Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worried Parents abouts traveling abroad alone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MadMolly View Post
    Malaysia should be fine to travel to, it's a popular tourist destination. My family and I have been there on a few holidays when I was a kid and we never had any problems, just make sure you ALWAYS keep an eye on your bag etc because the worst thing that can happen when in southeast asian countries is being caught with drugs... that's a severe prison sentence regardless of whether its yours or if someone slipped something in your bag!
    MadMolly : I read your two posts and I am happy you enjoyed your trip to Malaysia!! Kuala Lumpur and Penang? Awesome! A lot of people do not even know Malaysia's existence.

To my Archangel : yes, I don't mean to scare you but it is the death sentence for most Asian Countries on drug trafficking. But trust me, if you are careful with your belongings, lock up everything, the chances are very VERY much lowered. It does not happen often. Rare. And I have seen the websites suggested to you, very interesting, though they hold certain truths to it, but a lot of them are also exaggerating. Its not necessary to fake any accents including the American accent. Why must an Islamic country be always linked with America? I guess different people have different opinions.. Just take on my accent then, the localized Malaysian Chinese Accent, ain't that cool? heehee

Comment

Maybe you could get your parents to email each other if they cannot talk on the phone?

Comment

It's natural your parents are worried, like everyone else said. They will always worry about you. My mother still worries about me and my 5 siblings, even my oldest brother who is in his late 30s. I hope you can work something out that will help them worry less.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluestars View Post
          Maybe you could get your parents to email each other if they cannot talk on the phone?
          I actually today spoke to her and brought it up... suggesting that our parents talk. She is for it... we just need to coordinate a day. I also told to my parents today... and they would be willing. Like I said... we just need to find a day. And it will probably be over the phone since my parents are that tech savy.

now i'm just waiting for the phone call back... so I can start working (hopefully on weekends)
          "Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle...rather a beautiful reminder of just how strong true love can be." ~ Anonymous
          "Since love grows within you, so beauty grows. For love is the beauty of the soul." ~ St. Augustine
          "True love is rare, so when you find it don't let it go just because of a barrier you can't cross". ~ Ray H Wall

Chris and Megan - November 3rd 2009- (Break from June 15- )July 18th 2011.

Comment

I agree that it's normal for your parents to be worried, and you should definitely try to find as much info as possible. I traveled alone to Chile, Argentina, and Brazil (as a 20 year old woman) and though my parents weren't fond of the idea at first, when they saw I really did a lot of research and was being responsible about planning the trip, knowing safety tips, etc, they warmed up to the idea. Just to put things in perspective (although South America and Malaysia are very different in a lot of ways), In my 7 months traveling and living there, I never once was robbed, mugged, assaulted, framed, etc. But I also took precautions, not flaunting my camera or expensive electronics, not going out at night alone.

You'll be fine, and Malaysia is great! I went with my family once (Kuala Lumpur and Taman Negara Nat'l Park) and we all loved it. I only spent a little time there, but I didn't really feel unsafe walking around Kuala Lumpur, the locals were usually very helpful.

Good for you for taking on this adventure, and just be prepared so your parents feel more comfortable! Check out lonelyplanet.com (and their online forum community) for information about traveling in general and about Malaysia and Indonesia.

Best of Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Elena View Post
              I agree that it's normal for your parents to be worried, and you should definitely try to find as much info as possible. I traveled alone to Chile, Argentina, and Brazil (as a 20 year old woman) and though my parents weren't fond of the idea at first, when they saw I really did a lot of research and was being responsible about planning the trip, knowing safety tips, etc, they warmed up to the idea. Just to put things in perspective (although South America and Malaysia are very different in a lot of ways), In my 7 months traveling and living there, I never once was robbed, mugged, assaulted, framed, etc. But I also took precautions, not flaunting my camera or expensive electronics, not going out at night alone.

You'll be fine, and Malaysia is great! I went with my family once (Kuala Lumpur and Taman Negara Nat'l Park) and we all loved it. I only spent a little time there, but I didn't really feel unsafe walking around Kuala Lumpur, the locals were usually very helpful.

