Mood Swings + BC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mood Swings + BC

Wasn't sure specifically where to put this, but it's been on my mind a lot.

I've been on my birth control for about two years and because of my healthcare situation I don't get a lot of options for what I take. For a while I was pretty ok with it, no adverse effects and it kept me regular. Lately however it's become very noticeable to me, and my SO when I switch to the sugar pills and when I switch back. For two-three days I'm nearly inconsolable and much more likely to start talking about walking out if there's a lot of stress going on at the same time. For those wondering, I take Aviane/Alesse. I try all my usual coping methods, tried adapting new ones, but it's still the same thing every month.

Is it just the BC? Should I try talking to my doctor and switching? Anyone else out there with this problem? How do you cope with it?

I think mine are a bit different to yours but 1 or 2 days before I am meant to start taking them again I am exactly the same as how you described until I am back on them.

However the doctor has prescribed me antidepressants (for other reasons too) and they have seemed to of calmed me down a bit.

Maybe talking to your Doctor might help.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
      I think mine are a bit different to yours but 1 or 2 days before I am meant to start taking them again I am exactly the same as how you described until I am back on them.

However the doctor has prescribed me antidepressants (for other reasons too) and they have seemed to of calmed me down a bit.

Maybe talking to your Doctor might help.
      I probably should be on antidepressants, since I've been diagnosed with depression since I was in high school. I just never liked taking them. But that could've been because I was young, they have a hard time getting the doses right with nearly any medication for me.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyEcstsasy View Post
        I probably should be on antidepressants, since I've been diagnosed with depression since I was in high school. I just never liked taking them. But that could've been because I was young, they have a hard time getting the doses right with nearly any medication for me.
        I'm on them for Panic Attacks so I have a pretty low dosage.
        The first 3 weeks of taking them was awful, I was feeling sick constantly and forgetting everything. But after my body got used to them things started getting better.
        I should be on a higher dose, but I don't really want to go through being ill again and I think I can manage on what I'm on.

A lot less crying.

Comment

maybe you could skip the sugar pills most months, just have a period a couple times a year? at least you could control when this happened, and not have to deal monthly.

Comment

Originally posted by garnet View Post
            maybe you could skip the sugar pills most months, just have a period a couple times a year? at least you could control when this happened, and not have to deal monthly.
            I actually don't take the sugar pills. I tried taking them, tried not taking them to see if there was a difference. Unfortunately there isn't. I still have a complete melt down the minute I stop taking the regular pills and a second, slightly less traumatic one, when I resume taking them.

Comment

you know i just started BC the week after I got home from visiting my SO, for having long periods (4-6 weeks long). And I have noticed since I have started taking them I am more emotional in general. I am sooo much more sensitive to such petty little things. i think its also stress induced. ugh, but I hate BC, i'd rather not be on it.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyEcstsasy View Post
                I actually don't take the sugar pills. I tried taking them, tried not taking them to see if there was a difference. Unfortunately there isn't. I still have a complete melt down the minute I stop taking the regular pills and a second, slightly less traumatic one, when I resume taking them.
                Do you mean that you go from the last active pill in a month, to the first active pill in the next pack? Or are you taking a break in between so that you can have your period? I'm sorry, this confused me a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by garnet View Post
                  Do you mean that you go from the last active pill in a month, to the first active pill in the next pack? Or are you taking a break in between so that you can have your period? I'm sorry, this confused me a little bit.
                  Sorry, mine is 3 weeks of active pills, a week of the sugar pills, during which I get my period, and then I start a new pack with 3 weeks of active pills. I always take a week off so I get a monthly period.

Comment

I think what garnet is trying to tell you is to take 2 or 3 packs back to back. I always take 2 packs back to back and it's awesome. So instead of taking a week off, after the 3 weeks of active pills go right into a new pack of active pills. Though I have a feeling this could possibly combine the effects of the hormones.

Definitely talk to your doctor about getting on lo-dosage hormone pills.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                      I think what garnet is trying to tell you is to take 2 or 3 packs back to back. I always take 2 packs back to back and it's awesome. So instead of taking a week off, after the 3 weeks of active pills go right into a new pack of active pills. Though I have a feeling this could possibly combine the effects of the hormones.

Definitely talk to your doctor about getting on lo-dosage hormone pills.
                      I'll have to see about trying that. The only worry I'd have is, like you said, the combine effect of the hormones might make it worse. Also because my healthcare situation is rather wobbly, I may be having to pay for these prescriptions on my own soon and not taking that week off will start adding up in the number of refills I'll have to order. Still, if I get a chance to talk to my doctor about it, I will. My body is pretty sensative to medicine dosage, usually if I take what's considered a "standard dose" for other people, it's too much for me, so I'm already taking what is considered "ulta-low-dosage" because it only contains .02mg of estrogen (the lowest you can get lol). I'm too much at risk to take the mini pills.

Comment

It could very well be the BC pills. When I first started taking them the brand I was using was ok at first, but I noticed that I would get terrible mood swings. I literally would walk out of the house angry in the middle of the night to clear my head. I NEEDED to do it or it would just build and build inside me. I'd never done anything like that in my life before. I talked to my doctor and they said some brands have different affects for different women. She put me on another brand and I felt tons better and no more mood swings. Also, when I went completely off them I went back to normal, so I really think they were the BC pills.

Comment

I just read that you are talking about antidepressants.
                          I have someone in my family who is taking them for the reason of real bad headache (she tried with many other medicine and went to different doctors but nothing else helps)

IIf there are other options I wouldnt take the antidepressants because they are really strong! Even though you put a LOT of weight on!! Just wanted to say this.

I would go to your doctor and talk about the feelings you have, the mood swings etc.
                          Another BC will help maybe, or another option to use a contraceptive?

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. I'd hate to have to switch to a different type of contraceptives. I know I'm limited on a lot of my hormonal options. The patches would probably be a lot worse. Might consider the ring. I don't know anyone who's on it though or what kind of price it would be. Otherwise I might try switching to the other brand of ultra-low-dosage pill and see if I have any better luck on it.

Comment

One of my roommates is on Nuvaring, and she said it's pretty expensive. I can't remember the exact price she said. I'm on the same birth control that you're on, and I know that there are definitely times when they affect me more than at others.
                              "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
                              Made it official: September 17, 2010
                              Got engaged: January 15, 2012
                              Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
                              Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
                              Got married: November 21, 2012
                              Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
                              Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Working...
                              X