No announcement yet.

The ring: to wear or not to wear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i would be very bothered by this. im super jealous as it is!

Comment

We actually had this conversation after we went to a wedding of a friend of his and my SO told me the groom said he isn't going to wear his wedding ring. I told my SO(for when we marry in the future) if he didn't wear his, I wasn't wearing mine. He said I had to, so I said, then you have to. I told him the only reason I would be OK if he took it off would be if there was a chance it would get caught on something while he worked. Then the second he was done with work, it will be on his finger. The only reason I know that men don't wear a wedding ring is so that other women will think he is single. I would think that, if a man has decided to marry a woman he says he loves, he would want the world to know he was married.

Comment

One more thing, I remember my father lost his ring when I was little. (He had lost some weight and it was too big.) He was so upset, he looked everywhere for it. He kept telling my Mom he was so sorry. When they got married, they had to scrape together money to buy their wedding rings, so it meant a lot to him. He eventually found it and was so happy. He didn't take it off, until the day he died. My mother now wears my Dad's ring on a chain, along with the Celtic cross my Dad got for her. When she misses him, she kisses his ring and says I love you. That is why I want my guy to wear his ring. That is what it means to me, a symbol of love and commitment, til death.

Comment

I would be really upset for all the reasons people listed previously. However, I don't think I'll ever have to worry about this happening. He even wears his LFAD bracelet every day without fail and is happy to explain the meaning of it to anyone who asks.

Comment

Interesting question. My Dad never wore a ring but he's been married to my mother for 48 years. Rings are just not his thing. I wouldn't mind if my SO didnt wear one because his work would pretty much preclude it.

Comment

Like most everyone on here, I would be very hurt if he didn't wear the ring. Which I don't think will be a problem anyways because I think he would be proud to wear it. It's proof of our love and commitment and plus it would be, in a way, a "I told you so" to his mom xP But if he couldn't wear it on his hand (for whatever reason besides he doesn't want to) I would be happy if he wore it on chain. He does love wearing chains so I know that wouldn't bother him one bit but I would prefer if he wore it on his ring finger heh ^^;

First Met Online: May 08
              Became a Couple: 4.11.09
              First Visit: 7.27.11 - 8.11.11
              Second Visit: 9.15.12 - 9.23.12
              Third Visit: 7.6.13 - 7.14.13

Comment

So.. just and observation... My dad hardly ever wore his ring, he worked with his hands, cooking, gardening, machine work, building, ect. They were happily married for 32 years, they died with the last thoughts being of each other. The good, the bad, till death... I get the whole symbol and pride thing... but actions speak louder than symbols. He showed his pride in being my mothers husband every day. He knew exactly where his wedding ring was... in a jewelry box in his sock drawer. Just my two cents.

Everything I know, and anywhere I go, It gets hard but it won't take away my love,
                And when the last one falls, when it's all said and done, It gets hard but it won't take away my love

sigpic

Me without Him is like Son of Beast without the loop.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauntedpoet View Post
                  So.. just and observation... My dad hardly ever wore his ring, he worked with his hands, cooking, gardening, machine work, building, ect. They were happily married for 32 years, they died with the last thoughts being of each other. The good, the bad, till death... I get the whole symbol and pride thing... but actions speak louder than symbols. He showed his pride in being my mothers husband every day. He knew exactly where his wedding ring was... in a jewelry box in his sock drawer. Just my two cents.
                  Well said. A balanced point. Whilst I shall wear a ring with pride and through choice, there is perhaps a little too much value given to it's importance in a marriage, and not all guys who don't wear one have evil motives for it, not AT ALL.

Comment

If I were in the same professional vein as my father (carpenter, mechanic, etc.), I'd probably take off my ring and set it in a safe place, but put it back on as soon as I got out of work. Any other profession, and it would probably be welded to my finger.

I honestly think that unless you work in those professions, there is no reason to take off that ring. It's a symbol that your love has no beginning and no end, and it just seems like you give no credence to the relationship if you take it off.
                    National Novel Writing Month Participant- 2010, 2011, 2012
                    National Novel Writing Month Winner- 2010, 2011, 2012

Current Writing Project: Wait Until Next Year

Comment

I guess it all depends on the importance you place on symbolic things. Whilst it may seem like those not wearing it give no credence to their relationship, I'm sure in general that's not really the case. I'm sure those (both women and men) who choose not to wear a ring don't value their relationship any less than those who do- they just don't hold such symbols as important factors.
                      There's no right or wrong

Comment

I also think it's a symbol of your love, commitment and marriage .... must be worn.

Comment

Working...
                        X