Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you give up your citizenship for your SO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think when it comes to that time, I will look up the pros and cons of dual and full citizenship, and pick the best one. Though I would have no problem giving up my british citizenship, it would be nice have dual, so I can keep hold of some of my identity at least...

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
    <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
    The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
    <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
    <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
    Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
    Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

And a British passport is good as you don't need many visas to travel, same with an EU or a US Passport...
      That's the main problem of my SO who is Colombian... visas... a nightmare.
      I'd be happy if in a future she could get the Swiss one, and not have to worry anymore with those things...

Comment

As bad as Indonesia could be... i wont gave up my citizenship no matter where i will live in future. Its where i come from.. part of my identity. If i could have it forever i would!

Comment

We're both EU citizens and our countries allow dual citizenship, so that's probably what we (or one of us) will aim for.
          It's really not that neccessary in the EU, we're even allowed to vote in local elections in a different EU country that we don't have citizenship of if we've lived somewhere for a certain period of time without.
          I'd want to be able to also vote for the national government in the country I live in though, especially once I'll hace children.

If I was immigrating to my SO's county for good and dual citizenship wasn't allowed I'd probably give up mine. A passport doesn't define who I am. I'll most likely still feel German, no matter what my passport said.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Originally posted by mllebamako View Post
            As far as I know, this is incorrect. I live in France and, according to my tax man, I have to claim my French earnings on my US taxes. So I currently pay (very high) French taxes and US taxes. FUN!
            But haven't you lived over 330 days out of the country? Why do you have to claim it then - is it because it's in multiple countries?

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Yeah sorry, I made too many assumptions on her post - I also knew about the 330 days rule, but I assumed you'd be living out of the country fulltime if you were discussing giving up citizenship.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

I'm thanking my lucky stars this isn't something I have worry about - I'm glad Australia/Canada allow dual citizenship.

Renouncing your citizenship is something you should do lots of research on and be absolutely certain that's what you want. Good luck hun xx

Comment

I feel that giving up my American citizenship would be like a slap to the face to my mother. She crossed the border illegally from Mexico when she was only 13-years-old all by herself, and ended up bringing a crapload of family back with her by the time she was 18 (2 parents, 11 siblings, 1 nephew). If I ever give up my citizenship, I feel like all her hard work to have all future generations of the family grow up in the US would've been for nothing. I couldn't possibly do that to my mother. I'm a good boy, mommy comes first :P. Hell, I wouldn't even move from here unless I absolutely needed to (I become a fugitive, zombie apocalypse, ect). As for my Mexican citizenship (gotta love dual ;D), I like it :P. It would feel weird to give it up. I might not like Mexico at all right now, but that's still where my family came from. I'd feel ungrateful giving that up.

Before anyone calls INS, my mom and all other members have been legally in the US since the amnesty back in the '80s! D:<

Comment

yeah i would, i mean once i do the settlement visa after the 2 years is up i have a choice on either re doing the settlement visa or getting full citizenship of the UK and im probably gonna go with changing my citizenship if were still living in the UK by then

Comment

Originally posted by Silviar View Post
                      But haven't you lived over 330 days out of the country? Why do you have to claim it then - is it because it's in multiple countries?
                      In 2010, I haven't lived out of the country for over 330 days. Close to it but no cigar Between leaving Mali and coming to France, I stayed with my parents for a month and a half.

Comment

I think it's very very wrong to live perminantly in a country and not go for citizenship... and I will aquire Canadian citizenship as soon as I can. However if that meant giving up my Aussie status... and luckily it doesn't... Erk. I know eventually I would do it... But I would be so crushed and resentful I'm not sure it'd be worth it.

My brother in law holds duel Aussie/American citizenship and lives in Oz. He doesn't and never has paid American taxes.
                        Last edited by Zephii; February 12, 2011, 10:24 AM.
                        Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Rane is going to become a US Citizen as soon as he has completed his minimum time as a permanent resident, and I would go for Canadian citizenship if I were the one that had made the move. I'll always be American... I mean, I was born in South Dakota, but now live in Kansas. I didn't stop being from S.D. because I live here now. Not the same thing I know, but it makes good sense in my head. *nod*

Comment

Thankfully my SO and I are both American but I think I would want dual citizenship. My mom was born in Canada and moved to the States when she was 5. She became a naturalized citizen and had to give her Canadian citizenship up. It makes me sad that although she was born there she isn't still a citizen. And I believe neither is my Grandfather who was born and lived in Canada for a majority of his life.
                            If my SO was from a different country I would not want to give my US citizenship up. Not now that I have lived in the US for over 19 years. This IS my home.

Comment

I wouldn't mind giving up my citizenship if it means being with my SO.
                              "Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue,
                              a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them
                              which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky."
                              - Rainer Maria Rilke

"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet,
                              regardless of time, place, or circumstance.
                              The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break."
                              - an ancient Chinese belief

Comment

If it meant living with him forever and never being separated again, then yeah I would move to brazil, but he's pretty determined to move to America. Though, i have toyed with idea of moving to him.

Comment

Working...
                                X