A bit of a vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit of a vent

I'm having a bit of a hard time this morning. Posting this here because maybe someone can give some insight without going all teenager on me about it. The truth is, I don't know whether I should be upset or if I'm just over reacting - which is what my SO says it is.

The situation is this. My SO has a friend that he's been good friends with for some time online. She lives in the Netherlands and is planning a trip to the US in August. Part of that trip she will be in our area and wants to come and visit us. Now, we don't have room in the house for her to stay here (thankfully) and normally I wouldn't care about friends visiting, but this one... I'm just not so sure about.

I was introduced to her recently and we got to talking about life, men, and experiences in general. I gave probably more information than I should have about my SO and I, but I don't really have anyone here to talk to about things and she gave me some good insight on some things that had been worrying me. Of course, some of that got back to my SO and while he wasn't mad, some of the things she said came out twisted back to him. Things like I'd love to see him tie his hair back into a ponytail sometimes came out as I hated his hair. Or at least that's how it came back to me when he mentioned it. Once all of that got straightened out more or less, the communication with her stopped. She will respond via messenger if I say something, but never initiates the conversation like she did for those few days. She still talks to my SO a lot via messenger of course I guess the whole purpose of her talking to me to begin with was to make me feel more comfortable with her coming to visit but honestly, now I'm not so sure.

Honestly, I'm not sure what to think. I don't know if she was fishing for information, or if she was genuinely trying to help or if there was some ulterior motive at work. I know I can be over reactive and over sensitive about things.... those I'm trying to work on within myself. Most of the time I'm pretty good, but last night he made the comment that she wanted to a ride on the bike when she visited. Now, it's his motorcycle and no I don't care if she is taken for a ride on it but the comment when I jokingly said maybe because it was my seat (a joke he's played into with everyone else) was something along the lines of "it's a bitch seat.. that means any bitches".

Now, on face value I know I"m overreacting here... I live with him and have for a year now, we share bills, pool money, have bought one used car and were talking earlier in the day about when we'd trade that car in and buy a newer car... talk all the time about things we are going to do to the house and about eventually moving out of this house into one with some land. So I feel secure with him, but in reality what do I really have?

We are both still married, and while I have my paperwork drawn up and ready to file, he hasn't even started on his. He still has his ex's name tattooed on his leg and he knows how I feel about it but hasn't moved to cover it with anything. I don't know... I feel on one hand like this friend visiting is just another in a long list of reminders that realistically I'm "just the girlfriend", I mean... I can't really say no she can't visit. On the other hand, we do live together, share things as partners and I know he loves me... but this kind of stuff really makes me very insecure and unsure about things.

What I WANT to do is to quietly tell her that she might be his friend, but I'm his partner and she needs to remember the boundaries and not try to play us against each other in the spirit of "helping". What I will probably do is just hold out until she's here and gone again and be thankful it was a short visit.

I honestly think I need some Xanax... smokes just aren't cutting this kind of worry anymore.
    Three words. Fill my racing mind. Leave me breathless. Lost in time.
    Three words. Fill my endless dreams. Repair my heart. Mend the seams.
    Three words. Fill your heart too. Three words pronounced. I love you.

~~~~~~

You look in the mirror, you don't like what you see, don't believe it.
    Look in my eyes, I am the only mirror you're ever gonna need.

Met online: 12/24/10 Met In Person: 2/24/11 Distance Closed: 4/24/11
    Not one regret, not one backwards look, only towards the future and beyond!

I need to add and can't edit on the phone that she also said he wasn't over his ex fully... which she says is why he still has the tattoo and the marriage...ugh

~~~~~~

Comment

Honestly, it sounds like she's trying to play you guys against each other, and while this isn't something I would normally say, from what you're saying it really appears that way.

In this kind of situation I would wait until she's inappropriate in person and then say something.

I will also say, on the other side of the fence, I had a wife of a friend assume this about me and it wasn't true at all. They met online and she was threatened that I was a new friend he had made online. I gave him GENUINE advice about his relationship and NEVER tried to interfere with their relationship. Somehow things got twisted and she assumed that I was manipulating her husband and wanted him for my own - which is pretty far from the truth. If I had been given the chance to explain things IN PERSON, without the stupid telephone games, things may have turned out differently.

Just something to think about. And that being said...don't let her get under your skin. You've got the man.

Comment

Originally posted by LeilaniJoi View Post
        I need to add and can't edit on the phone that she also said he wasn't over his ex fully... which she says is why he still has the tattoo and the marriage...ugh
        I can understand how a person can misunderstand some one else's words and twist them a bit but this seems like crossing a line. This to me, is something that is meant to be hurtful. Why would you tell someone this unless you wanted to make then feel bad?

I'm ridiculously hyper sensitive, so I know it's hard to gauge what is really something worth being upset over vs what is really not, but if my SO's ex told me this, then I would be more than upset. I agree with Sierra, I think she is trying to play you against each other. I would talk to him and make sure he understands it's important to show a united front with her. No discussions about your relationship issues and lots of reaffirming the fact that you guys are committed to one another. You're not "just a girlfriend" - you are a partner.

Comment

Not his ex... just a friend but a close friend of his. The conversation started when i told her i wanted to surprise him with a tattoo of his name.. something small and she commented that she didn't think he would like it because she didn't think he was over his ex yet... hence why the delay in his divorce.

Don't know, felt a bit better just typing that out but still on my mind. I tend to over think things a good bit of the time.

~~~~~~

Comment

From what you've said here it definitely sounds like she's trying to turn you and your SO against each other. Obviously it's impossible for me to know her side of the story and to know why the things you've talked about have twisted like they have by the time they got to your SO.

But yeah, I'd be on my toes with her if I were you. And also I would ask your SO about the whole "not over his ex" thing. It would bother me sooooooo much.

I hope it turns out to be some sort of a misunderstanding and you'll have a nice time while she's there. If not, then I hope it's an über short visit

Comment

Working...
            X