language to learn... great stuff
    In a relationship with

Read mine & Tanja's story here!

My Albums:
    Summer 2009 / Xmas 2009
    Summer 2010: Part 1 & Part 2
    My dog Sam ♥

i know how to talk in a scottish accent heh, if i had a SO who spoke another language i would attempt to learn

Comment

Nope, already speak English :P. I have to keep up with it though since his Spanish is limited ;_;! If he ever wants to shack up with me though, he's going to need to learn Spanish since I'd like to speak my native language at home! D:<

Comment

Yup ¬_________¬

I sucked at languages in school. Just my luck I get a girl from Finland

Comment

We both speak English, but I've been trying to learn Spanish for him anyway, as he's nearly fluent and I'd like to be able to talk to him in more than one language.

I *did* learn Russian for a guy who I used to date on and off when I was 18.

If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion...love actually is all around

Comment

I'm already learning Swedish. I'm in my second courseyear. It's a once in a week 1h 15m course, with homework and all. I notice I am learning it very slow, and it's off course because I don't speak it regularly. So I got the basics of it, I can read a bit, understand a little when I hear Swedish talks on the radio, or a conversation (although most of it just goes way too fast for me :P). The speaking part is the most difficult. The language structure, grammar and all is not that hard, it's similar to Dutch, German, English... but the pronunciation is so very different.
            I decided I wanted to start studying it because if I ever would move there, it will be much easier to adapt in that sense, as well as it would be easier to find a job. It doesnt cost me that much time now and it's fairly cheap.

It's funny, when I am in Sweden and I see products in the store there is always info in Finnish on them... It makes me laugh, it seems so crazy and difficult. She has one Finnish tv channel and I sometimes watch it... All I can say is: Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Inga View Post
              It's funny, when I am in Sweden and I see products in the store there is always info in Finnish on them... It makes me laugh, it seems so crazy and difficult. She has one Finnish tv channel and I sometimes watch it... All I can say is: Good luck!
              Not gonna lie.. it's ridiculous :|

Comment

I'm learning Thai even though my SO has the intention of moving to be with me. She refuses to learn Spanish and expects me to move to a US country just so she wont have to. She thinks she's a princess and acts like it.

Comment

I learned quite a bit of Turkish when dating my ex. Now I just have my sexy man with a wonderful New England accent...ohhhh mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
                  NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

My SO learned English, so he is all prepared to move here. I want to learn his first language so I can talk to his parents, though.

Comment

My SO and I both speak English and French fluently. But I definitely had to learn some Bambara while I was in Mali and it makes his family really happy when I speak it and when I can understand them. But DANG it's a confusing language~ haha!

Comment

Since I'm moving to Japan, I of course have to learn Japanese, but I don't really see that as a problem, since I already now know enough Japanese to be a part of the Japanese society and Japanese is also my major in university.

... I already knew Japanese before I met my SO - since I've always loved Japan, but of course he has also been a help when it comes to practicing, learning new words and reading kanji (Chinese characters).

Comment

Trying to learn Finnish is just awful I can curse really well, but that's about it. Damn those twisty words and incomprehensible sentence structure! I'm doomed, I couldn't even manage Spanish in school.
                          Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I have been learning Dutch so I can speak to my SOs family. I love learning languages in general and I grasp them really quickly. My guy is already fluent in English, though he has some trouble with names of things like food, but apart from that he's absolutely excellent. We'll be moving to England next year and I don't think he'll have any problem with communicating. I've been learning Dutch for a few months and I'm only just barely at conversational level.

Comment

Neither my parents or my grandparents speak English so my BF is learnig Finnish. I really appreciate that!
                              How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good-bye so hard!

Comment

Working...
                              X