My mom just suddenly freaked out on me about my SO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mom just suddenly freaked out on me about my SO

I've been telling my mom about my bf for awhile now and she seemed pretty okay with it. And now that Im actually trying to slow our relationship down she just popped out of the kitchen today and assaulted me questions like never before. I am planning on going to see him in TX in feb but I haven't told her anything at all about it.
    >.>
    She claims she was watching law & order or something, but she was just really aggressive today. I understand her worries and all but she just went about it all crazy XD
    She said I should take my sister lol
    But how fair would that be?
    1. I'd have to set our plans back so I can save up enough for money for an additional plane ticket.
    2. I'd need an additional hotel room for my sister
    3. what kind of sister would I be to bring her along and then feel bad because I brought her all this way and then feel like Im ditching her for him.
    or go all that way for my bf and then have to be with my sister
    >.<
    or have to worry about my sister txting my mom
    "she didnt even come back to the room last night"
    the whole point of me going is to be with him

I understand your mom's concerns. I'm not a mom, but be glad that she would let you go if you take your sister.

May I ask how old are you and how old is your sister? That will clear up some of the questions and thoughts I have.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

She's just concerned for you like all mom's worry about there kids (i am mom!)
      I think your age may have something to do with her concern though.
      As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

I had to bring a friend along the first time I met my SO. Yeah, I would have rather been alone with him, but it was his decision in the first place. Really though, that is the safest thing you can do when meeting someone online for the first time. You might not want to bring your sister along, but your mom is watching out for you. At least she is still letting you go. Would you even need two rooms? Couldn't you share a bed with your sister. I know that you would want to spend time with your BF, but honestly, I think that would be rude ditching your sister the entire time. Maybe she could bring a friend with her as well?

Comment

The first time that I went to visit my boyfriend, my parents were very worried of me going alone so I brought my best friend along. We drove from California to Texas for our road trip. Your moms concerns are very normal. Try to ask her what would make her feel comfortable and try to make an agreement. Don't get defensive because she's just doing her job - being a mom.

Comment

My parents (especially my dad) wanted me to do the same thing the first time; Bring my sister. Even though I didn't wanted to, I still offered the invitation but she was the one that declined (mind you, my sister is older than me) so my parents had to "suck it up" and let me go. I was 21 years old anyway, not a baby. I stayed with him and his parents and everything went just fine. Reason I didn't want my sister to go was 'cause of the same reasons Sano doesn't want to go with hers. And knowing my sister, she would've been so bored. Christmas/New Year's in Utah, not that exciting. xD

For the second time, my dad tried to do the same thing; only that time I didn't even bother 'cause I was determined on going and going by myself. That time I went to Texas, his hometown. <3

Comment

I have to agree with most everyone else, it's your mom looking out for you. There are some crazy horror stories out there (and I'm not saying that your boyfriend is a psycho that would do those things) but your mom doesn't know him like you do, and I have to admit that if I had a daughter and she was going to meet her boyfriend for the first time, I'd be a little worried too. It probably doesn't help that she was watching Law and Order and maybe saw an episode about something very similar. Honestly, I don't know your age, but I'd agree that it's probably best to take your sister the first time. Not only can your sister be there if god for bid something were to happen, but she can also relate to your parents that your boyfriend is a good guy so that next time they have no issues with you going to visit him, or for him coming to visit you.

我爱我的男朋友我。现在我们一起。

Comment

my mom came with me the first time actually and she didnt even know i met him online at that time.

Comment

Im 21 and my sister is 18

Comment

I understand her concern and my whole thing is I dont want to ditch whoever has to come with me, but thats probably what they would feel like. And I planned on flying because TX is a 8 hour drive from my home so I'd have to push back my plans to wait for whoever else is tagging along to save up their money

Comment

I wasn't trying to be defensive but she just suddenly came at me angrily. We talked about him before and she seemed fine, it seemed more like a scolding then a discussion

Comment

I just know if I take her, Im going to have pay an extra 300 bucks for her plane ticket and my sister gets pissy when she gets bored. Its just not very convenient because Im suppose to be going in feb. and I dont really mind missing one of my classes to go but my sister would have to miss a day or two for me to pick her up from her school and then come back home and leave from our airport,

Comment

Originally posted by Sano View Post
                          I wasn't trying to be defensive but she just suddenly came at me angrily. We talked about him before and she seemed fine, it seemed more like a scolding then a discussion
                          Good, I'm glad you guys got to revisit it. I hope it was more productive than last time.

Man, sounds like the sister is frustrating. I don't suppose you have someone who likes to travel who'd like to visit that area and enjoy the comfort of having a safety check buddy?

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

my friend offered to go but she doesn't have the money to go when we planned to go in feb.

Comment

Working...
                            X