X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of love for Finnish here

Seriously though, it is just impossible :/

And yes that is a real place name in Wales by the way, it\s not too hard

I think my Welsh will help me with learning Finnish because they're both phonetic languages. Plus some of the Welsh letters sound like some Finnish letters, so even thuogh they're usually different letters, they make the same sound

Also my Mum's a retired French teacher and it's the only GCSE I got an A* in so hopefully languages are in my genes

Oh, one more thing, I remember seeing this, or something very similar, in a phrase book:

"Please may I have some chocolate cake?"

It was a Finnish phrase book and it had that phrase in English, German, Spanish and French - they all had roughly the same amount of words. In Finnish? THREE words. Three! How are you getting that down to just 3 words?!
    In a relationship with

Read mine & Tanja's story here!

My Albums:
    Summer 2009 / Xmas 2009
    Summer 2010: Part 1 & Part 2
    My dog Sam ♥

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
      Oh, one more thing, I remember seeing this, or something very similar, in a phrase book:

"Please may I have some chocolate cake?"

It was a Finnish phrase book and it had that phrase in English, German, Spanish and French - they all had roughly the same amount of words. In Finnish? THREE words. Three! How are you getting that down to just 3 words?!
      "Saisinko kakkua, kiitos."? Pfft, it's easy *smug* Nicer to have a lot of stuff in just one word, takes up less space

Saisinko
      May I have

Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Finnish language is a real space saver!

Comment

Originally posted by elina View Post
        "Saisinko kakkua, kiitos."? Pfft, it's easy *smug* Nicer to have a lot of stuff in just one word, takes up less space

Saisinko
        May I have

Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Finnish language is a real space saver!

It's true though, you do save space but your words can end up being huge!

I find it a bit weird that you don't really have a word for please. I'm kinda old-fashioned when it comes to manners and politeness etc so that was a bit of a surprise

Btw, has anyone here read 1984 by George Orwell? Finnish is just like Newspeak
        In a relationship with

My Albums:
        Summer 2009 / Xmas 2009
        My dog Sam ♥

Comment

It's true though, you do save space but your words can end up being huge!

I find it a bit weird that you don't really have a word for please. I'm kinda old-fashioned when it comes to manners and politeness etc so that was a bit of a surprise
          Ahh, huge words<3 They're funny. A pain in the bum for you guys (sorry) but yeah Kinda sucks.. that Finnish is so hard, really.. Gotta appreciate you guys for doing that for us.

And yeah, I know, Sam's asked me to tell him the word for it and.. There isn't one You just need to know the other ways to make the word/sentence polite..

Comment

Originally posted by elina View Post
            And yeah, I know, Sam's asked me to tell him the word for it and.. There isn't one You just need to know the other ways to make the word/sentence polite..

That's what Tanja says XD

I think it might catch me out a few times and I'll just come across as a rude foreigner
            In a relationship with

My Albums:
            Summer 2009 / Xmas 2009
            My dog Sam ♥

Comment

That's what Tanja says XD

I think it might catch me out a few times and I'll just come across as a rude foreigner
              Haha, nah, you'll learn eventually Personally I don't think you'd stand out that much even if you weren't being as polite as possible.. Feels like most, or at least a lot of Finns are kinda rude anyway >_> hah.

Comment

Finns often use the word Kiitos when British would say Please...

Example: "Pass me the sugar, please = Antaisitko suolan, kiitos."

We sort of include the politeness into the word that's asking for something. It's complicated I know

Comment

Newspeak made my head explode.

Russian is bizarre too. No one cares what order you put your words in, as long as they're all there.

If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion...love actually is all around

Comment

Originally posted by squiddie View Post
                    Newspeak made my head explode.
                    Imagine what Finnish would do to you!

Russian is bizarre too. No one cares what order you put your words in, as long as they're all there.

Really??
                    In a relationship with

My Albums:
                    Summer 2009 / Xmas 2009
                    My dog Sam ♥

Comment

Wait, what?

understand they'll sentence a and say then could like this I? :|

Comment

Originally posted by sam View Post
                        Wait, what?

Good one Sam - couldn't figure out what you said without Andy's help

Comment

For those of us struggling to comprehend Finnish, here's a website full of helpful (Hah!) phrases. https://kisa.ca/finnish-phrases.html
                          Me and my guy had fun with this one (er, no offense to the resident Finns on here!)
                          Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by sam View Post

Not exactly, but close. I think the subject DOES have to come before the verb, but other than that, all modifiers can be thrown in any which way.

If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion...love actually is all around

Comment

We both speak English. No problems at all there. I also speak German and I'm now trying to learn Spanish.

Comment

Good topic. Yes I have and she has to but still... We have a big trouble about it. We speak one each other in english but we both suck in this language. T_T I specially don't get the oral english. We're ok typing in Internet (I search some words in Google translator or Wikipedia, and I'm used to understand her mistakes). But I don't understand almost any sentence in oral english plus she neither knows much how to speak amnd isnt able to speak the "r" (quite confusing sometimes but I like how she says my name without r xD).

I though in study korean (her first and most fluent language) but there aren't courses of that language in my area plus it looks VERY difficult for me.

She will visite me in real in february (maybe we will be 20 days together). She won't can travel alone at all wihout I help her translating and We still don't know how we will speak and understand one each other. Any idea? :/
                                Why am I always trying the impossible?

Comment

Working...
                                X