How long before your first BIG fight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long before your first BIG fight?

Arguments with couples are bound to happen, especially with LDRs I suppose because of the additional stress it brings onto each individual. How long were you 'together' with your SO before you had your first big fight?

We are pushing 3 months and (knock on wood) so far nothing like that.. we have had talks but never had to hang up or go to bed angry, we managed to always talk it out if something was misunderstood or bothering the other one and worth through it. Are we an oddity? We have actually laughingly said we needed to "pretend" fight to have makeup sex O.o but haven't really had the need to do that either.. just curious about everyone else
    Three words. Fill my racing mind. Leave me breathless. Lost in time.
    Three words. Fill my endless dreams. Repair my heart. Mend the seams.
    Three words. Fill your heart too. Three words pronounced. I love you.

~~~~~~

You look in the mirror, you don't like what you see, don't believe it.
    Look in my eyes, I am the only mirror you're ever gonna need.

Met online: 12/24/10 Met In Person: 2/24/11 Distance Closed: 4/24/11
    Not one regret, not one backwards look, only towards the future and beyond!

We've been together a year and a few months and have yet to have a fight. We went traveling for two months and had disagreements and got on each others nerves but no flights.

Comment

I don't think we've ever had anything that could constitute as a fight, but the closest we came was somewhere around the 6 month mark back in July, basically because of a so-called friend. I hadn't heard from him in the timeframe of 3 weeks, he wasn't responding to my texts or phone calls and I was pretty much fearing the worst. I went to my best friend at the time and she filled my head with all this nonsense so that instead of being worried, I was about as pissed as I could get. I started leaving nasty messages on his phone, my text messages were even worse and at one point I was considering telling him if he couldn't be bothered with me then he could take this relationship and eat it. Contacted me after maybe a month, he'd been out of town with his mom who'd been in the hospital from a diabetic episode. Long story short his mom and he do not get along at all and so he was pretty upset about that, the fact it was the anniversary of his stepdad's death, and that his mom's boyfriend was trying to push him out of his mom's life. He didn't contact me BECAUSE I was angry (he's non-confrontational and figured I'd chill eventually) and I felt like a huge idiot. Needless to say I stopped going to that friend for advice.

Comment

3 months, last December, we had our first major disagreement, that led to the break that wasn't really a break. And nothing since.

When we love, it isn't because the person's perfect, it's because we learn to see an imperfect person perfectly.

True love does not worry about the distance between, for the heart and soul travels through one's words

When two people are meant for each other, no time is too long, no distance is too far, and no one can ever tear them apart.

1 universe, 9 planets, 7 continents, 194 countries, 50 states and 10 provinces...and I had the privilege to meet you.

Comment

We've been together for six months and nothing major yet. We had a short break up (only about two days) in November, but because he wanted to take the easy route. Other than that, we haven't had any big fights. We always seem to be able to talk it out before we get to that point.
          "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
          Made it official: September 17, 2010
          Got engaged: January 15, 2012
          Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
          Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
          Got married: November 21, 2012
          Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
          Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

We recently had our first big fight (but not like the screaming kind)- right around the 4 month mark. It spawned from a supposed miscommunication on his part- I took offense and he wouldn't really own up to it. We bickered and then I ended the call but then wound up calling him a few days later to say fighting sucks, he agreed.

I have a friend who swears you absolutely cannot determine whether or not a person is right for you until you have your first real fight. At the 2-month mark with my SO I already felt like I was in it for the long run and my friend just warned me not to et ahead of myself. His logic is that you need to see how people fight- ie. will they hit below the belt, bring up your past, give you the silent treatment after? Obviously some fighting styles are more compatible. I see a lot of logic in what he says. During the fight with my SO, he made a comment comparing me to his brother which I really did not like because a) he doesn't even get along with his brother b) I don't even get along with his brother. So, I had to let him know off the bat that is not cool and he absolutely cannot make that comparison again. I really had no idea he would even go there. I guess it's all part of the overall getting to really know someone deal.

Comment

Our first argument/fight actually happened before we started going out. It was the only one of its kind during our friends-only phase. Since we've started dating, we've only had one argument, and this was actually yesterday (almost 4 months in). Neither of us let it turn into a real fight, and we ended things on a positive note.

I really like what your friend says about fighting, books. It does make a lot of sense. I can't say for certain that I know my SO's fighting style, because we've only squabbled a few times, but it seems to me that while we both can get aggressive, my SO is something of a peacemaker, which encourages the same sort of behavior from me. It's pretty encouraging, actually.
              sigpic

Comment

I think it was in mid-December, so that would be almost 5 months. But we got past it, like we do with every fight that comes along.

Comment

Our first real fight happened around november last year, so I little over a year of dating. It was about which nation first invented ice cream. Yes. I know. Freaking stupid. We laugh about it now...

Since we have had a few... him doing something without realizing he'd done anything, then me getting pissed because he did it and wasn't sensitive enough to realize... then I go on passive-aggressive mode... not pretty. But we've got through every single one fine in the end

He almost ended it with me BECAUSE we hadn't had a fight yet when we were close distance. He said our relationship had never been "tested", so we wouldn't know how to deal with long distance. Well, I convinced him, and Long distance is the test- and brought out some fights along with it.

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
                  <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
                  The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
                  <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
                  <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
                  Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
                  Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Closest thing would be two months ago, when telling my parents made me hysterical and decide to end it/take the easy route. I did so. It made him sad. It made me sad. But then I wavered, and immediately began sending mixed messages, which made him pissed, and demand to know what in the hell was up with me. But in the end I haven't seen him really get angry again, or even that angry then-it was short lived. He's too rational for that, in a way.

Comment

I think its 3 months... in January we had arguments just a miss communication...

Comment

We've been together a little over 2 years and we had our first major fight at the 6 month point.

Comment

Honestly I can't remember... we had a couple of silly fights at the beginning but we didn't have a big fight till later in the relationship. If I had to guess I would say maybe after 6 months? I really don't know. Kyle probably remembers, he has a good memory.. mine just purely sucks.

I'm not telling you it's going to be easy.
                          I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.

Comment

We haven't had a fight yet. We've had a few moments where one of us screws up and the other gets annoyed, but every time the person who screws up knows it and apologizes flat out. I'm sure we'll have our fair share, they just haven't happened yet. I do know that both of us hate confrontation, so we'll either be good at fighting with eachother because we'll know what to avoid or we'll both be supersensitive and both get our feelings hurt and it'll take ages for us to forgive each other. We'll see how it goes.

"You know it's love when you want to keep holding hands even after you're sweaty."
                            -- Anonymous

Comment

I guess it really comes down to what you consider a fight. We've had disagreements, but mostly when it comes to his being particularly protective of me. I went someplace with friends that he did not approve of (and I can't really blame him), and he got upset that I would actually go. It erupted into a whole 'I need my freedom' speech, but afterwards we talked it out, and that's how we usually always handle things. There's disagreements, but we talk everything out.

Comment

Working...
                              X