Good for you for taking on this adventure, and just be prepared so your parents feel more comfortable! Check out lonelyplanet.com (and their online forum community) for information about traveling in general and about Malaysia and Indonesia.

Best of Luck!
              I think most of those precautions they mention are common sense. Also just to be careful and watch your things... I'll just remember to get a lock for my backpack I plan on taking with me.
              Thanks!! I shall check out that sight... I might join the forums.
              "Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle...rather a beautiful reminder of just how strong true love can be." ~ Anonymous
              "Since love grows within you, so beauty grows. For love is the beauty of the soul." ~ St. Augustine
              "True love is rare, so when you find it don't let it go just because of a barrier you can't cross". ~ Ray H Wall

Comment

https://www.asia-planet.net/malaysia...s.htm#currency
                https://www.worldtravelguide.net/cou...Indonesia.html

my Megan found these websites....
                But does anyone know where in Canada I'd have to go to get my Tourist Visa for Indonesia?

https://indonesia.visahq.ca/
                Last edited by archangel; March 3, 2010, 08:48 PM.

Comment

UPDATE:
                  Well... yesterday my SO and my parents talked for the first time. Unfortunately there wasn't any ground made on our trip plans and at feel more like a 50/50 chance I'll be going.
                  All because what is going on in this world... and the economic turmoil. *sigh*
                  My trip might be delayed or might not happen this year... But the thing is I really want to go on holiday this summer.
                  My horoscope couldn't have said it any clearer today...
                  Saturday, March 13th, 2010(Taurus)--Even if you thought you knew what you were doing, you aren't as clear about your goals now. It's as if the fog rolled in to obscure your view. But it's not just about what you can see ahead of you, for your thinking is also fuzzier today. Give yourself a day or two of downtime and use the weekend to let your fantasies take you on a detour. You should feel refreshed enough to swing into action next week.
                  tarot.com

Comment

well the reason why a girl doesnt want to travel first is ... I think its a preconceived notion that its risky for a girl to meet a guy first what with all those media going around about scams and stuff.

but its also courtesy and respect and genuine (how to say... in chinese is cheng yi meaning offering to show your sincerity).

Besides you are a guy. It doesn't matter if you pay for a plane ticket or not. Oh by the way its much more expensive flying from Malaysia to canada than vice versa. It was the case for my bf who lives in Singapore.

where about malaysia is she? Kuala Lampor or Johor Bahru? those places should be safe.

Comment

oh for Indonesia ... I know..even if you aren't going..

don't get it in Canada unless you are going for more than 30 days...
                      get it when you enter Indonesia and get the tourist visa there.. although its like 25 dollar american.. but its cheaper and quite fast.

also my bf came to meet me alone and I went to meet him alone after that.

It will work out.. you just have to gut it out the first time and its easier the 2nd time.
                      Last edited by Naori; May 5, 2010, 12:35 PM.

Comment

i havent read the other replies but a simple solution to me would be to give her the money you were going to use to get a flight to her country so she can fly to canada?
                        i know you have probably thought of this already but.. just incase you havent
                        good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by archangel View Post
                          UPDATE:
                          Well... yesterday my SO and my parents talked for the first time. Unfortunately there wasn't any ground made on our trip plans and at feel more like a 50/50 chance I'll be going.
                          All because what is going on in this world... and the economic turmoil. *sigh*
                          My trip might be delayed or might not happen this year... But the thing is I really want to go on holiday this summer.
                          My horoscope couldn't have said it any clearer today...
                          That's creepy... I called it and it happened

Anyways here is a bit more of our dilemma:
                          It is impossible for her to come to Canada since I have to meet her parents first. But I do not know if she asked them about it. For me is it hard to go to Malaysia since it is in the east and because of those few and rare drug events which made the news are making my parents worried; they are also worried about my education... seeing if I go I won't follow though and my health. The thing is I would only be gone for two weeks (and maybe a few days more), so I would be back in Canada sooner and able to continue everything I was doing before my trip.
                          There must be something I have overlooked which could help me get across the point that Malaysia is safe.

Comment

Working...
                          X