Family concerns, advice/support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family concerns, advice/support

This is hard for me, because he is usually the one that's stronger for the both of us to get us through. But I'm having to be at the moment.

Let me give you some background, we've been together for five years (since we met) and I have visisted him 3 times, staying with him and his family. He's been studying at Uni, and a couple of months ago, he decided he needed at least 6months-1year break from his study. As he had to move away from home to study, he lost his job (so therefore was stressed about money), couldn't find a new one, missed his family and friends and was depressed and struggling with his studies because of it. Because of those things, he decided to take a break and recover himself at home, get his job back and to get a break from the stress of it all.

However, since he's been home, especially in the last month, his mum has been trying to be really controlling, she's been yelling at him for no reason, she abuses him, threatens him (she texted him one day "I hope becca likes sleeping on your friend's couch, because you won't be living here much longer if you don't come home"). She is basically acting like a child. As far as I can tell, my SO has done nothing wrong. It seems that if she and his dad (to a much lesser extent) are simply harbouring some horrible grudge about him taking time off Uni. She yelled at him for trashing for her car, when he went to look, the only thing that was out of place was that there was a bit of dirt on the floor mat, he shook it off and put it back. She yells at him for spending too much time at his friend's house, and yet he feels driven there because of the stressful situation at home. She yelled at him for having stuff on top of his dresser, tv cabinet, desk etc and told him he should have absolutely nothing on them. The stuff was nothing more than the usual clutter that people have on those. One day when he didn't come home when she wanted, she trashed his room, pushing everything from those surfaces onto his floor. She threatens to kick him out, but at the same time, my SO tells me that he thinks she just wants him around more and to do what she wants when she wants, but she's simply having the opposite effect.

He doesn't want to severe the ties with his family, he doesn't want to move out and he/we can't afford it, yet he hates being at home because of how stressful it is. I feel really helpless, but have been trying to support him as best I can. The reason that this worries me so much, is that I'm scheduled to be there at the end of next month. He promises me that he'll make sure it's sorted by then, and as much I appreciate that, it's hard to know how long it will actually last. I know I'm not any good in stressful agressive/yelling situations, they frighten me and make me feel ill. So I really don't want to be in that sort of environment. I know at the end of the day, that it doesn't really matter where we are, simply that I get to be with him. But I don't want our visit to be spoiled by a bad situation.

Any advice or support on this? Someone must have the magic words to make it all better? :P
    Together since: Feb 23rd 2005.
    First met: June 13th 2006

it sounds like his mom is just... having trouble with the whole thing. Parents have expectations that their child will do certain things (graduate college in 4 years, get married by this time, get this sort of job, etc). When their kids don't fall exactly into that it can be hard for them and sometimes it is even their anger at their own expectations that makes them lash out at their children. I've been in a similar situation to your SO, but not the same. Another possibility is that your SO's parents are not used to him being an adult so they are trying to treat him like a teenager and when he is not a teenager they...are flustered. It's probably a combination of those two things. They probably never really saw him as an adult and now they're angry that he is taking a year off (statistically it's harder for people who take time off of college to get back in again and finish their degree).

It really sounds like they all need to go to some sort of family counselling. He's probably not doing anything wrong, but his attitude might set her off, whether it's a laid back one or if he's stressed and kind of snaps back at her. It might also help if he at least tried to get a job in the meantime. It would show them that he's not just giving up and this is just a temporary predicament. Also, if he managed to land a job and things didn't cool off he might be able to move out.

Sorry I can't be more help. Hope all goes well!

Comment

I guess I should have added that he's 24, so it's not like he's simply being a stubborn teenager, lol. But you seemed to have picked up that he was no longer in his teens. He does have his job back though, he got that within 2 weeks of arriving back home I think, so they can't be mad about that, he is trying. I think you are right though about the fact that they're not used to the fact that he's an adult. He said a similar thing himself, because he was younger when he went away for his studies, and now that he's back he's older but they've missed the transition. So his different reactions are hard for them to accept.

He's a fairly patient and level-headed person argument wise, and can have very reasonable discussions, but I think he feels that he can't bring any of it up to his mum without her yelling, like she can't just discuss it. In any case, I doubt they'd take to counselling. Thanks for the response Gives me some more to think about in any case.

Comment

yeah, when I moved back from college my dad would get mad at me for everything and sometimes would randomly come to my room to yell at me and tell me how ungrateful I was. Eventually I got it worked out with them, so I know how that feels.

*hugs* y'all will get through it and I will pray for ya'll ^^

Comment

They sound alot like my parents If i were to take ANY time off of school my life would change so much. I'd have to get a full time job pay for all my bills everything would be on my shoulders. And my parents dont like me with my BF so i get yelled @ for minor things and hate being home but have no where to go and i cant afford to move out. So i understand your BF's situation it may get better if he would just go back to college @ least then he would be able to get away from them?

Comment

I hadn't thought about him going back to college. The reason he came home in the first place was because he was simply so stressed from college and he needed to clear his head. If he goes back to college more stressed than when he left, it's not going to be any better for him.

They don't put nearly so much pressure on his older brother or twin sister. It's only him that does wrong all the time. Maybe it's a normal parent thing, but my parents were never mad unreasonably and didn't get in any way annoyed when I wanted to take a year off after finishing school to go to Uni. I don't know. It's just stressful. Hoping it works out though.

Comment

My parents did the same thing to me but not to my two older brothers. it's often just unmet expectations on their part that he couldn't have met anyway. He really needs to sit them down and have a talk if he can and ask them what's wrong and why they're acting like that. It may cause his mom to do a lot of yelling and he needs to make sure to keep his tone calm and not make really accusatory statements (for instance, don't ask, "Why are you treating me like this?" but instead, "Is there something you feel I've done wrong?"). I'm sure he can work it out.

Comment

Working...
              X