Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you give up your citizenship for your SO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you give up your citizenship for your SO?

For those in international LDRs, would you give up your natural citizenship for your SO?

If my SO and I get married and settled down, we've sort of decided it would be him coming here. I'm all about trying out new things and not getting too comfortable, but I'm funny about changing things that I feel define me as a person. Like I won't be changing my last name if/when I marry. And I would NEVER want to give up my USA passport. I would love to live in different countries (and plan to do so) but I want to hold onto my dark blue passport. I think it would be really hard for me to give it up...

Thoughts from the rest of the community?

Most people don't realize this, but you don't always have to give up citizenship in one place ot live elsewhere. I will be a permanent resident in Australia in about 18 months, and I don't have to become a citizen unless I want to. I think I might be able to do dual citizenship, actually.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Yeah I did know that. But when you keep your USA passport you still have to pay taxes in the USA. I guess I haven't looked into it too much, but I've heard it's such a hassle to hold onto a USA citizenship when living somewhere else that it's sometimes not even worth it.

Comment

Perhaps this is something you should make clear with your SO. If, in the future, you would relocate to a different country make it clear that you want to retain your citizenship regardless of what it takes. There are also immigration lawyers for this sort of thing, perhaps you should ask them what you're allowed to do.

Also - depending on the laws of the country where you're moving, you may not even have to be a citizen to relocate there.

Comment

I have thought about this, and I've decided I will try the dual citizenship route, if it's feasible. Otherwise, yes, I'd give up my citizenship once I was sure that I'd not be leaving.
          Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

No matter what, I want to be a Canadian. I'd do dual citizenship, but I would never give up my status as a Canadian. Good thing Brandon's Canadian too

Comment

NO. Staying a citizen after being naturalized. This country's pretty good . Good thing he's got an appetite for adventure, and would not be against the idea of living here if when he visits in the future he likes it.

Comment

I wouldn't give up my citizenship. I always want to be known as a Kiwi I am getting going to be getting my British passport soon, thanks to my dad being English so I can have dual citizenship which allows me to possibly live in Germany with my SO if we go down that road

Comment

Since Ray and I are US/Canada, it's more likely that one of us will try to get a dual citizenship. But if I had to give up my Canadian citizenship, I wouldn't be too broken up about it. I know in my heart that I am a Canadian and don't need legal documentation to say otherwise. This is where I grew up and it'll always be a part of me. Also, I'd still retain immediate family that don't have plans to leave the country. If I wanted my citizenship back they could sponsor me, so I don't think it'd be as difficult to get back compared to gaining another one. :/

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                    Yeah I did know that. But when you keep your USA passport you still have to pay taxes in the USA. I guess I haven't looked into it too much, but I've heard it's such a hassle to hold onto a USA citizenship when living somewhere else that it's sometimes not even worth it.
                    You only have to pay taxes if you have taxable income in that country. Under $1000 a year from the country doesn't qualify as taxable income. Keeping your passport isn't related directly to paying taxes.

My mom has a dual citizenship with the US and Spain, and I know that for Spain at least, she's never had to pay taxes - just show her birth certificate/old passport to get a new one.

ETA: I forgot to add that of course, if you had back taxes you didn't pay for as you should, a passport application would probably be held, but that's illegal in and of itself, hence why a passport application would be withheld.
                    Last edited by Silviar; February 11, 2011, 09:34 PM.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Silviar is correct, you only have to pay taxes in the US if you've earned income in the US. I will have dual citizenship, as my daughter does, BUT if I had to give up citizenship to be with my SO, I would.

Everything I know, and anywhere I go, It gets hard but it won't take away my love,
                      And when the last one falls, when it's all said and done, It gets hard but it won't take away my love

sigpic

Me without Him is like Son of Beast without the loop.

Comment

Well I'm hopefully getting a "spouse visa" to Japan when that time comes, which gives me all the rights as a Japanese citizen, except I can't vote. (I'll survive). But, if I really had to give up my Danish citizenship, I probably would. Japan doesn't allow dual citizenships.

Comment

I think I'm already debating it actually. Not much ties to me the U.S except my love for the warm southern weather and the strange people of Austin but there is so much more for me with her in Wales. It doesn't seem like much of a hard decision for me, if she wants me there full time, I'll find a way.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauntedpoet View Post
                            Silviar is correct, you only have to pay taxes in the US if you've earned income in the US. I will have dual citizenship, as my daughter does, BUT if I had to give up citizenship to be with my SO, I would.
                            As far as I know, this is incorrect. I live in France and, according to my tax man, I have to claim my French earnings on my US taxes. So I currently pay (very high) French taxes and US taxes. FUN!

From the IRS:
                            If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, the rules for filing income, estate, and gift tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside.
                            There are some exceptions to this. If you live abroad 330+ days out of the year you can exclude up to $74,000 worth of income.

Complicated stuff. Back to the question: I wouldn't give up my citizenship for anyone/anything. I am proud to be American and I wouldn't give up the chance to live in America or be in the same country as my family

Comment

Depends on countries, but sometimes it can be easier to get the nationality of the country you want to live in.
                              In Switzerland, if you aren't european or from the States, Canada, or another "rich" country like that, it could be a little bit easier for you if you becom Swiss... Well, you can do without, my father isn't Swiss and he has been living here for 20 years without problems... The difference is small... maybe to find a job, some companies are more likely to hire Swiss people first...

Comment

Working...
                              X