Gift for his parents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gift for his parents?

Sooooooo I'm meeting my SO's parents for the first time next week. I want to bring them something as a gift, but I want to get it before I go so wine, which I think it pretty standard, is not the best option. I wanted to bring them some homemade cookies, but his mom makes all kinds of sweets that end up lasting until March so it seems a bit pointless. The other ideas are maybe a nice scented candle and something to hold it, or if I have time make a couple scarves and The Boy can let me know what colours.

Do you guys have any suggestions on what I could bring? It needs to be something relatively inexpensive (say, $20 or less) that would travel well in a carry-on.

"You know it's love when you want to keep holding hands even after you're sweaty."
    -- Anonymous

Hmmmm picture frames always are nice :-) Or a bouquet of flowers delivered to the house. You could ask your SO if there is anything that they need...Bath stuff for his mom maybe and a tie for his dad are standards gifts too. I'm not sure seeing as its your first time meeting but you could order some wine online and have it delivered to his place that way you don't have to carry it...or buy a quick bottle before you meet them

Comment

The wine is perfect! Have you thought about making a small gift basket to go with it? Crackers, Christmas wine stopper, wine aerator (big hit for my SO's parents), and possibly a small cookbook for her? Not too much but still very impressive!

Best of luck,
      -Rae
      If ever there is tomorrow when we’re not together...there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we’re apart...I’ll always be with you.

~ Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I've already thought about that for myself
        As I'm Swiss and she's Colombian, I will bring them some cheese, chocolate, wine and other stuff from here... I think the typical products from your country could be a good option... if you are from the same country, then I dont know

Comment

I bring some chocolate or things that they don't get in Poland almost everytime that I visit and I cook for my boyfriend's family when I'm staying there longer. They let me stay at their place and feed me, so that's the least I can do.

Like Cucaratcha said, something regional would be a good idea. Have you seen (photos of) their house? If they're the type to have candles and things, the scented candles might be a good idea. Do they have a bathtub? Maybe a bubble bath or bath bomb?

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

I'm gonna cook for them as well in april, my girlfriend told me they are all bad cookers in their house

Comment

I think chocolates are always a good idea. Although maybe not the easiest thing to carry on a plane.

You could always pick them up at the airport after you land?
              Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

How about offering to cook a meal?

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

If you want to bring wine, but want a different kind of wine, you could get each of them a small bottle of icewine. If you go the candle route, go to the bay, they have their candles on sale 25% off all candles and I think they still have the 40% off on the yankee candles.

Maple Syrup always works too (if you live in or near Toronto, go to St. Lawrence Market, you can get 1L of Maple Syrup for $22)

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone! The final decision is to give them some of the cookies I'm making, but give it to them in a cookie jar that they can keep for their own cookies afterwards.

Cooking would have been great too, but I'm meeting them shortly after flying in and there's no time to prepare anything...dinner would have ended up being VERY late.

"You know it's love when you want to keep holding hands even after you're sweaty."
                    -- Anonymous

Comment

I want to get my SOs parents a Christmas present, and since I don't know what they like, I was thinking a gift certificate for dinner for two at a nice restaurant or a gift basket with some nice wine and food. Those were my ideas.

Comment

Working...
                      X